Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Km140>1073>la2a

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As I said 2nd hand ISA430 Focusrite Made in UK. Try it out. Ebay may have it for around 1-1.5K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald ➡️
Right, thought about that too. Neve is kind waay out of my price range. I've got a price cap of about 1K..
As for mics, I have to work with the Rode for now. I'm thinking about maybe getting a ribbon mic for acoustic guitar work, but I haven't done enough research to know if that's a good solution.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➡️
As I said 2nd hand ISA430 Focusrite Made in UK. Try it out. Ebay may have it for around 1-1.5K.
Looking now... Thanks for the suggestion!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At my place it's either a Focusrite Red 6 or an Avalon 737....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My favourite setup is a Shoeps cmc-5 into Qes Labs Preq-1, it's a tube channel strip with a mic pre and a pultec style eq, and it comes handy all of the time.
Other fav mics include KM84 U-87 and C-414.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➡️
Schoeps (any capsule is going to sound great, depends on room, stereo mic technique, etc though) into Buzz Audio MA2.2 TX is ultimate IMO.
Another +1 for the Buzz. I use it with an U87Ai blended with AKG C451 or KM184 depending on what I´m after. I would love to have a Schoeps though!

Most time the track sees a 1073 EQ and a 33609 compressor from the UAD card after recording.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwleeman ➡️
well.. ain't got a lot.. i just have a millennia media 4-channel hv3d, and am planning on getting an aurora audio GTQ2 mkII soon.
For acoustics guitar I would prefer a SD Neumann like KM84 over the afforementioned Schoeps.

As preamp I´ve the Grace m801, the Millennia HV-3D, FM Acoustics M1, had the Buzz MA2.2 and the GML too. Depending on the sound you want and on the player/instrument I´d prefer the Millennia over the Grace. But my real favorits are FM Acoustics M1 and Forssell SMP-2. It renders the sound of a well played guitar best to all of the others with a good and easy perception of pitch too.

If you need less to follow pitch and relief, than the Grace is very present and supports the rhythm - but my be a little lean sometimes.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've been using John Hardy M1's with 2 X AT 4033's in ORTF...

Try it out some time..
Gear Guru
For very high end guitars, transparency is key. Nothing added, nothing taken away. Transformer coupled preamps will give a Cat Stevens sort of sound, nice, but not accurate.

For me, it's no iron, massive slew rates and super wide bandwidth with very low THD. I use transformerless AKG 460B's into the High Speed. If I could afford a Santa Cruz guitar (some of the finest I ever played/heard), this would be the end all for me.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Right, thought about that too. Neve is kind waay out of my price range. I've got a price cap of about 1K..
As for mics, I have to work with the Rode for now. I'm thinking about maybe getting a ribbon mic for acoustic guitar work, but I haven't done enough research to know if that's a good solution.
You could get an Avedis MA5 and R52 for just a little more than that... might be something to consider pushing the budget up a little for.
Lives for gear

Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
This is a bit off topic. I recommend anyone recording acoustic guitar to avoid Elixir and any of the other coated strings. e.g. XP, SP etc.
I believe the coatings cause the upper harmonics to be increasingly out of tune with the lower and the fundamental, like bells, or drums.
I don't have an A/B test here but I haven't made my statement lightly.
I have had extreme trouble, struggling with mixing the Elixirs in particular.
Other recording engineer friends of mine, have also noticed this.

DD
Sound Sound - Homepage
Interesting. I use Elixers all the time and have never had a complaint from mixing engineers. I play on a lot of sessions too. Has me thinking....

--m
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 901 ➡️
..AKG C451 or KM184 depending on what I´m after.
I'm thinking I'll bite down and maybe get a matched pair of the Neumanns
Couldn't hurt to have for stereo recording. I'd be really interested to hear the Neumanns on an acoustic.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefer Neumann KM 84 over Schoeps anytime, the Schoeps are too "surgical" for my taste. Neumans sound way more natural, the Schoeps were a bit on the sterile side.
Micpre is and will be NPNG, which is incredible good here (and there)

Also very good is U67 into a V76, depends on your style.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Couldn't hurt to have for stereo recording. I'd be really interested to hear the Neumanns on an acoustic.
The 184s don't have the same magic of the 84, and certainly not the same as what the 54s have. They can work well in the right situation, but don't let the name or the suggested lineage nudge your decision. They are not "improvements" over the older designs as their marketing can suggest.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi ➡️
I prefer Neumann KM 84 over Schoeps anytime, the Schoeps are too "surgical" for my taste.
They are very accurate, no doubt, but the Schopes can be perfect, especially for classical guitar.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ill probley get murdered here but avalon 737 ,tlm 103 is magic..................mic placement
is KEY!!!!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Acoustic guitar is the only thing I use the 737 for, but it's worth keeping around just for clean (but not "sterile") acoustic sounds.

