m149 vs rode k2 !!!! ( nice test ) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
m149 vs rode k2 !!!! ( nice test )
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho ➑️
I think we can all agree that the m149 isn`t 8 times better than the K2 , like the price difference.

To me this is good news . Not that I`m planning on buying any of these mics but I`m trying to quit being such a damn gearslut and be content with what I have!

Thomas
Then a U47 isn't worth twice as much as a m149 and C12 isn't worth ten times a P12. If you want quality you have to pay for it and the price-quality curve goes up exponentionally, we all know this.

IMO, the m149 made the K2 sound cheap in comparison. Is it the difference worth the extra money ? Don't know, it depends on several factors and I actually think there may be better mics I could invest 5k on. Point is this discussion sounds more like High-end Vs Pro-sumer stuff...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
Why don't you try it if you're so certain bigshot?

I too have a question, was Peeder starting to get into trouble around November 8th, 2008, because that's where hipass started his GS account, talked ProTools like Peeder and posted about the same per-capita posts. Peeders last official post was 26th November 2008 and we know everyone was sick of him way earlier than peeder left.

No, I'm CERTAIN that's peeder because that's the same grammer as he gave to Jim Williams when he was helping people with parts.

The irony being that Peeder wanted ProTools TDM on an LE budget. He wanted it for thousands of posts and hundreds of arguments.
If Rode people want to get the best out of their equipment, that's the same fundamental thing, isn't it?

So PEEDER do you troll with a C12 or radio shack mic?
to Peeder's credit, he's a bit more eloquent than hipass.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmz ➑️
i have m149
Frankly
I am thinking of buying another Mic

You know the different voices from each other

Therefore,
I'm looking for a very good mic price and good

and I want less sensitive than M149
so
I am thinking of buying rode k2
after i heared this test
so what you think ?
I say stick to the M149.

Pupo
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmz ➑️
i have m149
Frankly
I am thinking of buying another Mic

You know the different voices from each other

Therefore,
I'm looking for a very good mic price and good

and I want less sensitive than M149
so
I am thinking of buying rode k2
after i heared this test
so what you think ?
What I’m hearing, there is no comparison. What a wonderful mike. (M149)
& Congrats for so under control microphone handling.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone who thinks that the K2 even comes close to the M149 IMO just can't hear properly. It was such a blatant difference even on my macbook pro - then on the monitors I just had to laugh. I have owned a K2 for 4 years and am of the opinion that it is a great mic for the price, But high-end recording is about the details and comparing the two is just insane in my opinion. Like comparing a Lambo with a vauxhall. Great in their own right, but the V will never give the same sense of effortless satisfaction as the Lambo.

The M149 has a lovely "focus" to its sound - Im getting on in on test next week to hear the blighter in action.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac ➑️
Anyone who thinks that the K2 even comes close to the M149 IMO just can't hear properly. It was such a blatant difference even on my macbook pro - then on the monitors I just had to laugh. I have owned a K2 for 4 years and am of the opinion that it is a great mic for the price, But high-end recording is about the details and comparing the two is just insane in my opinion. Like comparing a Lambo with a vauxhall. Great in their own right, but the V will never give the same sense of effortless satisfaction as the Lambo.

The M149 has a lovely "focus" to its sound - Im getting on in on test next week to hear the blighter in action.
1+
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I personally though thought the M149 sounded a lot better. The K2 wasn't bad, but I thought the m149 had a much smother sound. It was larger than life, and the K2 was thin in comparison. m149 had richer, bigger low end and the upper-mids and highs were much smoother, where the K2 sounded scratchy or harsh, again, in comparison.

I'm monitoring on HS80ms, which aren't high end by and stretch of the imagination, and I could hear the differences clearly.

Based on which I would use for my personal VO work, I'd pick the m149 over the K2, based on those sound samples. I had a K2 for a while which I didn't like a whole lot, FWIW. Although I've heard it sound great on other VO guys.

Great voice by the way!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac ➑️
...Im getting on in on test next week to hear the blighter in action.
I doubt you'll be disappointed, Danny. As per the files on this thread the M149 is a step up from anything I've heard from Rode.

Let us know your thoughts once you've had one in on test.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Neumann even on ATH-M40fs headphones was so much better it's remarkable, and I'm surprised anybody thought they were reasonably close, even for the money.

And by the way, Rode Folks...use a pop filter, don't talk right at the glass, and don't just mumble tongue twisters to prove how "wonderful" your mics are. You're insulting our intelligence.

I've got zero time for Rode, I'd rather play around with some MXL mics.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A 149 can be had in good shape used for under 3K without much trouble making the 5K price a bit un-reasonable.

I'm selling my 149 in flight case for $2700 - mint condition.

