Quantcast
003 vs PT HD PCIx - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
003 vs PT HD PCIx
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
003 vs PT HD PCIx

I have been searching these threads for about a week and haven't found an answer. I am going to purchase an 8 core Mac Pro, load it with ram, a UAD-2 card (going native RTAS) and run no more than 32 tracks in PT.
I have read about the PTLE limitations, while I could live with them, I am tired of half [email protected]@ing a DAW. I want it to just work.
PCIx core cards seem to be reasonable on ebay. Knowing I would need an expansion chassis (I am assuming there is PCIx to PCIe converter and maybe someone could recommend which one), Would there be any draw backs to getting a PT PCIx Core Card vs the 003?
I know this subject has been covered alot here.
thanks
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The only issue I've come across is that in PT HD, you use voices up when you add RTAS effects. You will be able to get... hm 96? voices on an HD1 system running at 44/48. I'm still figuring it all out and have managed to keep most of my processing on the card. Others might have more insight as to how that works exactly.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the reply. What about an expansion chassis? i have tried contacting Magma, but haven't gotten a phone call back. i am assuming they sell a PCIe host card that is compatible with their chassis and run the PCIx PT core card. Can anyone confirm this?
thanks
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…