Quantcast
24 channel Wunderbar Console - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
24 channel Wunderbar Console
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Testing the wonder of Wunder!

So, I've read all the posts about maestro's wunderbar and since I am in the process of deciding if the Wunderbar was meant for my studio as well, I thought I'd put some word out on the sound of Wunder Audio.

First I have to say above it all, having a company that will be there to support you when things go wrong is a big decision maker for me. Mike at Wunder is a great guy to get info from about Wunder and anything else. Plus after talking to many other companies, which I won't list so people don't get pissed, Mike and Wunder are very personable and don't give you the "I'm above you" gear geek attitude.

So, Mike sent me a PEQ2R to test how the channels sound in the Wunderbar. The PEQ2 kicks hard! They are no joke! The only thing I wish I could still hear is how these puppies stack up on one another and of course, how the Wunderbahn and the other busses sound.

I just began the shootout today with a few pres I had readily available in the studio. I tested vocals, piano, kick, and snare. I ran each track into the PEQ2 and other pres via a mult box and used a test signal to make sure the exact gain and volume were going in and out of the pres.

First test...API 512c vs the PEQ2. I recorded a vocal into the pres and straight to my hd2/192 i/o rig while monitoring on a pair of Genelec 8030A's. I'll be totally honest, the PEQ2 was hyped up a lot by Mike and a lot of other reviews I read so I expected to be blown away. Not the case. It sounded very very close to the API 512c, however, there was a difference and I found this was beginning of me finding the difference of the PEQ2 and other high-end pres.

The PEQ2 seemed to add a little more in the ends of the spectrum in terms of presence, but the thing that stuck out to me and the other engineer who was listening with me is that the PEQ2 has a wider sound. Not in the sense that the mono channel just suddenly turned into stereo, but the sound seemed to just fill the room and not come out directly out of the speakers. The sense of fullness was not necessarily a sonic thing, but more of a feel in the space. Very cool!

But like I said, sonically, the API was very close. I then matched the PEQ2 with a crappy soundcraft live board pre and could notice a difference, but I wasn't blown away in the difference as I was expecting sonically. Again though, space is a different story. The overall sound of the PEQ2 was just wide and full of presence.

I tried it on other instruments and found a similar thing.

However....time for the EQ. This is where the miracle appeared, hence the name of the company I guess! The PEQ2 is outrageously full, wide, and just set me back in my seat! I put a poorly recording kick through it and got a sound as if I had compressed on the way in and added a side-chained gated low-end signal to boost the thump.

It made everything shine! I was really worried that PEQ2s awesomeness was just a myth, but WOW! This thing kicks some serious tail!

So, I have the PEQ2 for another week when I'm sending it back to Mike. I'll be doing some more shoot outs, hopefully with different EQs and maybe even putting it up to a tube pre. I'll keep updating the post with the results because as I said before, it was very hard to find any reviews about how this stuff really sounds.

So in summary for test day one...

The PEQ2 is a great pre. It's right up their with one of my favorites, the API 512c. The EQ is unbelievable! You can peg the filters and the sound holds true. I also tried the instrument in with a thinline tele and the sound was so warm and present it sounded like a twin reverb. Even the natural overdrive sounded good when I pushed it. Wide, present, and beautiful!

My only complaint would be that it would be helpful to have another filter for the mid but then again, this is a 1073 inspired unit...a great tool to embellish your mic placement, but not the tool you want if your mic placement sucks and you need to cut out the bad. Isn't that what SSL is for?

More soon...
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I concur..

i was one of the first ones to buy one and thought it was fantastic.. a definite complement to all your other must have pre's and favorites

My review on the wunder site is still there.. its here somewhere too.
Wiggy
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are pics that were requested with the Apple 23" Monitor in place.
Attached Thumbnails
24 channel Wunderbar Console-wundermonside2.jpg   24 channel Wunderbar Console-wundermonfront2.jpg   24 channel Wunderbar Console-wundermonclose2.jpg  
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
gorgeous! maestro, when you get the stereo buss hooked up, i'd love to hear what you think of it. i only got to demo the channel, but after that I can only imagine the stereo buss kicks just as hard.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just found this thread. I must say, the Wunderbar is probably the best looking console I have ever seen, and from what I have read, it sounds quite amazing as well. If I had the bucks to throw down on a high end console, this would definitely be my first choice. Congrats on the purchase maestro.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just went from 6 to midnight.
Old 5th March 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
24 channel wunderbar in Austin

hello, thought id chime in. Ive been working with the 24 channel wunder console for several months now. Interested to hear from other users about their experiences with their Wunder boards.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38national ➑️
hello, thought id chime in. Ive been working with the 24 channel wunder console for several months now. Interested to hear from other users about their experiences with their Wunder boards.
care to share your experiences with it, you know, to get the ball rolling?
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Originally Posted by 38national
care to share your experiences with it, you know, to get the ball rolling?

hmmm if it is anything in the league of the individual modules.. i think to paraphrase Tom Waits... it might.. "give you an erection to win the election'.. nuff' said!

