Quantcast
SSL 4000E and 4000G Console - real life difference - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL 4000E and 4000G Console - real life difference
View Poll Results: SSL SL4000E or G Console?
SSL E-Series, it's the Classic SSL!
50 Votes - 25.64%
I prefer the 4000G or G+, so much better!
53 Votes - 27.18%
Both E and G are great consoles.
77 Votes - 39.49%
It's all crap, get something different.
15 Votes - 7.69%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz ➡️
I'm going for combinations also, running a mixture of E's and G's with different VCA's
At the moment I like:

G with a Gold 202 card is my particular favourite for Lead vocal ( with LA2a, Dbx 902, vintage pultec on the insert)

Drums: the E channels with Brown eq, very harmonic when driven, but you have to watch above 10k ( the GML on the 2bus is set with a boost in this area )

Bass: G series channel, with an E 242 Black eq, you can really pile the LF with bell on
Regarding your choice for lead vocals I absolutely understand why you like it... especially if I look at what you insert on it! :D

what do you mean the GML on the 2bus?

can wait to collect all this info in one place...
Mattia.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mata_haze ➡️
Regarding your choice for lead vocals I absolutely understand why you like it... especially if I look at what you insert on it! :D

what do you mean the GML on the 2bus?

can wait to collect all this info in one place...
Mattia.
Hey Mattia,

GML 8200 eq, on the mix bus after the quad comp, shelving 10k + plus some other shaping, then mixing into that.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz ➡️
Hey Mattia,

GML 8200 eq, on the mix bus after the quad comp, shelving 10k + plus some other shaping, then mixing into that.
GOT IT,
thank you!

Mattia.
Old 25th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi everyone

I don’t know if this is the right thread to use, but since you are a lot of SSL users responding I’ll post my question here?

I have an SSL G console from 1990 with a G+ computer and 3,5” floppy. I love the sound and workflow on the console and wouldn’t want to replace it, but the total recall and computer part is my big problem.

My experience is, that customers generally expect to be able to return to a mix and I want to able to provide that service, but the G+ is a very unstable computer even with regular maintenance and once my computer crashes, it has a tendency to corrupt the floppy-discs. When ever the computer crashes and I can’t make it work on my own, I have to bring an engineer from England to Denmark for the fixes and still loose the contact to older floppy’s and therefor hours of work.

What are your experiences with the computer?
Are your computers unstable as well and how do you work around it?
Do you work with it or with out it?

My heart and head tells me that there has to be a way of making a new computer do the task of the G+ in a much more reliable way.
All it needs is to be able to transform the info from the total recall prints from the channels into a digital-code…
Not that I would be able to make that device myself?

Do any of you have any experience with getting a new computer working the total recall of the console?

I hope you can give me some advice or redirect me to the right thread if I am in the wrong place with my question.

/Louise
📝 Reply