Quantcast
What types of plugins do you use on vocals? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What types of plugins do you use on vocals?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➡️
I agree.... especially, if you are talking about replacing an analog piece of gear... But, there are some plugins that are necessities in this day and age for vocal work. Things like Auto-Tune or Melodyne are absolute must haves, and are not being used as substitutes for analog hardware.
Well believe it or not there are still some of us "old" guys still using Eventide's for tuning vocals(i do sometimes because it still sounds better than the above).

But if its for an effect ala Cher & T-Pain its a different story.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jho ➡️
For the bread you spent on those plug in collections you could have had the money hardware vocal chain...

Or were they the [k] version or something? That Mercury ain't cheap...
+1!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
And i understand what i posted may put some people off. But i guess the point i am trying to make is that there are always other options if you really are "gear short ". You don't have to settle based on your circumstances.

I've been engineering full time since the mid 80's and i will assure that i have freelanced at a lot of studios that were worse off than alot of the home/project studios that people have now. But even then i fought tooth and nail to squeeze out every little bit of good sound i could. That's probably how i built such a vast sound memory in terms of different types of gear. And its also probably why i am still working now because my clients have always noticed and appreciated that.

Lastly this is the High End forumn. Maybe on the other forumns people have there own standards on what they will allow for themselves and tolerate. But i guess over here maybe we are a little harder on ourselves and pushing each other in that pursuit of the last 2%-3%.
Again I don't really disagree, but I think you are unfairly discounting plugins. Some plugins are not "low end". Not many people could lend you a real EMT 140, and how the hell(and why) would you move it back and forth! It is a great plugin, necessary in many mixes, close to the hardware, and something few people would ever have access to in hardware. That is just one example. I believe that a combination of both hardware and plugins are the way to go, and will be the future of what we do. But I have only been engineering full time since 1980, so what would I know! LOL!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound ➡️
I believe that a combination of both hardware and plugins are the way to go, and will be the future of what we do.
It's already what most people do...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got the Chandler TG Limiter plug in. Eeeeash.......man it sounds great as a final stage on rock vocals! Really pulls them forward and has a nice color and squishy vibe.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Does anyone else here use the Digi Comp III as a De-Esser??

That's my go-to for de-essing. I find by using the side chain filters I can zero in on ANY "esssess".
Not to mention the compressor functionality is much more flexible than any De-esser I've ever used when it's used in that capacity.
And, it's purty clean too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At the moment: Flux Epure for cutting and Abbey Road Brilliance Pack for boosting. Epure acts unlike any other EQ I've ever heard. Brilliance Pack simply 'works' almost all the time.

I generally don't do much of dynamic processing, but AC1 is sometimes in the chain. DE555 if I must use those awful de-essers.

VirSyn Reflect for decent reverb. It's the only plug-in reverb I like (if it's not a ****ty sounding one), but I don't even use that very much. I generally prefer delays (Tube Delay and whatever stereo slap that shows up first in the plug-in list).

For wicked fx Futzbox or Ohmicide.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➡️
It's already what most people do...
I'm talking about everybody!!!!
📝 Reply