Wiggy
Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
hey Wiggy! Why don't you tell us your impressions, didn't you say you've been working on one for several months now? Would love to hear about real world experience =)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think he was quoting 38national.

Since this thread has opened again want to help me choose the right setup with Pro Tools HD1 and 2 Lynx Auroras?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
well let's just hear some feedback on this console from anybody! Sure it looks awesome, but how does the frackkin' thing sound?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i hope to have my HD system soon (i'm saving up!). Then i can let you know.
Old 14th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymax ➑️
Get schematics. I promise it will help you down the line.
Mike has just emailed me a 65 page schematic document. Thanks Mike.

Hoping he will send me a User Manual soon.
Old 17th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Maestro, after you track and mix a song on the console, would you post it on a myspace page or here? I'd really like to hear something from this board, and I bet so would many others!

So uhmm, yeah, where do you live? hehe
Old 17th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wouldnt really sweat the users manual. Its all pretty obvious.
As soon as the first thing breaks you'll be psyched for the schematics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro ➑️
Mike has just emailed me a 65 page schematic document. Thanks Mike.

Hoping he will send me a User Manual soon.
Old 18th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Maestro, thanks for sharing...

I'm especially curious about the three different flavours on the busses. It would be great to have your opinion on that - like for example how API it can really sound, etc.

By the way, why not at least one or two Neve pairs on it for a different sound?
Old 18th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
its one thing to post pics of the console..I get that, hooray for everything, high 5's, reverse down low high 5's....

but to show pics of it lit up...and with the Mac flat panel dropped in...well thats sucks

hope you rock that thing silly
Old 8th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan ➑️
Hi Maestro, thanks for sharing...

I'm especially curious about the three different flavours on the busses. It would be great to have your opinion on that - like for example how API it can really sound, etc.

By the way, why not at least one or two Neve pairs on it for a different sound?
I must confess i don't really know the API sound because i never used API. I'm in the process of trying to purchase a 2nd hand HD rig (overspent a shade on the console and just bought my new Mac Pro!) but as soon as i do i'd be more than happy to put some samples up.

I had thought about leaving some space for Neves. Perhaps in the future i will buy a rack to hold some modules and do some swaps with the console.
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thats the only thing about Wunder products none of them have manuals, or cases! Great console though!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well... Actually there is a complete 65 page service manual included for the desk and there is a separate manual for the PEQ2 modules as well. I got to be careful what I say on here because earlier in the thread I joked about a 1 page manual and it has since become legend. Also all the mics come in quarter sawn oak cases.

take care
\/\/)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just wanted to share the love for Wunder...the PEQ-1 is such a banging preamp. I can't imagine how awesome this console must be. Maybe one day...
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalSound ➑️
Maestro, after you track and mix a song on the console, would you post it on a myspace page or here? I'd really like to hear something from this board, and I bet so would many others!

So uhmm, yeah, where do you live? hehe
I'm about to buy a Digi 192 from a fellow Gearslut and hopefully soon after that the HD1 PCIe card (need to get a total of 24 i/o). As soon as i can get the HD setup going i'll post a track for you. Quite a few people have contacted me to put their mixes through the console so i will be in a position to do that also.
Old 13th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wunderbar Master Section to PTHD

So i'm currently running PTHD1 with 2 192 i/o with expansions to give 24 ins and 24 outs.

I'm new to consoles and would like opinions on the best way to connect the Wunderbar Master Section to Pro Tools without having to constantly swap cables at the back.

I don't really want to go patchbay right now but would that be cheaper than buying another Accel PCIe card and expanded 192?

I've included a pic of the back of the master section.
Attached Thumbnails
24 channel Wunderbar Console-109319d1233878329-24-channel-wunderbar-console-mastersection.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
maestro, congratulations. That is a beautiful looking console and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you entropy. I'm very pleased with it. I'm hoping to wire up Master Section soon and make some tracks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it's crazy not to have a patchbay with a console.
It'll make life a million times easier for you.
Deleted 8456dd3
A patchbay is damn near essential!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 ➑️
A patchbay is damn near essential!!
Thanks!! Anyone care to recommend a type suited to the console and PTHD?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
It's not the "type' that's important, but how you wire it. Personally, I'd go with ADC TT bays, but Switchcraft are also good. You can get them used cheap, but ultimately, it's the wiring install that separates the men from the boys. Do a search on "star grounding", "install", "patchbays" and you'll have reading for a month. If you don't completely get it and are planning on more additions in the analog world - tape machines, outboard, etc.., I'd suggest you hire a tech to guide you. The worst thing is an expensive system that's installed poorly.
πŸ“ Reply