Quantcast
R84 vs 44 vs 92 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
R84 vs 44 vs 92
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Off topic a litte - but check out the blue woodpecker recording on acoustic guitar on that website. I liked it better than either the 84 or 44. It is all a matter of taste. (awnd perhaps the particular placement, room, guitar, etc.)

It is really hard for me to compare the 84 and 44 on these samples. Mic placement and other factors could make a different. Certainly the 44 sounds big, rich and smooth. all more so than the 84. But too much more so? Hard to say. I thought it was too rich for the acoustic guitar recording, though placement, etc. could have made a different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha ➑️
All 3 mics are demoed here (see Jam Room Sessions).

studioXXXauditionsDOTcom

Remove XXX, and replace DOT with .
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Woodpecker

Nice tone, too much noise. Way too much. imo.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
Great comments. Thanks.
In your experience, what source(s) have your particular liked with the 44?
Guitar Cab, bass cab, some vocals. Didnt had much time and oportunity to try it on different sources. Too rich can be a pretty exact opinion of this mic.
Old 31st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Ok, I'm dumb, what are "Underheads"? Placed where?
Old 31st March 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 ➑️
Ok, I'm dumb, what are "Underheads"? Placed where?
Not dumb!

Check this out;
http://www.methodsandapplicationslab...nDrums-IBP.mov
Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
AB3: AEA 44 in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
Great comments. Thanks.
In your experience, what source(s) have your particular liked with the 44?
Hi, I d like to share my experience with AEA 44 mics.

I recorded a blues instrumental at Rimshot studios last year (UK).

The track is a slow blues called My Mood. First track on this page: Fred PG on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

We had one AEA44 over the drums and another one 4/5 feet away from my guitar cab.
Some other mikes were used in the room, we recorded on tape and the premps were top notch....but I know for sure that the larger than life (IMHO) tone of the guitar comes from the 44 in front of the amp as we tried other setups/mike and never nailed the same guitar sound again.
The guitar was a cheap squier strat and the amp a Fender Music Master silver face (bass) amp. Very simple setup, reverb was added later.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi, you wouldn't happen to recall what general attack and release setting you were using on the la2a for the mandolin ?

What would you say is a good distance from the 44 for the mando ??

I have a terrible time recording mandolins ... your tips would be be VERY much appreciated !!

Thanks very very much,
jls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpi ➑️
I'll second you on this. I recorded a mandolin (played by the excellent Harris Gardner) late last year and used the R84 through the TRP feeding an LA2A and it was just incredible. PERFECT, in fact. I think that it's one of those magical combinations.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 ➑️
Are the R84's just a poor man's substitute for the R44? Judging from the comments over the years, it seems the R84's hold their own...
There are some great clips available on the Jam Room Sessions (you'll need to Google this) as well as on the Tuesday Testers Ribbon Mic Test.

Personally, I feel that each AEA mic has it's perfect place, though the R84 is the center. In fact, my experience has been that the R84 works better on more sources more often than any other ribbon microphone. It just seems to have the perfect balance of frequency response, depth regardless of price. There may occasionally be another ribbon mic that works better on a particular source, but it is usually only slightly better sounding.

By comparison, the R44 just exhibits "guts" in it's sound that nothing else can seem to come close to replicating. For the money, some folks may feel that they can get what they need with the R84. However, I think that once you have the opportunity to use an R44, the results may just cause a severe addiction to this microphone.

As for the R92, it really is the "frequency-and-situation- compensated" AEA, meaning that the highs are more pronounced and the lows are less pronounced. Does this make this mic any less viable as some folks like to think? No way!!! Those frequency changes are pretty much what many folks end up doing with an equalizer after the fact. The fact that the R92 can be close mic'ed (due to the perfect low end cut) makes it a great choice for live use, too. It's quite a durable microphone as is the rest of the AEA line. I've never experienced such a dimension with a guitar sound; the PA seemed like a natural extension of the guitar amp. It's like I never heard the signal path at all.

