Quantcast
AKG C460B useful in stereo pair? Favorite SDC pair? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG C460B useful in stereo pair? Favorite SDC pair?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
AKG C460B useful in stereo pair? Favorite SDC pair?

Hi,

I have an AKG 460B with cardioid capsule that I use mainly on hihat, sometimes snare bottom, sometimes guitar. My mic collection is OK but smallish: I have a pair of KSM32's, couple of 57's, good kick & tom mics and two LDC's (Charter Oak 512b and Peluso 2247LE). I get good results with these mics but what I don't have is a stereo pair of SDC's; I think this would be a useful addition. I need some ribbon mics too but that's a different story...

Would it be worthwhile to look for an additional, second hand 460B so I'd have a pair - or would I be better off shopping for a (matched) pair of new SDC's? I have good experiences with KSM137/141 mics; I'll be demoing some Josephson mics soon but I know there are plenty of other SDC alternatives available on the market, some of them very reasonably priced.

To those who own multiple 460's: do you like them as a stereo pair, what do you use them for?

If you'd pick one pair of versatile SDC's, what would you choose?

thanks for any suggestions,

Ivo W.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Guru
I have 5 of them. I use them on anything I don't want to color or change the sound of. I use them for overheads, acoustic and electric guitar, percussion, snare top and snare bottom, hat, piano, banjo, etc.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Excellent mics. Not as bright as 451...a bit more bottom. Overheads....acoustic gtr, hat, snare bottom, clean EGT, all percussion. Very useful, often in pairs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
JW C460B Vs. C480B

I can report that Jim Williams' modded C460B is a very open, clear sounding microphone. I've compared it to the Sennheiser MKH 800 in cardioid mode and found myself preferring the sound of the modded C460B. Also, I've just tried the C480B, although it sounds very similar to the C460B, the modded C460B is more open than the C480B.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My go to pair on acoustic guitar for over 10 years. Love 'em.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the replies! Someone already offered me a second C460 via PM and I think I'll go for it. I'll also PM Jim Williams about the upgrade possibilities.

Cheers,

Ivo W.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
I have 5 of them. I use them on anything I don't want to color or change the sound of. I use them for overheads, acoustic and electric guitar, percussion, snare top and snare bottom, hat, piano, banjo, etc.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim do you do "AKG C451 B" mods too?
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler ➑️
Jim do you do "AKG C451 B" mods too?
In case Jim doesn't see this -- yes he does. audioupgrades.com

Jasper
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you also have them with an omni cap? Any opinions?
THANKS,
AB

Quote:

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Gear Guru
The omnidirectional capsules are excellent. They have directionality at the high frequencies like most omni's do. There are classical record companies using 3 of them for Decca Tree recording, they replaced Neumann M-50 originals for the 460B's.
The CK-22 is also excellent, it's a side address omni in the 451 size so the reduction adaptor is needed. That capsule is omni at all frequencies, great for pipe organ.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Quote:
The omnidirectional capsules are excellent. They have directionality at the high frequencies like most omni's do. There are classical record companies using 3 of them for Decca Tree recording, they replaced Neumann M-50 originals for the 460B's.
By any chance would you care to name names? I haven't mided the 460B's the few times I've used them, but I had no idea anyone was using them seriously for classical main systems. This has my curiosity piqued...
Gear Guru
That was posted on I believe rec.audio.pro back around 8 or 10 years ago, you can search as I don't remember the company but they were in either Germany or Austria.

Also, these are not stock mics, they are modified.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Quote:
That was posted on I believe rec.audio.pro back around 8 or 10 years ago, you can search as I don't remember the company but they were in either Germany or Austria.

Also, these are not stock mics, they are modified.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Gotcha! I might just have to give a pair of these (modded, hopefully) another listen.
πŸ“ Reply