Quantcast
What preamp are you using with your Bock 151? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What preamp are you using with your Bock 151?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What preamp are you using with your Bock 151?

and your experience with this mic in your world. Thanks gearslutz.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Bock 151 is of the great LDC's. It is a great mic for just about any vocal, and works well on acoustic guitars and pianos.

Depending on the vocalist, I like to pair it with a Pacifica pre. But my Api 312 and GR ME 1NV both work well with it too.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I absolutely love mine. However mine is of the Soundelux E251C variety. The switch gives you two great distinctively different sounds.

I have had great success with the Chandler TG2 and the Neve 1073. So there are four flavours here!

Paul
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used the earlier Soundelux E250 variety (an E251c with only the normal or what I consider the "vintage" circuitry, no switch) with great success using a Focusrite ISA428. I like slightly only colored to clean preamps with the ELUX 151/251/250 stuff, as the sound of the mic alone is already what I'm going for... plus often going into a colored compressor anyway.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have the Soundelux model, and it sounds great with most every pre I own. I do think Neve based pres sound awesome with it.

-SD
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy ➑️
...as the sound of the mic alone is already what I'm going for...
You're right, this mic is already "there".

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Elux 251 normally through a GT Vipre, sometimes API.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been tracking a Sade sounding female vocalist with a friend's 251c the past 2 weeks for my friend's project. I can't express how impressed I've been with this wonderful mic.

We did a lot of comparisons the first day, including Peluso 251 & 2247LE, Brauner Valvet, U87 & 89 etc; and the Soundelux was in a class of it's own on her voice.

Trying different preamps, we settled on a Pacifica with the pad in and the gain cranked almost all the way up. It added a nice fullness and great character. Great River, API, Millennia weren't quite as creamy.

I love that mic. Up to now I've been very happy with my Peluso 22-251 on most female vox. The 251c outshines it in numerous ways.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a bock 151 and often use it with a gama preamp.
sounds good through the wunder pa4 also.

I only recently have started using the mic w/o the brite switch engaged.

thick and creamy!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr ➑️
Trying different preamps, we settled on a Pacifica with the pad in and the gain cranked almost all the way up. It added a nice fullness and great character.
Yes, I could imagine the Pacifica also being a great choice for this mic...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
great, thanks all.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Soundelux 251 here through an BAE 1073 and it sounds fantastic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hate this notion on GS that certain mics are best paired with certain pres for certain types of music. I've been engineering a fairly long time, and before gear pimps were trying to sell stuff on the internets, we engineers never had discussions like, "Which preamp should I use for jazz flute?"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
we engineers never had discussions like, "Which preamp should I use for jazz flute?"
Well when you're recording a great jazz flutist, the preamp doesn't really matter.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
I hate this notion on GS that certain mics are best paired with certain pres for certain types of music. I've been engineering a fairly long time, and before gear pimps were trying to sell stuff on the internets, we engineers never had discussions like, "Which preamp should I use for jazz flute?"
That's because we were stuck with one preamp choice... the ones in whatever console you had. It's a different world now, and we're better off for it, IMO. I like the additional sonic pallette of different colours of preamps.

Oh, and to back up the poster who said the TG-2 & the 151/e251C really like each other... YES INDEED, THEY DO!
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't see many posts about the Vipre, but I would love to hear one sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew ➑️
Elux 251 normally through a GT Vipre, sometimes API.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting point. Sometimes it is nice to try a lot of them just for differences. One not necessarily better than the other. Personally, I think the mic(s) and position, flute, flutist, room - all matter a lot more.

Quote:
Well when you're recording a great jazz flutist, the preamp doesn't really matter.

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Wonderful example. How many different combinations of flutes, lighters and breath mints did he have to put up before discovering just the right combination ... ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This has been mentioned before, but honestly, as long as you are using a good discrete type pre, changing preamps is going to have less effect than changing the position, angle or pattern of the mic (even though the 151 is cardioid only).

I used to use a Neve 1073 as my main vocal pre, and it sounded great on everything, with the only exception being headroom issues on some singers. Ever since I got my Vac Rac, that's all I use, and I never have headroom issues.

But honestly, the things I just mentioned, or the compressor, are going to have way more audible effect than the pre.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thank you everyone!
πŸ“ Reply