I've also used a Chandler Germ (opposite end of the spectrum) a few times lately for rounder acoustic sounds. When I first got the Germ I hated it for acoustics (too thick, almost distorted with all the complex harmonic overtones) but I've discovered that the key is to keep the gain very low on the Germ and to make up the gain later with a comp or somesuch.

All that said, the pre is about 5th in order of importance for getting a great acoustic sound. Even the pick is more important than the pre. Orange Tortex almost always works well for what I like to hear.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Abraham ➡️
Acoustic guitar is the only thing I use the 737 for, but it's worth keeping around just for clean (but not "sterile") acoustic sounds.

I've also used a Chandler Germ (opposite end of the spectrum) a few times lately for rounder acoustic sounds. When I first got the Germ I hated it for acoustics (too thick, almost distorted with all the complex harmonic overtones) but I've discovered that the key is to keep the gain very low on the Germ and to make up the gain later with a comp or somesuch.

All that said, the pre is about 5th in order of importance for getting a great acoustic sound. Even the pick is more important than the pre. Orange Tortex almost always works well for what I like to hear.
Orange Tortex is all i use so cheers to that..i go through so many takes because of my sloppy picking..ha.......... 737 is also very usefull 4 a DI for my ric or for any decent bass its very warm.....adds alot to my digital recording....but still better for acoustic in my opinion....ill be shure to check out the Germ,does it have any more usefull features?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I previously wrote:

"By the end of this thread (like in every other "what's best" thread), every known mic and pre will be mentioned, so that obviously means there is no "right" or "best" one. Just turn the knobs til it sounds good and move on."

So here, original poster, are the pieces you should use culled from this thread:

PRES:

Great River MP2NV
NPNG DMP 2NW
X2 Purple Biz MK
Dav BG
Chandler LTD-1
GML
neve 1073 (or 84)
Chandler TG2
Pacifica
Prism Orpheus
John Hardy
API
Avalon 737
Buzz Audio MA2.2 TX
Aurora Audio GTQ2 mkII
Focusrite ISA430 Producer Pack
CraneSong Flamingo
Grace Design M201
Focusrite Red 6
Qes Labs Preq-1
Millennia HV-3D
FM Acoustics M1
Forssell SMP-2
Audio Upgrades High Speed
V76
Chandler Germ

MICS:

MFG KM69 Pair
Royer SF12
Josephson C42 MP
AT 4050
Oktava 012
JM-130
AKG 414 B-ULS
Beyer M201
MD-441
KM84
neumann u87
telefunken u47
avalon 737
Beyer Dynamic MC930
KM140
Neumann KM54
C460b
AT4051
Schoeps
Km140
AKG C451
KM184
AT 4033
U67
tlm 103
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict ➡️
I previously wrote:

"By the end of this thread (like in every other "what's best" thread), every known mic and pre will be mentioned, so that obviously means there is no "right" or "best" one. Just turn the knobs til it sounds good and move on."

So here, original poster, are the pieces you should use culled from this thread:

PRES:

Great River MP2NV
NPNG DMP 2NW
X2 Purple Biz MK
Dav BG
Chandler LTD-1
GML
neve 1073 (or 84)
Chandler TG2
Pacifica
Prism Orpheus
John Hardy
API
Avalon 737
Buzz Audio MA2.2 TX
Aurora Audio GTQ2 mkII
Focusrite ISA430 Producer Pack
CraneSong Flamingo
Grace Design M201
Focusrite Red 6
Qes Labs Preq-1
Millennia HV-3D
FM Acoustics M1
Forssell SMP-2
Audio Upgrades High Speed
V76
Chandler Germ

MICS:

