Quantcast
Looking to ad 3 pairs of must have mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to ad 3 pairs of must have mics
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Looking to ad 3 pairs of must have mics

Which mics would you buy in pairs? Budget cannot exceed 7k per mic, and the 3 pairs need to pretty much cover most recording sources. I already own alot of the workhorse mics such as sm57, 58, sm7b, 421's, d12, etc. Thanks for your help!
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Royer R-121
Neumann U87
Some of them Neumann U47 clones

maybe?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get yourself a pair of Bock 151s, unless your budget can get you a pair of the 251s.

Pairs of U87s and Royers is a good idea, as somebody suggested. Both of those are very flexible mics.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Are you recording 3 stereo sources at once, or one source at a time and you want to be able to capture it with 3 different flavors?

War
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
7K per mic? very cool. Maybe a set of M50's?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would grab a pair of Schoeps CMC641's (super cardioid) or CMC64's (cardioid). They both come with the CMC6 Mic amplifier and you can get any capsule for them in the future.
Great sound!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No I won't be using all 3 pairs at once. I'm curious if there is a huge difference between the Telefunken 251 e and f models. Also do you guys think that the royers are the most versatile ribbons? Are the M50 better than a U47? Looking at Wunder and Telefunken for U47 flavor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The M50 is a dedicated omni mic. As far as I can tell, nobody has been able to recreate exactly what the originals do, and those go for $15k a piece. Even if they were cheaper, I would get something a little more flexible.

T-USA has made some improvements in their 251 (I have their latest incarnation here right now), but I prefer the Bock. But that's just me. So if your question is E or F, my answer is B.

Are you spending $7k per mic or per pair?

I would rent some of this stuff and become familiar with how they sound before you go and spend that kind of coin. I don't see any condensers in your list. How much experience do you have with them? Which ones have you used?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
7k per mic is the limit. So whats the deal with the new Telefunken's?
Founder

Ribbon pair (or stereo mic)
Large condenser pair (or stereo mic)
Small condenser pair (or stereo mic)

a possible plan?

What you into? Whats the vibe? Whats for lunch?

heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Jules,
Mostly will be recording rock and pop. I forgot to mention that I already have a matched pair of akg 414's. Give me some ideas for small condenser pairs that are worthy. I'm not even going to bother looking for used KM84's or anything else used. Don't want to take the chance on it breaking on me.tutt
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
mic pairs...

is it 42,000. for 6 mics? or 7000 for 6 mics?
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would get a pair of DPA 4006 for small condenser omnis.

Then a pair of ribbons - probably AEA R44 types - whatever his best ones are.

Then a pair of U47 type mics. Personally I really like my matched pair of Wunder CM7s. But I have not tried to the new Tele remakes. A pair of Bock 251s would be great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamk ➑️
Jules,
Mostly will be recording rock and pop. I forgot to mention that I already have a matched pair of akg 414's. Give me some ideas for small condenser pairs that are worthy. I'm not even going to bother looking for used KM84's or anything else used. Don't want to take the chance on it breaking on me.tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser MKH 8040 cardioid set for the small capsule condensers.
A pair of Royer 122's for the ribbons.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Spend the first $2000 getting some quality time with a quality recording engineer in a world-class studio, where you can audition mics all day long. I'm sure the leftover $40k will be adequate.

And if you think I'm joking, I'm not...this is exactly what I would do if faced with this "problem".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat+ac30 ➑️
Spend the first $2000 getting some quality time with a quality recording engineer in a world-class studio, where you can audition mics all day long. I'm sure the leftover $40k will be adequate.

And if you think I'm joking, I'm not...this is exactly what I would do if faced with this "problem".

I do have to Agree with you here. THere are so many good choices to be made. I think that mic shopping is so subjective that you need to listen ans compare as many as possible. Make sure you don't juswt stay mainstream, companies like bock, pearlman etc make some great mics.

cheers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
I would get a pair of DPA 4006 for small condenser omnis.

Then a pair of ribbons - probably AEA R44 types - whatever his best ones are.

Then a pair of U47 type mics. Personally I really like my matched pair of Wunder CM7s. But I have not tried to the new Tele remakes. A pair of Bock 251s would be great as well.
+1 for this list, though if you really have $7G/mic,

I'd get 4 pair with:
DPA 4006TL (omni SDC) ~$5000/pair for complete kit (with all grids/etc)
DPA 4011TL (card SDC) ~$5000/pair for complete kit
AEA-44C (ribbon) ~$8000/matched pair

That leaves $24K for finding a great LDC pair. U47 type would be great here (Wunder CM7 @ ~$12K/pair, Wagner U47w), M49 type (Wunder again), CK12 capsule type (esp if you do drums alot) or, for something modern, Brauner VMA pair (2 in 1 mic for ~$18K/pair.)

