The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann TLM 103 - What compares?
Old 1st November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew ➡️
Try putting a cheap Chinese LDC in the freezer, then use it to record. It should give you some of the same harsh brittle flavor of a 103.
Oh come on, that's very HARSH!!! Made me chuckle though!!!!

On the more serious side, it is a good mic, but the marketing/rumour references to the K87 capsule, the weight of the Neumann bagde at the time of this mics launch and the performance/price ratio (price again based on the weight of the badge), were way heavier than any mic should be expected to carry.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlrich ➡️
I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a Neumann TLM 103 but would like to know what the top competitors are so that I can really do my homework before the purchase. Can anyone help?

I need something that is versatile since I will be recording several different vocalists and instruments.

Thanks gang!
How would you consider a TLM103 "versatile" ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duelisis ➡️
How would you consider a TLM103 "versatile" ?
I think that is the point. He doesn't really know the mic that well. Still, for those who do are a fan, they may well find it useful on several sources.

I am actually in the middle about this mic and wish more others would stop bashing it so hard. It is not incredible and it is not bad, but the negative label it has attached to it, is way too strong. People act like this mic slept with their wife and stole their car.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier ➡️
I think that is the point. He doesn't really know the mic that well. Still, for those who do are a fan, they may well find it useful on several sources.

I am actually in the middle about this mic and wish more others would stop bashing it so hard. It is not incredible and it is not bad, but the negative label it has attached to it, is way too strong. People act like this mic slept with their wife and stole their car.
I agree it's not a terrible mike. It's average. Not great, not bad. Not versatile either.

Maybe he should try a Brauner Phantom C. Not that versatile either, but a bit more useable in day to day aplication, and in the same price ballpark.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duelisis ➡️
I agree it's not a terrible mike. It's average. Not great, not bad. Not versatile either.

Maybe he should try a Brauner Phantom C. Not that versatile either, but a bit more useable in day to day aplication, and in the same price ballpark.
The Phantom C is fantastic. If you get the TLM103 with a shockmount, they are pretty much the same price, with the Phantom C coming with a shockmount and case as standard. They are different animals though. The Phantom C is more about clarity and fidelity. A very honest special mic.

If I was going to recommend some better options, IMHO, to the TLM 103 (Thinking of staying within the price range or lower), I would go for....

Brauner Phantom C
SE Electronics Z3300A
Audio Technica AT4070SV
Charter Oak E700
Neumann TLM 102
Shure KSM 32/44
📝 Reply