Quantcast
Drum Miking with pair of AKG 414s - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Miking with pair of AKG 414s
Old 5th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Drum Miking with pair of AKG 414s

Yesterday in class we tried a bunch of different close-miking techniques on a drum kit, along with the trad. overheads, all with moderate to high end mics. At the very end of class, my teacher set up two akg 414s about 3-5 feet back from the set, one facing the set with the cardioid pattern, one orthogonal to the set with the figure 8. He then copy and pasted the figure 8 track in protools (making two of the same track), polarity reversed one of those two, then panned them hard left and hard right, with the cardioid track center panned.
I ended up liking this sound far more than any of the close-mic combos we used. I was wondering if anybody has done something similar (I'm assuming yes), and if so, what do you think about it? Also, did you use any different mics to do something similar?
cheers.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
sounds like standard MS (mid-side) mic'ing to me. its a pretty common mic'ing technique, especially in film from what i understand. the largest upside to MS mic'ing is that you have really great control over the stereo width of the image while retaining perfect mono compatibility.

i think acoutsic guitar is a favorite candidate for MS mic'ing.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
classical stereo technique

ms has been around for a long time; mostly classical engineers have used it for many years...doing it with a better pair of mics than 414's will yield superior results...try the glyn johns technique on drums....its wonderful ( 4 mics ) and very very fast to set up ....the details are on my website....danalexanderaudio.com.....
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan alexander ➡️
doing it with a better pair of mics than 414's will yield superior results....
any suggestions?
📝 Reply