Quantcast
Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar
Old 24th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I achieved a fantastic sound recording a steel string acoustic guitar (picked and slide) and Dobro using the following tools:

Mics - 2 x U87ais (and 2 x KM 184s used interchangeably).

Mic pre- Doug Jane 2A73 (Neve 1073 clone) dual pre.

Compressors - Manley VariMu (and Buzz Audio SOC 1.1 used interchangeably).

Reverb - Lexicon 480L.

Converter - Rosetta 800 192 (recorded at 96 khz).

No EQ was required.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Nut

28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SM57 pointing at bridge about 20-25 cm from the guitar into my UA 6176 with some compr sounded great for a rock song lately. Guitar fast picking with pick. Really enjoyed it. But who knows what I'll do next time goof

Sent from my E10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamic MC930
Old 25th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict ➑️
What a stupid question.
And of course every stupid question deserves a stupid answer

Actually, in this field, there are no stupid questions. We are here to learn right?
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Stereo pair of Mojave MA-100's into neve 1073's. A beautiful thing. As others have said, you need a good player and a good guitar. I'm loving the Bourgeois Slope D acoustic.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Daking Mic Pre One is my favorite for acoustic guitar. Chimey!
Old 26th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have had tremendous success with an SF 24 going through a pair of stereo linked GML 2020's . . . By the time you consider ADC it's a 20K signal path though I also like Schoeps cmc6 through the GML 2020 . . .
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am presently trying out a Buzz Audio MA.2.2. It sounds wonderful on guitar. It is so open, clear and wide. Amazing. Sounds great with no EQ, minimal compression and a touch of reverb. It is the only reverb I have ever tried that captures the sound I hear when I play guitar.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
John Hardy for the preamp
+1 on the John Hardy
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
LaChapell 992 EG with schoeps cmc 64 set
amazing.
Old 1st March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Love the

Pacifica &
Avalon AD 2022

on steel string acoustics.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave ➑️
I am presently trying out a Buzz Audio MA.2.2. It sounds wonderful on guitar. It is so open, clear and wide. Amazing. Sounds great with no EQ, minimal compression and a touch of reverb. It is the only reverb I have ever tried that captures the sound I hear when I play guitar.

Yes it kind of lets it through naturally without hyping the highs.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Funny the other pre which is a little newer in my collection is the LaChapell . I heard some files with it on acoustic and fell in love with the sound. It is a pretty luxurious sound.
So my take is the Forssell SMP2 for pure, the Buzz MA2.2TX for smooth but still open and the LaChapell for that velvet touch.
All from KM84s, U87 and Schoeps CM4s. oh yeah sometimes ribbon too...
see there are so many ways.

Just sayin!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nothing touches the Forssell SMP-2.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Km56/v72
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➑️
This is a bit off topic. I recommend anyone recording acoustic guitar to avoid Elixir and any of the other coated strings. e.g. XP, SP etc.
I believe the coatings cause the upper harmonics to be increasingly out of tune with the lower and the fundamental, like bells, or drums.
I don't have an A/B test here but I haven't made my statement lightly.
I have had extreme trouble, struggling with mixing the Elixirs in particular.
Other recording engineer friends of mine, have also noticed this.

DD
Sound Sound - Homepage
Interesting. I have been using coated strings and I seem to be getting ok sound but there is always room for improvement . I must say that one thing I have noticed is I really like the sound of many the acoustic guitar tracks on numerious Celtic style recordings as well as things like Mary Black etc. I will give the non coated stings a try. Currently I record usually through a Schoeps CMC6 - MK4 out front About 16 inches at the 14 fret and a Brauner Phantom V. Up at head height and out about 2 ft. These are going into an A Designs MP2A
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My favorite pre for acoustic guitar is now the pendulum mdp-1. I choose it over my neves, Apis, and Chandler tg and germ pres every time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"
Nothing touches the Forssell SMP-2."

O

D

R

O

G

^
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Acoustic Preamp

I agree Forsell is incredible, I have the SMP500 - captures the transients likeno other - thats what I use for plucking or fingerpicking.

I also like the P1 and API 312 for strumming or some lead. I like these better than the neve preamps.
Old 2nd March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Aloha - Player's Choices Today Are Many

Aloha,

Regular pro gigger here for over 50 years, acoustic instruments & vocals.

I've tried many mic/pre combo's for acoustic guitar over that time in the studio. In fact, renting & trying out great mic's at home is a major hobby of mine - hundreds per year.

There are many, many great choices.

My favorite combo for the past coupla years, for fingerstyle, is a matched stereo pair of Schoeps CMC6 SDC's with the mk41 hyper caps played through a Pendulum MDP-1a tube preamp. Now that's acoustic guitar! The most detailed I have ever heard & the also the smoothest - hard combo to beat!

Other favorite pre's for acoustic guitar are the A-Designs Pacifica, Great River MP-2NV, John Hardy M-2 & original 70's Neve 1073's. There are so many that will work well for acoustic guitar.

For strumming, after trying out just about all the mic's out there, I went with a Mojave MA-200 (killer), & occasionally add an early 70's U87 or AEA R-84 ribbon to my Schoeps pair for fingerstyle. I also use a Schoeps MK8 figure 8 cap in combo w/ a 641 for Mid-Side recording on acoustic guitar.

The Gefell M-295 SDC is also fantastic for acoustic guitar combined w/ just about any preamp. That's my second most favorite SDC, though I don't currently own a pair.

Go try out a few combo's. Or rent & try out on your home rig. Your ears will tell you what works for you & your guitars.

But as I like to remind guitar players, who usually save it for the very last, invest in plenty of DIY room treatment. It's the only way to maximize ANY mic/preamp combo you choose. The only way!

