Quantcast
SSL 4000E and 4000G Console - real life difference - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL 4000E and 4000G Console - real life difference
View Poll Results: SSL SL4000E or G Console?
SSL E-Series, it's the Classic SSL!
50 Votes - 25.64%
I prefer the 4000G or G+, so much better!
53 Votes - 27.18%
Both E and G are great consoles.
77 Votes - 39.49%
It's all crap, get something different.
15 Votes - 7.69%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SSL 4000E and 4000G Console - real life difference

OK, I am about to buy either one, prices are quite similar if in good condition. Most E's are retrofitted with a G or G+ Computer. Most have a selection of "brown", "black" or G-EQs. I'm looking for people who have worked with both consoles and can share their experience and advice.

Thanks!
Marc
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Both of them are great.... if you like SSL 4000 series.

I've comissioned various here in Spain. If you need help drop me a message.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adria_BCN ➡️
Still a favorite among all series of SSLs, no?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's really either, or. Just do your homework before you buy. Spend some time with the desk. Use your oscillator on groups, buses, take it from the patch, send the signals around using input/output, test VCA's, small fader routing, inserts ... load the patch bay if you can. Bring a mic and test your pres ... just send the signal to the Quad in REC and watch the phase meter in the center section for each channel. Check your cues (quad and individuals). Also check to see what kind of condition the power supplies are in. Check to see if they've been maintained, check the fans, look for any indication of rebuild, and if they've been operated in a properly ventilated area.

As for quality of EQ and overall board "vibe", the G gets my vote, but I certainly wouldn't kick an E out of bed either. You're in a good spot either way.

Will you be hard wiring this to an HD system?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I worked on both and have a E Series in my room since 1999...

I thought a couple of times of getting an G or a J including a 1:1 deal somebody
offered me (a G Series for my E) but finaly found for myself that I need the "crunch" and
sound from the E Series. I have an 1986 (same as CLA) with G+ computer.

I miss some things on the E, like the macro keys, line in to meters,.... which I would
have on a G but I can live without it :-)

The G is a bit cleaner, but it's the driver not the car, however I prefer the E.

Either way, make sure you get an G+ computer (3,5" drives) and brown or black eqs.

wolfgang

🎧 15 years
I like them both... But, I mostly prefer the consoles with the E 242 EQ's. This is commonly referred to as the "black" EQ, but don't let that fool you... a lot of guys put black knobs on their EQ's. heh

Also, I think some of the best sounding consoles are the handful of E boards made during the transition to G.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A couple of notes on the SSL 4000 series:

1) The very last few 4000 E series console made and the very first 4000 G consoles made were the same except for a different paint job

2) The dynamic and EQ cards have gone through different revisions with the demands of the BBC over the years, so similar to Neve consoles you can have 2 different sounding consoles even though they both may be E's or G's.

3) You can make an older E more like a G by upgrading the line amps, VCA's and computer(which are all recommended). If the E is pre 83' than the auxes are probably unbalanced so that is something to consider modifying as well. The solo functions are different and i don't know anyone who modded this but it doesn't mean its not possible.

4) 4000G and G+ are the same console except for the computer, oxygen free wiring(does anyone really care), D&K phase meter(which can be added to a G as well). The very last G+(raven series) had the Bob Clearmountain/Bluestone/surround aux mod and a modified center section(less or no caps).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
both are great.
I would go for a G or G+ without any doubt...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, thank you guys! That's a lot of great feedback!
I'm gonna feed the SSL with 48 Channels of two SSL Alpha Link Converters. I'm working with Logic and will probably be doing a healthy balance between using plugins and the console. After 10 years of ITB-mixing I need some knobs again! None of the Control Surfaces and Summing Solutions come close to a real Console. Looked at the SSL Matrix and AWS, but I want EQ and Comp at every Channel.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Still a favorite among all series of SSLs, no?
Sure! Though often 4000 is thought to be transparent or paradise of sound, and it's got a very distinctive sound. It might be OR not your cup off tea. But it's not the only professional console on the world, as often it seems...

Though this i think they're great consoles, i've not only comissioned a few but also made a few records on them.

If i ever started a studio though (something i would never do) i wouldn't go for a 4000 myself.

Only my opinion
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemozart ➡️
I'm gonna feed the SSL with 48 Channels of two SSL Alpha Link Converters.
Than buy the biggest SSL console you can cram in your studio. I would say at least 64/72 channels. Trust me if you are hitting it with that many tracks you will need the extras channels for effect/parallel compressor sends & returns.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One of the biggest differences between E and G is the way the dynamics side chain works. The E series put the entire EQ into the dynamics Side chain. The G series would allow you to put ONLY the Hi and Low Pass filter to the Dynamics side chain. This to me a HUGH advantage. It allows you to have side chain effects while you sill have a 4 band EQ for audio processing. No way I could do without that. I guess I am just a SNOB. Good Luck. If you need repair on your SSL give me a call..
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemozart ➡️
I'm gonna feed the SSL with 48 Channels of two SSL Alpha Link Converters. I'm working with Logic and will probably be doing a healthy balance between using plugins and the console. After 10 years of ITB-mixing I need some knobs again! None of the Control Surfaces and Summing Solutions come close to a real Console. Looked at the SSL Matrix and AWS, but I want EQ and Comp at every Channel.
Hi Mobilemozart,
I am the german SSL Guy. Maybe I can help you finding what you need or help to avoid mistakes. Please feel free to contact me (ricow(at)solid-state-logic.de).
Rico
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL Germany ➡️
Hi Mobilemozart,
I am the german SSL Guy. Maybe I can help you finding what you need or help to avoid mistakes. Please feel free to contact me (ricow(at)solid-state-logic.de).
Rico
HI Rico,
Welcome to Gearslutz....Hope you are doing well !
Phil W.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Rico, thanks so much for offering your help! I'll e-mail you next week. Have a great weekend! Beste Grüsse, Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL Germany ➡️
Hi Mobilemozart,
Rico
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Rico...your first post on GS today, really??
...welcome to the end of the world (as we know it) heh

hahaha...to the OP.....call/email, Rico he´s a really nice guy and will be a great help!!

cheers tom
Old 7th February 2009
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I prefer the G series as the line amps are a LOT better sounding than the E line amps... I prefer the E centre section as it doesn't take up as much real estate but the operation of the G computer cuts out a few steps and is overall easier to get around.