Hope this helps.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear ➑️
Hi, you wouldn't happen to recall what general attack and release setting you were using on the la2a for the mandolin ?

What would you say is a good distance from the 44 for the mando ??

I have a terrible time recording mandolins ... your tips would be be VERY much appreciated !!

Thanks very very much,
jls.
It's been a while so I really don't remember the exact settings. The nice thing about an LA-2A is that there are no attack or release settings; it's all taken care of by the basic operational characteristics of the T4 opto cell. Really, I just sort of set it by ear. I think that I tried to do a maximum of -3dB of compression (it was in compressor mode). I was tracking with the LA-2A because I just wanted to get the mandolin sitting well in the track on the way in - less to have to do later! That's basically it.

As for the distance, I think the mandolin was about 2.5 to 3 feet back from the R84 which was feeding a channel of the AEA TRP, then to the LA-2A.

For what ended up being a fairly complex mix, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to eq the mandolin; it really held it's own.
Old 20th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
i've used the 92 a few times, and i adore the 84, but it needs to be said: neither of those mics holds a candle to a real 44. they are fantastic tools in their own right, but the depth, character, and smoothness of a 44 are utterly unreal and, in a side-by-side, can make the others sound a bit like toys.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
I just had the pleasure of demoing an R44CE last week, and put it head to head with my R84 on vocals. It has more proximity effect and ever so slightly stronger mids (this is almost inaudible). If I had my pick and price wasn't an option, I'd go with the 44 (and honestly, I could afford to get one if I was so inclined). But to say the 84 is a toy in comparison doesn't jive at all with the minimal difference I heard. I've heard Wes Dooley say that when he created the 84, his goal was to make a 44 for the married guy... And after comparing them, I think he (to a large extent) accomplished this feat.
Old 20th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My 2 cents.

I used to own a pair of R84s, now I have an R44. I never owned them at the same time so I never did a true side by side comparison.

However, I will say this. The R84 did not work for my voice. Did not sound good at all. The R44 sounds great on it. I did a record last year and ended up using the R44 on vocals more than my Flea 47. I also never thought the R84 was that great on acoustic guitar, and I like acoustic guitar miked with the R44.

My point is that they aren't the same mic.

The R84 excelled IMO on drums. I also used it on electric guitar with very good results. Didn't care for it on other sources.

I have yet to put anything in front of that R44 that doesn't sound good. I mike bass cabinets with it, guitar cabinets, acoustic guitar, male and female vocals, kick drum, and everything sounds great with that mic.
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These are from the shootout I did.
With or Without You (AEA R44) (r44)
With or Without You (AEA R84) (r84)
Old 22nd February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I'm a proud owner of an R84, an R92, and an R88. Love em all in different applications. Also frequently use vintage RCA 77s and 44s, and recently had the great pleasure to use the AEA R44C, which handily beat the 84, 92, and even the venerable RCA44 in a side-by-side shootout.
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just want to clarify that it is not my intention to say that the R84 is as good a mic as the R44. I only wanted to stress that in my experience, the R84 is no "toy" when compared to its older sibling. On some sources, like my voice, it's very clear that the differences between the 84 and the 44 are extremely minimal... To the point of being almost inaudible.
I also want to say that the guys at AEA are awesome, and a pleasure to deal with. I've used 4 of their mics, and all are amazing!
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have The AEA R84,RCA 44,RCA 74jr and others.

The R84 can be very nice on a good baritone vocal,drums,guitar amp.
The RCA 44 is the big daddy for a reason,classic.

I prefer the RCA 74jr. to the R84 most of the time,less top more mojo.
Old 15th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Friendly advice here.
Don't try AEA A440 before you have money to buy it.
Regret is guaranteed.
It is obsessively addictive piece of goodness.
It stays in same line with any classic high-end condenser, being more magical tool, but likely less of 'use it for all purpose' mic.
I can't praise it enough after several years of use.
Actually it is very friendly priced for such excellent product.
πŸ“ Reply