Quantcast
What types of plugins do you use on vocals? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What types of plugins do you use on vocals?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What types of plugins do you use on vocals?

I have the Waves Mercury bundle, the API bundle, SSL bundle, and a few others. What do you guys like to use if you don't have all the great outboard gear and chose to go the plugin route?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind ➑️
I have the Waves Mercury bundle, the API bundle, SSL bundle, and a few others. What do you guys like to use if you don't have all the great outboard gear and chose to go the plugin route?
I like the massenburg EQ .massey de esser. Rvox comp on clean vocals.
The CL1 B clone is a good vocal comp even the ssl bundle Buss comp is good at rock style vocals.

Just play around and like all say if it sounds good bla bla
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Generally, I use a Massey CT4 or the Digi Comp to level off the vocal a bid.

Then I EQ it a bit, if necessary.

Then I use some sort of short delay, usually Massey TD5. I've been liking that a lot lately.

Then I bus it out to a Reverb just a little bit. IK Classik Verbs are nice, especially the Plate.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
UAD-2

(note, this may get moved to the music computers forum.)
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Honestly, there's not a lot ground the plugs you mentioned don't cover. I've mixed with just waves Platinum and native PT plugs and been pretty happy. Maybe add Alitverb or another good reverb such as Breverb or IK CSR. Maybe consider some outboard gear. If I had Mercury/API/SSL I wouldn't really be looking for more plugs.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i usually use 2 differentt delays on sends
a plate verb and/or a room verb
somtimes a doubler 2/4 on hook vox

api 550 eq along with apEQ sometimes.
rvox or rcomp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sometimes Massey comp, massey d-esser (if necassary)...

Sometimes TG1 comp plug..

The Stillwell plugs, which I've been auditioning lately, might begin making it in there too... depends on the song and sound of the vocal of course.

For EQ, The Abbey Road mastering thing... or.. sometimes stillwell pultec or 1073..
sometimes the mcdsp eq..

For saturation..
sometimes Mcdsp AC2.. sometimes massey tape head.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Usually I use some of these (not necessarily all at the same time):

Waves Renaissance EQ and/or Stillwell Vibe EQ, Waves Renaissance Compressor. Waves De-esser.

I do a lot of volume automation, so I don't ride the compressor very hard typically.

On an auxiliary track, I might use a Massey Delay or a reverb (S/PDIF) from a hardware reverb.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
LA-2A (UAD)
A De-esser
An EQ
A little gate
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Usually UAD because its what i got. I try to compress with my channel strip going in but...

UAD LA2A
Sometimes CS-1
Realverb pro at times

Still like some outboard effects there though
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking at your list of plugs, you may want to take advantage of the free demo for the URS Tape Saturation Plug-In. In addition to our outboard gear, we have the UAD-2 Neveana 64 DSP and plug's. We are finding lots of uses for the URS Tape Sat plug. I'm sure it'll work great with your SSL's and API's as well. We've using it a lot since buying it 3 weeks ago. The better your monitors, the more you can appreciate the subtle changes of the plug.

Hope this helps,

Tim Cochran
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UAD LA-2a, LA-3a, 1176LN, Precision DeEsser, Hydratone EQs, Kjaerhus Classic Delay, Retro-Sampling Vintage Tape Echo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the URS 550b plug, the 20kHz boost works great for adding air.
Still, I like the Waves RCL compressor, which I sometimes use on vocals if I am not using hardware.
The Renaissance deesser is also ok, allthough when you need quite a bit of it, it ruins the "t's" for me....

Greetings,
Dirk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves Ren Max and Ren Comp. The massey comp is great for a lot of stuff. For eq's I use the ren stuff and the epure sometimes. Just depends on the song. I tend to use plugs for smoothing since I have enough hardware to do other task and I find the Ren stuff good for that task.

I can imagine that with all the plugs you have you need to search for more. The waves ssl and api stuff is really quite nice. You might pick up the some massey plugs because they are great and a great price.
Deleted 2848499
+1 Rcomp & Rvox

API EQ's are
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my favorite plug-ins:
-ROGS 2.0 (recording only good singers)
-SKHTUM 3.1 (Singer knows how to use a microphone)
-EKHTCASSM 96 special edition (Engineer knows how to choose and setup a suitable microphone)

the bad news: you can't buy those at vintageking.
The good news: you can't buy those at vintageking.

The names are not very catchy, so they are not in high demand anymore...
Old 8th February 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think what you have is a great start... I agree with Deuce 225, you should definitely check out the URS Saturation plugin.

But, in this era of recording, a must have is Melodyne.. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
super tap delay 6 ( waves )
digidesign De-esser
Rvox ( waves )
Rcomp ( waves )
focusrite D2 ( amazing )
teo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves C4, either as a de-esser or as a compressor...
GS Community Manager

Paul Frindle's DSM can help clean up wavy mic technique, and also work as a very transparent comp if you need such an animal, and finally work as just about the best de-esser there is. Very good problem-solver.