Leaves $6K for anything else like a pair of Coles 4038 (ribbon ~2600/pair)
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
The M50 is a dedicated omni mic. As far as I can tell, nobody has been able to recreate exactly what the originals do, and those go for $15k a piece. Even if they were cheaper, I would get something a little more flexible.

T-USA has made some improvements in their 251 (I have their latest incarnation here right now), but I prefer the Bock. But that's just me. So if your question is E or F, my answer is B.

Are you spending $7k per mic or per pair?

I would rent some of this stuff and become familiar with how they sound before you go and spend that kind of coin. I don't see any condensers in your list. How much experience do you have with them? Which ones have you used?
Someone has, and it would be nice to get one one day:

wunderbar WUNDER AUDIO
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you find them to be sweet on cymbals and high hats. Also, I could not get my tom mics to sounds as good as my Pearlmans. (I was using a pair of TM-1s.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 529 Pro Audio ➑️
I just finished an entire record using primarily a Pearlman TM-1 and TM-2 on everything from drum overheads to acoustic instruments to vocals. For about $2500 for the pair, you can cover a lot of sonic ground.

Best,
Chris
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
a possible plan?

What you into? Whats the vibe? Whats for lunch?

heh
Whatever Jules is buyin'
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
JGive me some ideas for small condenser pairs that are worthy. I'm not even going to bother looking for used KM84's or anything else used.
That's a huge mistake IMO. Nothing comes close......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm not even going to bother looking for used KM84's or anything else used. Don't want to take the chance on it breaking on me.
I encourage you to re-think this. There's no gamble if you buy KM84s from a reputable dealer who vouches for their condition and will take them back if you're not satisfied. After that it's up to you to break them just as you'd break anything else. And you will love them. And if you don't, you'll be able to sell them in six months for 20% more than you paid for them.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
(X2) Soundelux E49. My favorite microphone ever.

(X2) Beyerdynamic M160, Absolutely incredible for the price.

(X2) Shure KSM27 As cheap as they are, I use them as room mics all of the time. They're very even sounding.

If you don't need something that gives you that big condenser vibe...I'd maybe consider substituting the Soundelux's for a pair of Crowley and Trip El Diablos. That would be my other favorite microphone in my stable.
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. Blue Bottle w/ capsule kit

2.. Schoeps stereo pair with omni and cardioid capsules

3. Royer 121 or 122 (pair)

.... speaking of deals you should look into Beyer MC930s SDC matched pair for about 1K - they sound excellent - sort of a km84 vibe - and they are an absolute steal for the price. Also have heard great things about the Pearlman TM-1 but have no personal experience with it.. but for the price... just buy it anyway! heh
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Some options

Quote:
Ribbon pair (or stereo mic)
x2 4038

Quote:
Large condenser pair (or stereo mic)
x2 Brauner VM1, or x2 AudioTechnica 4060 (why? they're not expensive and they sound good)

Quote:
Small condenser pair (or stereo mic)
x2 Schoeps with capsule combinations (MK4,2, or 5g which is card AND omni), or x2 Sennheiser MKH800

Endless options and combinations; my 2Β’

Peace
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Which mics would you buy in pairs? Budget cannot exceed 7k per mic, and the 3 pairs need to pretty much cover most recording sources. I already own alot of the workhorse mics such as sm57, 58, sm7b, 421's, d12, etc. Thanks for your help!
thats a big investment.Go rent some or go to a studio for a couple day and do some a/b's and listen first

I like/use these:
Coles 4038 ribbon
u67 ldc
km54/56 sdc
km84 "
u47 ldc [more than 7k]
Schoeps cmc [different caps]sdc
DPA 4011 sdc
87's ldc
C12 ldc [out of your 7k range]
C12a ldc
Royer 121/122/122v ribbons
RCA 44/77
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
You said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
Coles 4038 ribbon
u67 ldc
km54/56 sdc
km84 "
u47 ldc [more than 7k]
Schoeps cmc [different caps]sdc
DPA 4011 sdc
87's ldc
C12 ldc [out of your 7k range]
C12a ldc
Royer 121/122/122v ribbons
RCA 44/77
Pretty much nothing else to say. Great microphones.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
why not go a combination of modded, custom made and boutique? I'd go with 2 James, 2 Arabella's and maybe get to gefell um70/71's and have ben mod them?
πŸ“ Reply