Quantcast
My High End - Small Scale DAW. Please Help. I NEED YOUR HONEST ADVICE! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My High End - Small Scale DAW. Please Help. I NEED YOUR HONEST ADVICE!
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
My High End - Small Scale DAW. Please Help. I NEED YOUR HONEST ADVICE!

SM7?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi John Bob,

Could you provide maximum budgets for each of those categories?

Thx,
-Jeff
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2-610, 003R, SM7 & Genelecs are a Great start! thumbsup

Depending on the genre of music you produce, you'll probably want to add compression;
API 2500, 1176 & Distressor are a few nice choices. You may want to consider a 500 lunchbox to consolidate a variety of devices if you mix OTB.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
For mics: get the SM7, but get a AT4060 tube mic instead of the 4050 (too transparent; you'll hate it after awhile!) or Blueberry (nice, but very colored; nice for filling out a mic cabinet, but not very versatile). AT4060 just works well, has a good sound, and is more versatile than 4050, even though 4050 has multiple polar patterns.

Digi003 is a decent choice, but for a front end to that, I would highly consider the API A2D. The API kills three birds with one stone--great sounding preamps, good A/D converters and a great clock! Factory Plugs are probably worth the extra dosh; plug delays are OK. I'd rather have some good outboard comps and verbs, over plugs. Check out a used Lexicon MPX-1, even though digitally it doesn't do the higher sample rates/bit depths. If you are planning to record more than 2 sources at once, consider the Black Lion Audio mods to the Digi003. If you only record one or two sources at once, the API A2D will sufice. Later, get another preamp unit, like the Great River MP2NV!

Genelecs, to me, are very harsh sounding, and I can't stand mixing on them for long periods of time. I would get some kind of ADAM's and a sub for marithon monitoring. Also, I like some of the Tannoy monitors--less harsh than the Genelecs. Try before you buy! I use the older Mackie HR824's in my personal studio--they work for me! Don't forget to reference your work on other systems (car/truck, friends' studios, etc).

I would plan on upgrading the D/A converters, in the very near future - Lavry Black DA-10 or Mytek D/A are some good choices.

Lastly, get a patchbay, and budget for cables, mic stands, maybe some room treatment, and a good chair!
📝 Reply