Good Luck!

alohachris
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Months ago i used MXL V69 Mogami (Telefunken Tube) in saffire pro 40 and Rode NTK (Siemens Tube) in LA-610.. great sound but a little dark.

Actually i put the u87ai in LA-610 and SM57 in Scully 280
Old 2nd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

I guess most read to fast to spot slightly hidden messages.

Anyway, Chris, I know you've mentioned it somewhere, but could you please tell us more about your favorite positioning of those hypers (plus one or two alternative positions maybe)?

Henk
Old 3rd March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
U47 > v72
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Aloha Henk!

Aloha Henk,

I have a well-treated, fairly large home studio space for recording acoustic guitar 10'x30'x40'. So I can use or experiment with different mic placements & get away with it.

Two primary ways I place my pair of 641's are:

1) X-Y - placed 12-24" off the 18th fret, X-Y always works for balance on acoustic guitars & clarity, &

2) Spaced Pair - One placed 8-16" off the 18th fret, & slightly below the guitar, aimed up & in towards the soundhole. And the other placed 8-16" below & off the bridge facing in. It's more difficult to achieve L/R balance with spaced pairs, but the soundstage is wider. I like that for bigger sound.

Other Placements

3) In a great room, I like to use kind of an ORTFF placement a few feet out, to capture more room & direct sound.

4) Sometimes, I use the 641's in X-Y, 12-16" directly out from the soundhole, & combine a pair of U87's in a spaced pair a few feet farther out for more room. Gotta watch for phasing issues but that can produce a great four acoustic channel sound. Larger sound.

5) For Mid-Side recording (more direct sound, IMO) I also use a coupla CMC's (one with the mk41 cap, & one with the CK-8 ribbon cap) in a single shockmount - placed one on top of the other. I point it at a location a few inches above the soundhole & place it 8-12" out. I like that sound too. Keeps potential proximity effect down, especially on larger guitars.

6) Also in Mid-Side, I sometimes use a spaced pair of 641's (@ twelth-fret & @ butt, both facing in towards the soundhole) & then add an AEA R-84 ribbon mic right in the center about 8" from the soundhole. Like that too.

7) For strumming, I place a single or couple of Mojave MA-200 tube LDC's about a foot out in a spaced pair (twelth fret & bridge placements, facing in). They are hung from above & are on a plane with the top of the guitar to avoid proximity effect. About 12-16" out. Huge jangly sound. Love it!

That's how & where I place my mic's often (but not always) for stereo miking acoustic guitar. Again, Room Treatment is what allows for more placement choices in home recording[/B].

alohachris
Lives for gear

Preamp for acoustic guitar?

Had good results with: GT Vipre (slow or very slow), John Hardy, Daking IV, 1073.

Generally speaking I find pre's with an overly fast slew tend to thin out acoustic guitar for obvious reasons. Tube pre's are often winners in this application, if at least for girth. Shockingly I've never used an API preamp on acoustic guitar and found it to my liking*. Or overly "transparent" preamps like the Millenia (although they can be nice for a roomier mic because of the authenticity).

*disclaimer: admittedly not a big fan of API preamps. Except on snare, sometimes toms, sometimes the distant kick.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Aloha, Chris. Thanks for your elaborate reply! Since these are hypercardioids, I was particularly curious if/how/why(not) you adjust the standard angle (for XY; although distance to the source will change the focus points too, of course), L-R distance (for spaced pair) or both (for ORTF). But I dont want to (further) hijack this nice thread, so perhaps we should do that elsewhere.

Back on topic. For those who hadn't figured it out (post #139), I kinda like the Gordon. (Undertstatement of the year.) For added tube effect, if there is such a thing, I have some nice tube microphones. But a Schoeps pair (solid state) is on my wish list, as is a tube pre.

Henk
Old 1st April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris ➑️
Aloha,

Regular pro gigger here for over 50 years, acoustic instruments & vocals.

I've tried many mic/pre combo's for acoustic guitar over that time in the studio. In fact, renting & trying out great mic's at home is a major hobby of mine - hundreds per year.

There are many, many great choices.

My favorite combo for the past coupla years, for fingerstyle, is a matched stereo pair of Schoeps CMC6 SDC's with the mk41 hyper caps played through a Pendulum MDP-1a tube preamp. Now that's acoustic guitar! The most detailed I have ever heard & the also the smoothest - hard combo to beat!

Other favorite pre's for acoustic guitar are the A-Designs Pacifica, Great River MP-2NV, John Hardy M-2 & original 70's Neve 1073's. There are so many that will work well for acoustic guitar.

For strumming, after trying out just about all the mic's out there, I went with a Mojave MA-200 (killer), & occasionally add an early 70's U87 or AEA R-84 ribbon to my Schoeps pair for fingerstyle. I also use a Schoeps MK8 figure 8 cap in combo w/ a 641 for Mid-Side recording on acoustic guitar.

The Gefell M-295 SDC is also fantastic for acoustic guitar combined w/ just about any preamp. That's my second most favorite SDC, though I don't currently own a pair.

Go try out a few combo's. Or rent & try out on your home rig. Your ears will tell you what works for you & your guitars.

But as I like to remind guitar players, who usually save it for the very last, invest in plenty of DIY room treatment. It's the only way to maximize ANY mic/preamp combo you choose. The only way!

Good Luck!

alohachris
Had chance to try Thermionic Earlybird agains MDP-1?
Old 2nd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1073 and Buzz MA2.2 are magical.
Old 8th May 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is this the Jensen Twin Servo that is spoke of on this thread? If so any more comments on it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar-photo1.jpg  
Old 8th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thats what i use
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL ➑️
Km56/v72
πŸ“ Reply