Quantcast
R84 vs 44 vs 92 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
R84 vs 44 vs 92
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
R84 vs 44 vs 92

I find the r84 so useful that I want another one. However, I don't have stereo applications in mind (except maybe piano) - so I was thinking about one of the other AEA mics. The 44 seems pricey. The 92 seems like it might be great for a lot of the applications I use the r84 for - voice, horns, snare(! try it), violin, mando, string bass, amps, classical guitar.

Does it have that juicy velvety buttery thing the r84 has? Would it be as good as or better than the 84 in the applications I mentioned? Thanks. t.

PS on snare duty for the r84 - the null plane will do wonders for kick and hh bleed - the proximity effect makes for some serious punch, and the spl is a walk is a park.
Old 6th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconnell ➑️
Does it have that juicy velvety buttery thing the r84 has? Would it be as good as or better than the 84 in the applications I mentioned?
Yea, the R92 is worth a shot for your work to my ears, that thing is really velvety and smooth. All AEA ribbons are the beez kneez. You can't go wrong, with both in your arsenal. I'd probably opt to have another R84, because my love for that microphone is unparalled!!!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i enjoyed ones a drumsession with these ribbons, and i couldnt believe my ears. R84 where place A B in front of the drum, while some brauner phantoms in the back also AB. i was so impressed i loved the result better then most rockbands are recorded on drums.
very authentic.

i got a R92 and is mainly my basic setup for the recording and gives in the mix the most important signal.
im waiting to get my second R92 and the preamp.

greetz Peter
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
Two R84s in blumlein are amazing. If you don't have stereo applications in mind now, you will if you have two R84s. heh
Dig the Stereo Posts! I agree!!!
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mandolin in stereo with two R84s is awesome. So are horns, etc.

And they are so inexpensive, it is nuts not to have a pair.

Now if I was really wealthy, I would have a pair of those powered R44s as well.

Of course, if I was really wealthy, I would just buy every AEA mic I could in stereo pairs.

In fact, If I was really wealthy, I would not be writing on the board, I would be on my own island, making music and too relaxed to post here.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Anyone here ever compared the stereo R88 with a pair of R84's in blumlein? I wouldn't expect them to be the same. What would be some differences in sound characteristics?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are the R84's just a poor man's substitute for the R44? Judging from the comments over the years, it seems the R84's hold their own...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 ➑️
Are the R84's just a poor man's substitute for the R44? Judging from the comments over the years, it seems the R84's hold their own...
I don't think R84s are a poor man's anything. they're great mics on their own.

I have a pair of R84s and R92s. I'd said the R92 has a 57 flavor. way more upper mids than the R84 and way less bottom.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've used the R92 with great results on Electric guitar, clean/dist. Very smooth (you can put it right up on the grill, it can take it). But because of the figure 8 if I want a tight sound I either do it in a booth or close the room down.

I've also had amazing results on strings, winds, and brass but I know the others would be unbelievable for that as well.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does Blumlein require identical mics?

I have several fig 8 capable mics - does the theory of Blumlein require the mics be the same? No mention of that in what I have read. I can see using something like a UMT70s pointing sideways, and the r84 pointed at the source - getting more highs from the reflections. you would want the proximity effect to be similar I suppose - ie not an 84 and a 92 together. If I got a 92, however, I could use it for those spot applications, and still use the 84 for stereo with another figure 8 mic???? I guess I could always try it. .
Old 10th February 2009
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
i've used the 92 a few times, and i adore the 84, but it needs to be said: neither of those mics holds a candle to a real 44. they are fantastic tools in their own right, but the depth, character, and smoothness of a 44 are utterly unreal and, in a side-by-side, can make the others sound a bit like toys.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconnell ➑️
- does the theory of Blumlein require the mics be the same? I can see using something like a UMT70s pointing sideways, and the r84 pointed at the source - getting more highs from the reflections.
What you propose would be called a M/S configuration. Indeed, there is no problem using different mics.
Blumlein is like a XY configuration, with figure 8 mics. In that case you would like to use identical mics.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
got a question here too....

i got the R92 and im very happy with it. im thinking to get the 2nd one and also the ribbon mic pre from AEA.

now is the R84 way better? if yes i should try them, sell my R92 and get 2x R84.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would like to hear some samples so I can hear the real 44 and then hear the 84 sounding like a toy. Otherwise, I find this to be an indefensible statement based on my experience. Without such, I must contend that there is no way the 84 sounds a bit like a toy. That would be very helpful.

THANKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
i've used the 92 a few times, and i adore the 84, but it needs to be said: neither of those mics holds a candle to a real 44. they are fantastic tools in their own right, but the depth, character, and smoothness of a 44 are utterly unreal and, in a side-by-side, can make the others sound a bit like toys.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
Otherwise, I find this to be an indefensible statement based on my experience.

based on your experience with the 84, or based on your experience listening to tracks with a 44 and 84 side by side?

to be clear, i'm not terribly motivated to seek out clips that make my statement 'defensible'. you're free to hold to your beliefs, i have no need or desire to change your mind. i'm just calling it like i hear it; in direct comparisons, the top end of the 84 sounds hyped, artificial, and has a far less expensive, non-buttery sound to my ears.

how about if you post clips of the two mics side by side which shows the 84 holding it's own? otherwise, i must contend that my contention stands, and your refutation of my experience is indefensible. heh

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbang ➑️
I have a real vintage RCA 44-BX for sale that sounds very very good!
+1 on that, and they're mostly cheaper than the AEA. Also look for the RCA 77dx, usualy my fave.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBRAAA ➑️
got a question here too....

i got the R92 and im very happy with it. im thinking to get the 2nd one and also the ribbon mic pre from AEA.

now is the R84 way better? if yes i should try them, sell my R92 and get 2x R84.
Check out these examples of the R84 used as drum "under heads";
http://ma-mfg.com/material/silk_in_s..._under_441.wav
http://ma-mfg.com/material/silk_in_s..._music_441.wav
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We have 84's & a 44. Do they sound different? Lil bit.. Is the 84 a toy? Not at all. I love the 84.. thumbsup
Quote:
how about if you post clips of the two mics side by side which shows the 84 holding it's own? otherwise, i must contend that my contention stands, and your refutation of my experience is indefensible. heh
lol.. This reads like that guy who did his own secret, by the cover of night, neve clone shootout and insisted his opinion was gospel. heh heh
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Ive had pairs of r84 and r92. I would say the r84 is closer to a finished sound then the r92. the 84 is more pleasing immediately. I like the r84 better all around but mostly for vocal and acoustic with low cut or hpf. I liked the 92's for live rooms but not small rooms. too sensitive to the 3-400hz build up. I never felt like 92's were instant magic on a guitar cab. I would end up eq'ing alot of that low end out and watch the 1-2khz or youll have serious harsh gtrs at mixdown. Maybe its just my 92's but I think they are very different mics.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
AEA A440 might be ultimate choice.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That is the last word I would think of to describe the top end of the R84. You do not want to post clips to support your contention, fine. I have already posted clips on the internet of the R84s on trumpets and mandolins. I would love to the the 44s. I am sure they are great. But none of that should sway anyone away from an R84 which costs about $1000 new and is simply a fantastic mic.

Quote:
i'm just calling it like i hear it; in direct comparisons, the top end of the 84 sounds hyped,. . .

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is the last word I would think of to describe the top end of the R84. You do not want to post clips to support your contention, fine. I have already posted clips on the internet of the R84s on trumpets and mandolins. I would love to the the 44s. I am sure they are great. But none of that should sway anyone away from an R84 which costs about $1000 new and is simply a fantastic mic.
slow down boys. : ) I had a quick internet looky and found some comparrisons. Based on what I found I agree with UBK on the limited clips available. I found this:

www (dot) *************** (dot) com/jamroomsessions_home.php

the *** [deleted] with no space in between

something is totally wrong with my ability to paste a link on here.. i have no idea what... wierd...

after going to the AEA site. REALLY cool little site where you can easily compare files quick. This is a new AEA R44 but I think its miles above the rest on acoustic. Not perfect on every source, but I'd agree based on what I hear there UBK could be right and that based on those samples the R44 sounds natural and the 84 sounds "hyped" but only in the context of each other. Either one could work great in a mix. Sounds like my beyer m160 is closer to the R84 than R44 so a good contrast to what i already have might be an R44 one day.. sweet..