MFG KM69 Pair
Royer SF12
Josephson C42 MP
AT 4050
Oktava 012
JM-130
AKG 414 B-ULS
Beyer M201
MD-441
KM84
neumann u87
telefunken u47
avalon 737
Beyer Dynamic MC930
KM140
Neumann KM54
C460b
AT4051
Schoeps
Km140
AKG C451
KM184
AT 4033
U67
tlm 103
MIC PLACEMENT!!!!! TRUST YOUR EARS THEY ARE BUILT IN TO YOUR HEAD thanks for the summary,,,,,cheers
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
For $1000 at full retail, a Shure KSM32, Groove Tubes Brick and an NOS Mulllard on the input will get you a very competent, if profoundly un-sexy, chain for acoustic. Placement's already been mentioned, and the Shure takes EQ pretty well to boot. Again, it may not get style points, but it's not bad at all front to back at that price point.

Michael

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz ➡️
For $1000 at full retail, a Shure KSM32, Groove Tubes Brick and an NOS Mulllard on the input will get you a very competent, if profoundly un-sexy, chain for acoustic. Placement's already been mentioned, and the Shure takes EQ pretty well to boot. Again, it may not get style points, but it's not bad at all front to back at that price point.

Michael
Yes, the Shure KSM32 is an underated mic, it's been a while since I used one but I do remember it sounding very good on vocals, acoustic gat, wash board and kazoo! (No kidding, that is what I was recording that day - via the MA2.2 of course).

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got a matched pair of the Beyerdynamic MC930s, which somebody else commented on. I got them for some drum OHs on a gig coming up as they were rated as close to KM84s. But they sounded fantastic with the Pacifica on ac gtr. A Neve 1073 DPD is coming on Saturday, so I'll let you know what that is like.

I actually like the sound of the U87ai with ac gtr, but it can come with a bit of tubbiness if you're not careful. Depends on the piece, the player, the strings, fingerstyle vs plectrum, the guitar, the atmospheric pressure, your daily horoscope, and quite often the menstrual cycle of your significant other...

Threads like this area actually pretty silly, but at least you get a survey of what other folk use.

Quote:
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Pre (not on the above list yet): Phoenix Audio DRS2 :amazing preamp!
Mic (mentioned alot already and for good reason): KM84

Combine the two and your acoustic guitar will sound absolutely killer (depending on the guitar and room of course).

Cheers,
Martijn.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for clean avalon 737 for a bt of color neve for warmth UA 2-610 (old ediion)
The UA is one of my favorite on accoustic I love the color and grain it gives the guitar.
so any of these pres wit a C-800G and/or AKG C 414...you'r golden!
I Love the pacifica the best on Electric guitars, I have to try it on accoustic
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyer MC930 single or stereo pair through John Hardy M-1 preamp sounds excellent. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A pair of C414B-XLIIs, an AD2022 and a 2-1176 does very nicely. thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think whether you flatpick, fingerpick, play more in sharp keys, and with or without shoes is immaterial in the world of real life. Just get a Pendulum MDP-1 and put whatever mic you like in front of it. I've used AKG C40's, Josephson 42's and B&K's. This pre is unspeakably musical on ACGTR.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
This is a bit off topic. I recommend anyone recording acoustic guitar to avoid Elixir and any of the other coated strings. e.g. XP, SP etc.
I believe the coatings cause the upper harmonics to be increasingly out of tune with the lower and the fundamental, like bells, or drums.
I don't have an A/B test here but I haven't made my statement lightly.
I have had extreme trouble, struggling with mixing the Elixirs in particular.
Other recording engineer friends of mine, have also noticed this.

DD
Sound Sound - Homepage

complete agreement here!! in fact, i'd always advise not using brand new strings if possible unless you are going for an overly bright sound. i am a huge fan of thicker, fuller acoustic sound, and usually find this in strings that have been played for a week or so...though don't let them get too worn!

i have been loving an ak47 and ma-200 into n72 SCA pres with a portico and hammer for taste.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

we sounds with acoustic guitar (and with an other sources) as:

Affinity a2 single end preamp, pure A class -

some audio here:

Studiopro mic preamp review

Hand Crafted Lab Tube micamp and compressor, Blind test against 1176,v72,ADL and more

Mirror
all balanced preamp (push-pull) pure A class -

some audio here:

balanced preamp
📝 Reply