Neumann TLM 103 - What compares? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann TLM 103 - What compares?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew ➡️
Try putting a cheap Chinese LDC in the freezer, then use it to record. It should give you some of the same harsh brittle flavor of a 103.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➡️
Still may be a tad bit warmer than the 103

sound about right.......i mean wrong TLM103tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Try putting a cheap Chinese LDC in the freezer, then use it to record. It should give you some of the same harsh brittle flavor of a 103.
Hysterical!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️
found the answer to my own question, some quick research at Neumann's website:
"The K 103 large diaphragm capsule is based on the K 87" Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Microphones

"based on" is a rather vague term though. It's round, it's a LDC capsule...

then the reseller already sells it as "K87 capsule"...
NEUMANN TLM 103 - U.K. International Cyberstore

no wonder people are upset...
Jesus! MSRP is 1157 Euros? Freaking rip off.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️
found the answer to my own question, some quick research at Neumann's website:
"The K 103 large diaphragm capsule is based on the K 87" Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Microphones

"based on" is a rather vague term though. It's round, it's a LDC capsule...

then the reseller already sells it as "K87 capsule"...
NEUMANN TLM 103 - U.K. International Cyberstore

no wonder people are upset...
I told you that Neumann stated that it was based off of the K87... and that a common misconception was that it was the same capsule.

A little faith man, lol!

/seriously, I though you guys actually knew this. It's kind of common knowledge on this board.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Neumann stretched the truth VERY far in that description. The 103 capsule has NOTHING to do with a K87. If there's a derivation there, nobody I know can see it.

Furthermore, nothing about that mic has anything to do with a U87. Doesn't even sound like one.

Cheap radio announcer mic indeed. It's got a pointedness I don't care for at all.
IMHO IMHO IMHO

Totally agree. It's sounds pointy (not mid forward, just pointy and it quite harsh IMHO)

Even when the thing is not plugged in (and it has not been plugged in for a year), it still sounds too bright dfegad

If what you want is a vocal microphone that has some character to it. A signature sound if you wish, then contact Dave Perlman and go with the German tube. For the price difference of maybe $500 (?), you're in a different league. The guy builds real mics with mucho bang for the buck.

At that price point for a condenser, Perlman is hard to beat. The Tele AK47 is also good at that price point.

Fletcher is big on the AK47 at that price point. (a few dollars more than a 103)

The 103 I guess would not be horrible for podcasts.

Not a fan of it at all.

I have a mint one sitting on the shelf if anybody wants it. It smells minty harsh

PS: The 930 is one heck of a lot of bang for the buck. Versatile. A horse for many courses. Horns, jazz piano in ORTF, drums etc...

My comments are not meant to denigrate anyone who owns a 103 and enjoys it. If you own one and enjoy it, then that is great.

I simply and truly detest this microphone.

Cheers,

John
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I end up having the exact same problem on every recording I make with the TLM 103.
Once the singers (all female in this case) get louder it just gets really harsh, in fact so harsh that no eq can fix it in the mix. I often have to do the "Pensado" 3k removal trick.

I dont mind its brightness really because usually I mix my vocals with a lot of topend anyway.

The other day I recorded a track with a real quiet vocal. I put the singer real close to the mic and I thought the result was great. No loud parts in this track.

When I started using this mic (about 10 years ago) I thought it was the singers voice which is extremely harsh (which sometimes they are) but having worked with a huge amount of singers and always having the same problem kinda proves that its definately a negative charecteristic of this mic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The TLM 103 is fine as an entry level mic. Problem is it is priced at a position that means it plays with better mics. Just way too expensive for what it offers. Do yourself a favour and get a Rode K2 for much less. Better competitor in that league. An old 414 would serve you much better. There are far too many better options to talk about.

But I am a slut and I will stick with my U67.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 ➡️
/seriously, I though you guys actually knew this. It's kind of common knowledge on this board.
The problem with this board is the blurry border between common knowledge and common believe. In case of the 103 I know from better sources that it was intended as a "cheap" radio announcer mic. (relatively cheap within Neumann standards) Marketing later made it into something else apparently. They greedily(is this a correct adverb?) saw the potential of this mic, selling in quantities to people who want the Neumann logo and can't read a frequency response graph, so in the end it probably is an "educationally challenged meets creative marketing" issue.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I believe that most TLM 103s have been sold because of the logo and of people who havent demoed it or havent compared it to something else.

