Quantcast
Manley MU - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley MU
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Manley MU

I've been reading a lot about the Manley variable MU recently and I'd love to hear the difference it makes to a recording. I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the digital sound of my set up and need to get something with a little warmth to better my sound. Can someone please upload a track with and without the Manley on it, so I can hear the difference it makes, as there is no where I can hear one locally.

Thank you for your trouble if anyone does it.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamenco1 ➡️
I've been reading a lot about the Manley variable MU recently and I'd love to hear the difference it makes to a recording. I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the digital sound of my set up and need to get something with a little warmth to better my sound. Can someone please upload a track with and without the Manley on it, so I can hear the difference it makes, as there is no where I can hear one locally.

Thank you for your trouble if anyone does it.
Hey guy, welcome to GearSlutz! You have just made a major life decision. Its all downhill from here bud!

Anyways to answer your question. I hate to be doing this but I have to in order to help you. Do you do any tracking excluding vocals? If you are (Drums, bass, GTRs ect) then please tell us what you are using. What mics, preamps, converters and what DAW. Allot of times there are posters that think the DAW is the problem when in fact they dont have a good source to begin with. So Again tell us what you are using and we will try and help you with your decision of whether or not a Manley compressor will do you any good.

One thing I would recommend right off the bat if you are mixing ITB (In the box, or digital) is an API 2500. That unit is probably the fattest, coolest and most versatile Buss Compressor ever made. It will do thing the Vari Mu cant even dream of and it keeps the low end nice and tight like all other API gear with a very saturated, full, fat, creamy yet powerful midrange and very smooth high end.

You must consider the possibility of the Vari Mu not being a perfect match for you. Although it is a great compressor, for what you are trying to do its not exactly a fit. Again if you want color, attitude and thunderous punchyness, the API 2500 is by far the best choice. The Vari Mu has a weird way of mushing up the low end and loosing definition which really bugs me, so you might want to consider that too.

I do have a few samples but not against an API 2500 but against a Drawmer 1968 (another great choice that costs allot less and still sounds great).
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
The Vari Mu has a weird way of mushing up the low end and loosing definition which really bugs me, so you might want to consider that too.
I can't confirm that. But everyone percieves things differently for sure.

What can I say. There is no magic box, manley has subtle effect that is for good of the track or not. Depends, but I have been lucky so far with it.

But if your mixes (and sources) are not great to start with, manley won't fix that.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As is typical in this wide world of opinions, I have to take exception.

I like my Mu a lot and often finds it adds just the right amount to texture to my mixes.

Yes, there are many things out there that will do similar things, or different things you might even like better, but the Manley Mu is one of the good guys.
📝 Reply