Given my choice it would a E w/G line amps and software... but only if I had a ton of spares seeing as SSL no longer supports those desks in any way.

Peace.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
SSL G+ with E eqs (+ 3.5" floppies!) for me - I have no problem working on an E but I do miss the solo isolates and large keyboard. It's all about the EQs for me really, I'm not so keen on the G series EQ so any console with the black or brown knob EQs are fine by me.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My favorite 4000 is a G Series frame with E Series Eqs in channels 1 thru 24. That one was also retrofitted with Ultimation.
Old 30th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adria_BCN ➡️

I've comissioned various here in Spain. If you need help drop me a message.
I´m in Portugal Aveiro like 5 hours of Madrid by car, i´m looking for a technitian that knows how to assemble an ssl 4048 E G+ please contact me at [email protected].

Regards Miguel
Old 30th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah one of my favorite board to mix on is an SSL 4000 G+ with the right side of the board G eq's and the left side of the board E eq's.
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharris22883 ➡️
Yeah one of my favorite board to mix on is an SSL 4000 G+ with the right side of the board G eq's and the left side of the board E eq's.
^ This. Both are great, but if I could only have one I'd go with the E eq. The low band on the E eqs are switchable from peak to shelving, very useful. The switch on the low band of the G eq actually causes the low mid band to be divided by 3...useful for doing overlapping boost/cut, but not nearly as useful as the peaking/shelving on the E.

Everyone has pretty much pointed out the main differences. Some of them might seem small, but things like the slimmer center section actually do make a big difference in everyday use. I much prefer the slimmer center section. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe early versions of the E had unbalanced inserts?

Like people have said, you definitely want the G+ computer. Also, if it all possible get a spare console and computer power supply and a few spare modules. If your power supply goes down and you don't have a spare, well...you're up a creek.

Good luck on your purchase. SSL's don't get a ton of love here on Gearslutz, but they're wonderful to mix on. Maybe it's just that I've worked on them a lot, but I love the way they respond. E, G and J/K. Especially the eq. It just does what it should on every band. That plus great dynamics and the best routing around...anyway, you probably already like the way they sound or you wouldn't be buying one.
Old 18th May 2012
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like the E more (powerful eq). But the G+ sounds a lot more transparent due to the oFC cabling... Moving faders (ULTIMATION) are great but a bit tricky... I prefer the vcas. I also love to have some stereo channels with the M/S control.
Old 18th May 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio ➡️
I worked on both and have a E Series in my room since 1999...

I thought a couple of times of getting an G or a J including a 1:1 deal somebody
offered me (a G Series for my E) but finaly found for myself that I need the "crunch" and
sound from the E Series. I have an 1986 (same as CLA) with G+ computer.

I miss some things on the E, like the macro keys, line in to meters,.... which I would
have on a G but I can live without it :-)

The G is a bit cleaner, but it's the driver not the car, however I prefer the E.

Either way, make sure you get an G+ computer (3,5" drives) and brown or black eqs.

wolfgang
I have an '86 E Series with 48 black eq's. Pretty frikkin sweet sounding. Very rock n roll. My buddy has a G and it sounds great too. I don't think you can wrong either way.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Second James Lugo here!
we have a 4064 E with G upgrade (centre section is E frame) mixture of Brown, orange, black and maselec 9001 eq.
it's like marmite you either love it or hate it.
either way great buy!
make sure you get some old transformer based mic preamp if you go for the G
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or go with the J and you get BOTH black and G pink eq on every chanel! Muahahahha
Old 5th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonslave ➡️
Or go with the J and you get BOTH black and G pink eq on every chanel! Muahahahha

EVIL!!!
Old 6th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mata_haze ➡️
Second James Lugo here!
we have a 4064 E with G upgrade (centre section is E frame) mixture of Brown, orange, black and maselec 9001 eq.
it's like marmite you either love it or hate it.
either way great buy!
make sure you get some old transformer based mic preamp if you go for the G
Is this console originally from Parr St studios Liverpool? the eq configuration was like that!! :-)
Old 6th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz ➡️
Is this console originally from Parr St studios Liverpool? the eq configuration was like that!! :-)
Ehi Andy,
no it came from a private studio and originally it only had orange and brown.we spent ages tracking down the rest of EQ types.
Preamps are half G (transformer less) and half E (TRANSFORMER!!!) also VCAs are a mixture of old type 15 series, DBX gold can and THAT chips.
I guess I have pretty much all the flavours, not sure about VCAs, we are still testing, but I guess we will upgrade them all.

Mattia.
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm going for combinations also, running a mixture of E's and G's with different VCA's
At the moment I like:

G with a Gold 202 card is my particular favourite for Lead vocal ( with LA2a, Dbx 902, vintage pultec on the insert)

Drums: the E channels with Brown eq, very harmonic when driven, but you have to watch above 10k ( the GML on the 2bus is set with a boost in this area )

Bass: G series channel, with an E 242 Black eq, you can really pile the LF with bell on
📝 Reply