...and i know others have sold for similar prices...
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi ➑️
Then a U47 isn't worth twice as much as a m149 and C12 isn't worth ten times a P12. If you want quality you have to pay for it and the price-quality curve goes up exponentionally, we all know this.
Ciozzi, I can see what you're saying, but you're forgetting that they haven't made the U47 or C12 for several decades. You're also paying for the historical value of those microphones, which needs to be acknowledged.

Now the upper-end C12 and U47 remakes (yeah, I count the C12VR as a remake) are about 4.5 - 7K, and that goes more to your point. You're paying for the attention to detail in constuction and quality of sound compared to similar mics which are more mass produced.

Frankly though, it comes down to the talent. They'll sound good no matter what you toss them in front of, but yeah a better microphone will always be able to capture more.

/with some of today's technology, that doesn't always mean that the most expensive mic is the best, but once we get into some of the boutique offerings, you usually get your money's worth IMO
Old 19th April 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
No way

Well. Its been a while since this thread was posted, but this is for everyone who is still gonna see it. From Experience, the K2 does not even come close to the m149, no fking way. Im not gonna defend the neumann on the basis that its a hole lot fatter, brighter, and everything in between. In not even gonna say that the dude uses different voice pressures, higher on the K2, a VO or a singer will probably know what im talking about. The point is this: lets say that you go to the supermarket in search of a M149 and a K2. If you go through 20 149s before picking one you will discover that they all sound the same, and this is great. With the K2, not in particular, is like playing poker, they all sound a little bit different, and this is not good. It meens that their lacking quality control and so on. Case and point, maybe, this is just my opinion, the K2 used in the test is probably the best that ever came out). Believe me, for this test they picked this mic in the same way that tubes are sorted out in the factory. I find this test to be silly. And not just with the K2, with every cheap overseas made mic that tries to compare itself with the ballsy ones. Its simple, there are a couple of guys who try to sell a cheap sounding mic to a couple of guys who are frustrated about good mic prices and try their best to prove that the earth is flat. It isnt. Not gonna talk about how good the m149 is. Question: how many 149s are sold and how many k2s are sold? I think the answer says it all. Good people in the bussines buy mics in the price and sonic range of the 149, Good people who do it for pleasure, buy mics in the price and sonic range of the 149, those who cannot afford it ........frustrated..........they do this kind of tests. Is better to save money and get a Heavy, clean, both aggressive and gentle BEAST than a ...toy. Although i know im right, everything mentioned above is just my personal opinion from my personal experience. Ps: using mics in the K2 price range, overbranded, may cause istant leaning towards your compressor and eq, just to get things a little bit clear for youre ear.
Old 19th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the test

Neumann is winner , thats clear.....
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Very limited "test".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man ➑️
Thanks for the test

Neumann is winner , thats clear.....
Agreed. The Neumann sounds leaps and bounds better than the K2 to me, and that was evident in just the first few seconds of listening to each file. I had a K2 for a while and wasn't pleased with it at all for VO. Although I've heard it sound really good on some people which is why I bought it in the first place. Just didn't work for my voice I guess.

I love how the guy talking say's "you can sound like this". No you won't. HE will probably sound good even on a ****ty mic because his voice is quite superb, IMO. And while I liked the Neumann better, that's not to say he didn't also sound good on the K2. It's just that the Neumann sounded really good vs. just good.

EDIT: I just actually read the whole thread (after posting this) and realized I already commented on this thread quite some time ago, and said almost the same thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo ➑️
EDIT: I just actually read the whole thread (after posting this) and realized I already commented on this thread quite some time ago, and said almost the same thing.
Heh - at least you're consistent, Josh!
Gear Addict

Hmmmm

Well, it's certainly not night and day (relatively speaking), but there are audible differences. In terms of value...well, there's a lesson in this, especially for small outfits with limited budgets.

Truly though, I think a more realistic test / fair comparison would be to place the two close to one another and record a live performance - synchronously (after all, the spectral content and temporal aspects of the V/O cat are limited compared to some types of music).

By 'a more realistic test' I mean having them in almost the same physical location (but not shadowing one another etc) in a fairly large hall / room with a band / orchestra playing so that it's just a matter of different mics recording the same performance (so that perceived differences could not be attributed to differences in the band's performances if they had to be done serially).

Yes, I realize that the room will play a difference (but you could repeat the experiment in different rooms). Yes I realize that the source material will play a difference, yes, a reference sound source / playback of a performance through a speaker could also be used for such a test.

Still, despite all of this, unless the test was adminsitered in a double-blind comparison with some stistical 'meat' behind the votes then it's not really a true test per se - it's more of a quick look (or listen in this case).