I really can see its use and "excellence" for speech application where the harshness rather is clarity and makes the voice cut through better.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i think the mic sounds great.... sheesh...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous ➡️
i think the mic sounds great.... sheesh...
yeh, just depends on what.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg ➡️
I believe that most TLM 103s have been sold because of the logo and of people who havent demoed it or havent compared it to something else.
I couldn't agree more. Testing out the stuff before you buy it is an essential step before you settle on a mic. To do otherwise is just plain foolish.

I really can see its use and "excellence" for speech application where the harshness rather is clarity and makes the voice cut through better.[/quote]

Take that aspect of the 103, add in it's SPL, and I think you've got the reason so many VO people use the mic, especially with certain ADR applications.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I ran my 103 through a Vintagedesign M73D preamp to record female vocals the other day. Sounded very good! I love this mic.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlrich ➡️
I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a Neumann TLM 103 but would like to know what the top competitors are so that I can really do my homework before the purchase. Can anyone help?

I need something that is versatile since I will be recording several different vocalists and instruments.

Thanks gang!
Closest competitor would be fingernails on a blackboard

TH
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Please send all your unwanted tlm103's to me... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
Closest competitor would be fingernails on a blackboard

TH
I just can't understand the hate for this mic.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

hey that the tlm103 mod heh
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Neumann TLM 103 doesn't suck:

Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➡️
I'm with ya on this Danny... I have two of these.. and I like 'em both

I could see if some poor guy actually paid MSRP for one, as I believe there are lots of probably better mics for $1200... I got mine used for about $600 each (with shockmounts yet).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich ➡️
Neumann TLM 103 doesn't suck:

Well, I certainly don't like the sound of that vocal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➡️
Spend some time with some really good mics, then go back to the TLM103, and you'll get it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh my.... what am I doin' in High End

I didn't bring any Grey Poupon... a thousand pardons.... I'mma outa' here
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➡️
Oh my.... what am I doin' in High End

I didn't bring any Grey Poupon... a thousand pardons.... I'mma outa' here
*sigh*

who let the rabble out of their cage?

/I keed, I keed
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Well, I certainly don't like the sound of that vocal.
not even this one?
YouTube - My Favorite Things

(yes, yes, it's a bit toppy...)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Brain ➡️
not even this one?
its fine, but could be so much better.

its about the music first, always, so i don't think any of us are confusing sound quality with the fact that those performances and songs are good (imho over here at least)

we are still talking sound quality, aren't we?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Brain ➡️
not even this one?
YouTube - My Favorite Things

(yes, yes, it's a bit toppy...)
wow. go figure. 100's of comments about how everyone loved the "music" and i don't think i read one comment saying "you used a [email protected]?" if there is one in there, it'll be someone from gearglutz, tha's for sure .hahahaha

and jj, you're commenting on the sound of a mic from a youtube feed? wtf ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmiguel ➡️
its fine, but could be so much better.

its about the music first, always, so i don't think any of us are confusing sound quality with the fact that those performances and songs are good (imho over here at least)

we are still talking sound quality, aren't we?
I guess I was half-in-jest trying to point out that when the music is fine, the 103 can do an adequate job that won't get in the way of enjoying it. Other than that, sure, there are nicer sounding vocal mics out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gefell makes two wonderful mics for "entry level," the M930 and the MT71S.

And if you want HUGE, Pearlman's TM-1 and TM-2 will do just fine.

If you want a reasonable, responsible, truthful mic for less, consider the Violet Designs Flamingo Jr. - a real bargain.

You don't need the TLM 103 unless you want to clean those paint ribbons off your ceiling.

For voiceover the TLM 103 cuts really well, through music, plasterboard and the nation of Guatemala.

3rd&4thT
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&4thT ➡️
Gefell makes two wonderful mics for "entry level," the MC930 and the MT71S
you mean, M930 (MC is the beyer thing).
Sure, in most (but not all) cases MT71S would be preferable on vocals. (not so sure about the M930). Today buying a gefell in favor of the 103 would be an easy decision. 10 years ago when I got my 103 (for $780, still have the receipt!) it was a different story.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
To be fair, I don't find it a bad mic at all. It's never GOING to be the best, but I take it for what it is, a basic condenser mic. I just can't stand the way people compare it to nails on a chalkboard - people seem to like it enough to keep buying it.
📝 Reply