For colour the Waves SSL is probably where I would first reach for native, if I didn't have a Duende (but I do have a Duende)...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Something I just discovered is Valve tone 62 by TriTone

Sometimes you just need that little "something" Valve Tone is my new go to "something"
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
I think what you have is a great start... I agree with Deuce 225, you should definitely check out the URS Saturation plugin.

But, in this era of recording, a must have is Melodyne.. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.
Ooops. I have Melodyne Tony. lol. Forgot to mention that one. I'm going to have to look in to the Massey stuff, and the URS Saturation plugin. Thanks for all the great answers guys!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Stillwell Rocket for compression.
UAD-1 Cambridge EQ (for surgical EQ).
Stillwell 1973 for vibey EQ. (The Vibe EQ has some GUI bugs on my G5, unfortunately - so 1973 it is.)
Melodyne for corrections.
CSR for reverbs.
UAD-1 Plate.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Personally if it were me i would either:

1) Call a friend or in town gear dealer and borrow some gear

or:

2) Have the client pay for a rental of a few choice pieces

or:

3) Have the client book time in a studio equipped with the right toys for mixing.

To me vocals are the most crucial & important aspect of any productions and all mixes are either praised or rejected because of them. Drums you can get around by sample enhancement or sample replacement and other techniques that employ plugs.

But your rep as an engineer in this business is either made or broken on how the vocals sound, especially to the talent(singers & producers).

Its the one place i won't take chances with plugs at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
Personally if it were me i would either:

1) Call a friend or in town gear dealer and borrow some gear

or:

2) Have the client pay for a rental of a few choice pieces

or:

3) Have the client book time in a studio equipped with the right toys for mixing.

To me vocals are the most crucial & important aspect of any productions and all mixes are either praised or rejected because of them. Drums you can get around by sample enhancement or sample replacement and other techniques that employ plugs.

But your rep as an engineer in this business is either made or broken on how the vocals sound, especially to the talent(singers & producers).

Its the one place i won't take chances with plugs at all.
I hear you Thrill, I love and own hardware too. That's not what this thread is about. I also get great results with plugins. Realize also that some people here only have plugins. Did I mention that I love hardware?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
if plugs needed,these are nice:
Massey de-ess
URS Sat
Phoenix
Frindle DSM
Oxford or GM filters

but otherwise most eq,comp etc: hardware all the way
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound ➑️
I hear you Thrill, I love and own hardware too. That's not what this thread is about. I also get great results with plugins. Realize also that some people here only have plugins. Did I mention that I love hardware?
And i understand what i posted may put some people off. But i guess the point i am trying to make is that there are always other options if you really are "gear short ". You don't have to settle based on your circumstances.

I've been engineering full time since the mid 80's and i will assure that i have freelanced at a lot of studios that were worse off than alot of the home/project studios that people have now. But even then i fought tooth and nail to squeeze out every little bit of good sound i could. That's probably how i built such a vast sound memory in terms of different types of gear. And its also probably why i am still working now because my clients have always noticed and appreciated that.

Lastly this is the High End forumn. Maybe on the other forumns people have there own standards on what they will allow for themselves and tolerate. But i guess over here maybe we are a little harder on ourselves and pushing each other in that pursuit of the last 2%-3%.
Old 9th February 2009
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For the bread you spent on those plug in collections you could have had the money hardware vocal chain...

Or were they the [k] version or something? That Mercury ain't cheap...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I always end up coming back to the UAD LA2A and Plate 140 with the Plate of Shrimp setting...Sometimes I'll use the IK CSR verb...I agree with Tony - Melodyne has made it where you can't hear the tuning at all. Although, does anybody else get the occasional Whirrrr or Click when using Melodyne? Sometimes It will read a passage where it suddenly drops one note up or down an entire octave - which adds a click. Sometimes I get whir noises during breaths too...

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
And i understand what i posted may put some people off. But i guess the point i am trying to make is that there are always other options if you really are "gear short ". You don't have to settle based on your circumstances.

I've been engineering full time since the mid 80's and i will assure that i have freelanced at a lot of studios that were worse off than alot of the home/project studios that people have now. But even then i fought tooth and nail to squeeze out every little bit of good sound i could. That's probably how i built such a vast sound memory in terms of different types of gear. And its also probably why i am still working now because my clients have always noticed and appreciated that.

Lastly this is the High End forumn. Maybe on the other forumns people have there own standards on what they will allow for themselves and tolerate. But i guess over here maybe we are a little harder on ourselves and pushing each other in that pursuit of the last 2%-3%.
I agree.... especially, if you are talking about replacing an analog piece of gear... But, there are some plugins that are necessities in this day and age for vocal work. Things like Auto-Tune or Melodyne are absolute must haves, and are not being used as substitutes for analog hardware.
πŸ“ Reply