The bottom line is this - I have seen (and heard) people turn out killer work with so-so gear, because they were well-trained, well-practiced, or both. It's true than a very talented person will likely yield the greatest results even if operating within a limited sphere of gear and time. Conversely, put a drawer-full of U87's et al into the hands of one who doesn't know an XLR from a USB cable and you'll get something vastly inferior.
Old 20th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I gotta say Im impressed by the m149, it does sound at least slightly better IMHO... and my only mic is a k2. (Damn you guys putting thoughts of new mics in my head before my room is done being treated)

8 times better, no...but noone actually thinks its suppose to sound 8x better Right?

I was taught by my parents to always look at any product spectrum inthis way, and the model holds true about 95% of the time.

any product is gunna have a low end, mid range, and high end...

You want to stay away from low end because they are junk, and the price will reflect this, you'll notice the average price of equipment at least double the "Low End" equipment.

Than theres mid range and high end.... The average person, not an "expert" in whatever the products use is, would try a good mid range product and a high end product and see little if any difference whatsoever....

Yet the high end item costs double if not more why?

Because some people are professionals who's living requires the use of the product to be BETTER than competitors..... if they have to spend triple for something and its only very slightly better, its still perfectly logical....It might take a year or so study in whatever field to even truly realize the difference between a good mid range and a high end product, but it is there.

This shoot-out (if it even counts) kind of reminds me of that model from childhood.

Idk the K2 fits pretty well with my voice, I don't need that last little bit of umpphh quite yet, well I do but I need many other fundamental products also. Ha.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes, I liked the m 149. Yes, somebody mentioned that you can pick one up on the bay for under 3k. I asked the Mrs. if I could pick one up. She said "not now" you have already got a Pearlman tm-1 and a Sm7b. Maybe she's right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny C ➑️
Yes, I liked the m 149. Yes, somebody mentioned that you can pick one up on the bay for under 3k. I asked the Mrs. if I could pick one up. She said "not now" you have already got a Pearlman tm-1 and a Sm7b. Maybe she's right.
Unlikely. Sorry...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you worked with the proximity effect each much, use a nice eq like an Ibis or Portico on both, I am sure you obtain great buy different results with both.
Old 21st April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote DSM Interactive

Unlikely. Sorry...

Would I rather have the tm-1 and the SM7B instead of the m149? That is a strong affirmative. As long as she lets me get a high quality eq, then I can remain a happy camper.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am an owner of a K-2.

For my first LDC, I have been very happy. Maybe even smugly.

After this test, all illusions that lead to smugness are gone.

Is it MUCH easier to get a great vocal tracked and mixed with a K-2 as compared to the legions of very nice dynamics out there? Yes!

Do I now understand now how the high end mics get the big bucks?

No question! If things in this test are all equals, the 149 delivers deeper and smoother sound at all frequencies. The K-2 is impressive as it seems to be very balanced (like the 149) but has no where near the "depth"

Call me a slut if you must, but the K-2 will have an expensive friend in the mic locker in the near future
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive ➑️
Unlikely. Sorry...
There are a pair on eBay now. One with a buy-it-now price of $2.9k, and another of $3.1k.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think there's a huge difference. both sound totally different, The K2 sound ok, the mids are a lil wreid to, the neumann have a LOT more low end and more top end/details also...It just sound a lot better, lol, not even close.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree, not even close. The Neumann has a sound that's almost mixed.
Better in warmth, and easier on the ears. Yes, it does sound expensve.
The K2 screams for EQ, to make it voice-over worthy. It is usable, but,
having tried EVERY Rode LDC mic, I can say it has the same issues with
the highs. That capsule /circuitry always falls short, with harsher highs.

The voice over talent is working the Neumann perfectly, in that picture.
However, anyone notice how much lower the K2 is. I don't doubt that's
something he could resolve, and he probably knows where that capsule
is. But if he has to aim down at it he won't be on axis, which is optimal.
Without that, it can reduce proximity effect, and worsen that high end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So I'm a little confused. Exactly what is the relationship between the M149 and a classic Neumann M49?

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this entire test is non-sense....

is this a debate on which mic is "better"

the guy talking seems a bit enthusiastic and biased about rode products
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had one M149 and my wife knew I really liked it so she recently picked up a matched pair of 75 Anniversary M149s at a great price (eBay) for my birthday. I have been having a great time doing stereo recordings of everything I can think of. Using the three to record drums in a Glyn Johns setup yields very nice results.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman ➑️
So I'm a little confused. Exactly what is the relationship between the M149 and a classic Neumann M49?

-R
same capsule, but without the transformer.

same for the m147/m150, same capsules, but without the transformer.

kinda bummer that they just didn't keep the designs the same..... they had to modernize them......

but still, the 149/150 are still worthy mics.
πŸ“ Reply