The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dBfs addition, RMS
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
dBfs addition, RMS

Hey everyone...

I have some basic, potentially dumb questions:

1) How does the addition of signals in a DAW - with a given peak dBfs value - take place??

Let's say I have one Stereo group peaking at -6 dB. Another Group peaking at -14, another one peaking at -11 and so on...
Is there a way to calculate where it would peak if summed together???

'Cause I find this highly unpredictable...

On what does the behaviour of the addition/summing depend?

Even if mixed everything properly, and have a cool mix, with no single track peaking higher than - 6 dB etc. I'm nonetheless surprised most of the time, how the groups I have in a mix (8 stems) add up in terms of dB.

Any basic rules? Explain it to me...

2) When people say e.g. a Rock mix should have an average RMS value of 13-18 dBfs (When highest peak is 0 dB of course) , does it mean equally weighted or A, B, or C weighted?
What time measurement ? 120? 160?
I use Waves Meters.

3) Why is it, that some (untreated) snares sound somehow "quiet" , while others sound extremly loud although having the same peak? Of course it has to do with frequency response, but even if they are not far away sound wise - some just sound "louder". Wouldn't it be preferable to use sounds in a production, which make a loud impression in the first place, (especially with drums) as it then would get easier to make a loud mix?
I do Rock music, so I ask myself if it is MUCH easier to make a loud hip hop or black mix, if you don't have the necessity to put a gun shot like high peaking snare in there? Cause how loud I get in the end depends on how loud I want/get the snare mostly...

All slutz are welcome to chime in...
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
For the first one, I'd say take a look at the master bus meter?
for the 3rd one, it depends on the tune of the snare, material, mics used, preamps, but I think mostly depends on the mix itself and all the elements in it. Of course you can try to "match" somehow two snares and make them sounds similar, but then you have to count all the other elements..
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yeah ... lol I do look at the master bus...It's not about how I can find out where it will peak...I have no problem getting the mixes I want...it's about WHY everything adds up as it does...I want to understand...physically and mathematically...like: drums peaking at -5 + Vocals peaking at -7 = ?

You are right, material, preamps, how it's mixed...but what actually does make a sound (without compression/limiting) loud? Is it upper harmonic distortion? What ist it?

Another question comes to my mind...can somebody explain to me why 0 dbFs is the absolute border line? What technical reasons?
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
bump
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…