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
can anyone tell me why i can't get the link to show up correctly?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks - I will check out these clips later this evening.
I hope I can access the clips. Seems like I did once before.
Regards,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty ➑️
slow down boys. : ) I had a quick internet looky and found some comparrisons. Based on what I found I agree with UBK on the limited clips available. I found this:

[deleted]

something is totally wrong with my ability to paste a link on here.. i have no idea what... wierd...

after going to the AEA site. REALLY cool little site where you can easily compare files quick. This is a new AEA R44 but I think its miles above the rest on acoustic. Not perfect on every source, but I'd agree based on what I hear there UBK could be right and that based on those samples the R44 sounds natural and the 84 sounds "hyped" but only in the context of each other. Either one could work great in a mix. Sounds like my beyer m160 is closer to the R84 than R44 so a good contrast to what i already have might be an R44 one day.. sweet..

Russell
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The R84 happens to be a ribbon with top end presence but is in no way hyped to my ears. I've used maybe 4 or 5 different R84's over the years, none of them ever sounded hyped and I personally own one. I still find the R84 to be the most vibe you can pair with a natural sound in a single ribbon mic at $1k.

The R44 has a sheen to the sound that is incredible. The bottom end is rich and huge and open, an amazing "size" comes out of that mic. Smoooth mids, extremely forgiving sound.

The R92 has more upper midrange to the sound, far less bottom end, and less "air" to the sound.

Choosing either the R92 or R44 to complement your R84 is a good decision for what you're doing, in my opinion. The stereo R84 suggestion is a very very good one though.......

War
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just posted a shootout between the 84 and 92 today, check it out...

AEA R84 vs. R92 blind shootout inside!
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks War. In fairness to the posts about it being "hyped" maybe he meant in comparision to the R44 and not in general compared to other mics. I don't know.

All I know is I love the R84. And I know other super professional engineers that would agree with me. I would love the powered version of the R44 sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
The R84 happens to be a ribbon with top end presence but is in no way hyped to my ears. I've used maybe 4 or 5 different R84's over the years, none of them ever sounded hyped and I personally own one. I still find the R84 to be the most vibe you can pair with a natural sound in a single ribbon mic at $1k.

The R44 has a sheen to the sound that is incredible. The bottom end is rich and huge and open, an amazing "size" comes out of that mic. Smoooth mids, extremely forgiving sound.

The R92 has more upper midrange to the sound, far less bottom end, and less "air" to the sound.

Choosing either the R92 or R44 to complement your R84 is a good decision for what you're doing, in my opinion. The stereo R84 suggestion is a very very good one though.......

War
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just to throw this in... I don't understand why no one ever mentions Groove Tubes Velo 8 when the subject of ribbon mics is brought up. I run one on a Dr.Z MAZ 18 Jr through a Pendulum MDP-1... buttery creamy smooth. I couldn't ask for more. Competitve price, plus a field replaceable ribbon. Highly under rated mic IMHO.
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In fairness to the posts about it being "hyped" maybe he meant in comparision to the R44 and not in general compared to other mics. I don't know.

lol! that's exactly what i said, twice. in side-by-sides with a vintage 44, the 84 comes off hyped, even a little plastic on top. in any other context i would never *dream* of describing the 84 that way, i own one and i adore it to no end and compared to most ldc's it is positively buttery up top.

i can't speak to the aea 44, i've never used it; i'm talking about sun studio sounding, dented casing, 50-year-old patina covered rca technology.

in any case, this is why i've begun avoiding a/b comparisons wherever possible... i end up finding fault with things that really can't be faulted unless and until they're placed ass-to-ass with something superior. the result is an endless circle of chasing perfection, which ignores the reality that perfection is never needed, let alone possible.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3
I would like to hear some samples so I can hear the real 44 and then hear the 84 sounding like a toy.
You can hear the 84, 92 and 44 next to each other on the Ribbon Roundup CD.

Electric guitar, sax, drums and female vocal are the sources.

And a 77DX.
And a 4038 and 4040.
And a Beyer M160.
And a Royer 121 and 122.
And a C&T Studio Vocalist and Proscenium.
With a $130 Nady RSM 2 thrown in for kicks.

You can read about it here:

Lynn's Ribbon Roundup (or "What I Did on my Summer Vacation") - 3dB

I'm not trying to sell CDs, so I won't post a link for ordering.
πŸ“ Reply