What is your "go to" Reverb processor? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is your "go to" Reverb processor?
Old 17th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
This one has me piqued. What's your rt60 config?

Gregory Scott - ubk
Me 2

Plus, they except carbon offsets as a form of payment.
Attached Files

evolver-p60-SM.mp3 (890.2 KB, 348 views)

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ursa Major

Today my rig underwent a huge revision.
I finally got rid of a Korg SDD 1200, Ultragate, Edison and Summit-DCL 200 which I didn't use for years to make way for the Ursa Major Stargate 323 and the 8x32 I just recently grabbed off ebay.
Both were in working condition but the power supply caps look a little like ping pong balls already so I recapped both with brandnew capacitors.
The 323 works as expected but the 8x32 lacked 3 of the 7 voltages...doh.
So I put the old caps back in and - works like a charm

First testing gives the following results:
The 323 sounds a lot like my Space Station, just with a much better frequency response that goes up to 16k. In all of the 8 programs the random multitaps are quite audible, mixed with kind of metallic ringing when fed with percussive signals, almost a little like comb filtered chorusing with a tremolo. Also the reverb tail sounds quite colored and with a certain same character in all settings. All in all not too far from the Space Station but less flexible and with less loveable character.

The 8x32 is a whole different story though.
From the first second one realizes that this is a top notch piece of gear.
I was able to recreate my favorite 480L sounds by, say 98%.
Only difference is frequency response stops at 8k - so it lacks the last bit of air.
Roll off the highs on a 480 (which I do almost always anyway) and the build-up, density, coloration, spaciousness and intelligibility of the 8x32 reverb tail is almost identical.
I made some quick and dirty A/B's and when I cut off the 480 at 8k it is still possible to hear *little* differences but impossible to decide which one is "better", but in the mix it doesn't make any difference - and I tried the hard bit, the unbeatable 480 snare plate (Program Plate 1 on the 8x32).
The other thing I A/B'd was an EMT 140 with medium length (around 3 seconds) - same thing: There may be a little more density in the original when solo'd but totally no chance to tell in the mix (Program Plate 2).

I'm really really impressed by the 8x32 - it's an awesome dream machine - wow.

The 323 can go back to ebay though - it does nothing better than any other machine - ok, after carefully recording IR's of every setting.

So to refer to the thread starter - my favorites may change soon...

URSA MAJOR RULES !
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering ➑️
Outboard - Lexicon 300L - and any plug-in that doesn't sound like a metal freight container.

TW
Absolutely my sentiment. Try Nebulas verbs
Old 17th July 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
LExicon 480
Old 21st July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody out there who got both the PCM96 and the Bricasti M7 and is there a reason to have both? And if so, do you think one of them is better for a particular style, task, or instrument?
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein ➑️
Anybody out there who got both the PCM96 and the Bricasti M7 and is there a reason to have both? And if so, do you think one of them is better for a particular style, task, or instrument?
I have both and they both sound really different to me. It's been covered a 100 times I'm sure elsewhere, but to me the M7 is super-real sounding, I mean it really sounds like real rooms to me (I love the rooms and the drum/percussion plates too), whereas the PCM96 is more like a great reverb effect for keys and vocals. Well, the 480L is on the vocals most of the time
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does anybody know when we might get Bricasti Version 2.0?
Old 22nd July 2009 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Here's a (relatively) unsung hero for you, I just picked one up and it's now the only piece of digital equipment in my room: the Sony R7.

It's smooth, if a tad bright, great converters, distorts nicely when you overload the input, killer plate algo, and a bunch of off-the-wall presets that step well outside the standard 4-walls-ringing boundaries and give lots of creative options.

Sits nicely in the mix, too.

Major props for it's cousin the D7, picked one up as well and it's a very warm sounding delay. I guess I actually have 2 pieces of digital in my room. Gotta keep an eye on that...

Gregory Scott - ubk
Deleted 99dc753
It has taken me some time to recognize that the most Plug In reverbs does not blend right with the signal. I was a long time always blinded by the effect it takes.

But the new free Briscati M7 IRs by Acousticas blend for my ear just better or near as good as some HW unit with the music. I use them very often and extensive.

It would be nice to own a Briscati but for a musician like me NO WAY to expensive.

Anyway these Impulses are just enough for me I just can imagine how good the real deal blends with the signal.... jummy....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Except XLR's and that Bricasti sound quality.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
There is nothing wrong with Altiverb's sound quality.

Check out the comparison they do here....How close does Altiverb come to the real thing?

Very impressive to these ears.

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use the vss3 and love it
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sony SY-777
Old 23rd July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
There is nothing wrong with Altiverb's sound quality.

Check out the comparison they do here....How close does Altiverb come to the real thing?

Very impressive to these ears.

TH
Not sure .. I have TL Space (similar technology I presume), and the difference between IR's and my real units is noticeable. Pretty subtle I admit, but doesn't make me want to sell any hardware. Quite the reverse actually.

I feel like IR's are a photograh of the real thing, rather than the real thing.

B
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 ➑️
Not sure .. I have TL Space (similar technology I presume), and the difference between IR's and my real units is noticeable. Pretty subtle I admit, but doesn't make me want to sell any hardware. Quite the reverse actually.

I feel like IR's are a photograh of the real thing, rather than the real thing.

B
Unless you are truly standing in a LARGE HALL, none of them are the "real thing" ...

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bricasti M7.
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Unless you are truly standing in a LARGE HALL, none of them are the "real thing" ...

No need to stand in the large hall, just stick a speaker and a mic in there.

That's the real thing, assuming the 'real thing' here is natural reverberation on a recorded sound.

Vive la chamber!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

TH
Even if you are standing in a LARGE HALL, it is highly unlikely to the the REAL THING. Most likely it is just a knock off (physical simulation) of some other hall someone once built, someplace else.

However, by contrast, an M7 is definitely a real M7.
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my primary go - to reverbs are:

Lex 300 - vox, synths, piano
PCM-70 - drum room, electric guitars
Eventide Orville - mainly synths, for vast pitched alien spaces. non lin or whacky stuff for drums/beats.

and the rest:

TC 4000 - acoustic sources, drums room, orchestra, audio post
Dynacord DRP16 - dirty droney lofi stuff, use it for ambient too.
Boss RX-100 - stereo spring

only new board peaking my interest is M7, i'd love to try it. perhaps replace my 4000. dunno

i tried Altiverb in another studio, and its phenomenal for audio post, sml rooms, closets, bathrooms etc. i can get this on 4000, but not so fast... and the clock is always ticking. in this area, convolution is a god send.

otoh didn't sound so good or convincing with IRs from lexicon and other algorithm-based and modulated reverbs. in general my experience is convo reverbs fall short in this area. too dead, one dimensional compared to originals.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Until I can afford a PCM96 my go to reverbs are:
PCM 80
VSS3
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
+1 on the Bricasti M7.

Very intuitive; sounds so good, we call it the BricNasti around our place.

Then, TC Electronic M3000.
πŸ“ Reply