Adam S2A + Adam Sub12 or Adam S3A? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam S2A + Adam Sub12 or Adam S3A?
Old 4th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Adam S2A + Adam Sub12 or Adam S3A?

Hello,

Just your personal opinion needed! Thank you!
What do you recommend?

Adam S2A + Adam Sub12
or
Adam S3A
or
something else?

Best Regards,
PS
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Klein & Hummel O300. Absolutely neutral sounding monitor with unbelievable low end and unhyped mids and highs.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm still in love with my S3As (hope my wife doesn't read this )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was considering these options - bought the S3a's but demoed the S2+sub setup.

The S2's do not give you that super midrange microscope thing that the 3's do. This is what I loved about adams so I'd always go with the 3's.

If you want a more conventional presentation than the 2's are excellent.

The sub adds to either monitor but does not turn the 2's into 3's.
3's do not really deliver below 80hz in a way that makes me happy. It's a bit of ported fluff.

If you need the sub freq's than you should consider it with either monitor.

I sold my S3a's for barefoots over a year ago and I'll admit to missing them a bunch as nothing shows mids/upper mids like S3a's.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edham ➑️
I sold my S3a's for barefoots over a year ago and I'll admit to missing them a bunch as nothing shows mids/upper mids like S3a's.
So were you happier with the s3as?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not happier - Just miss what the 3a's do well and would love to re-buy a set as a second reference.
now if I could just get my printer to output perfect $100 bills.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edham ➑️
3's do not really deliver below 80hz in a way that makes me happy. It's a bit of ported fluff.
It's a strange combination of fast bass (tight, less impressive) and as it gets near
the 35Hz then you get less and less focus and lot of air (and noise) from ports.

I think it is really a S3A, O300D you need to hear. Though S2A + 2xsub10 or 2xsub12 could be very interesting option.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have S3A + Genelec 7071A. That sub is big enough for almost anything short of a movie theatre. Actually I have been able to mute the ADAMs a few times by asking too much from them. It is difficult to judge how loud one is listening on that system as the sound is so _clean_. You realize the levels only when somebody is yelling at you from the doorway and you can not hear her...

And that lack of truly high levels is my only complaint so far...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After a couple of years with S3A's without a sub I realized I needed to know exactly what was going on between 30hz and 55hz. After trying a few subs I ended up with a Martin Logan consumer sub which adds that low octave and not much else.

I found placement and adjustments using SMAART Live & trial and error. Now I can EQ the sub lows with confidence!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got the Adam Sub12. I'm mixing/ producing a lot of different styles and was missing the lowest octave of my S2A's doing dance/ reggae. Should've done this a looong time ago. So much more fun to mix with the sub as an option!

Thomas Johansen Record Producer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a S2a Sub 10 system and very happy with how it sounds and how stuff I do here sounds on other systems. I can't imagine that you would need a Sub 12. Of course the sub 20 (?) their double 10" driver sub system would be fantastic since with that design the distortion is ultra low, but maybe an overkill for nearfield monitoring.

Not all agree, but I can't imagine not having a sub. So much music these days has a lot of stuff going on in the 40-80 area, that mixers spend a fair amount of time tayloring, and without a sub or a 3 way system, you just don't get. I've heard the S3's but not able to do any comparisons. Almost all the posts I've read here by others mention that the S3 just don't give all that low info, even though the 2nd 7.4" woofer is dedicated to the <150hz area. May be because of the design or just the size ot ehr woofer.

A S3 + sub setup is expensive, and there may be other better options at that price point.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is just the laws of physics at work; it is impossible to get decent monitoring levels with signals down to 20 Hz with nothing less than at least one 12" driver per side. So either get mid-big "do-it-all" monitors, or smaller ones and a sub. Often, and I would say always with smaller installations, having something like S3A:s and a fair sized sub gives better end result than two similarily prized largesh monitors which just can not quite reach down to 20 Hz.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus ➑️
It is just the laws of physics at work; it is impossible to get decent monitoring levels with signals down to 20 Hz with nothing less than at least one 12" driver per side. ...
If you do get 2 subs, try stacking them on top of each other and then figure out where your room modes are and place them carefully. If you separate subs you'll have nasty comb filtering in the lows mixed with room modes and it may be quite a mess.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
DB at ADAM showed me that you can make S2As sound more like S3As by laying them on their side. I would argue that the real answer is whatever works for the room. A larger control room would work for S3As but a smaller room would be happier with S2As + Sub12.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane ➑️
If you do get 2 subs, try stacking them on top of each other and then figure out where your room modes are and place them carefully. If you separate subs you'll have nasty comb filtering in the lows mixed with room modes and it may be quite a mess.
I was thinking about placing the subs very near the speakers... to make it more like (exploded) a 3way stereo... instead of 2.1 with woofer on the ground.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic ➑️
A larger control room would work for S3As but a smaller room would be happier with S2As + Sub12.
Why would that be?

I tested the S2As, the S2.5As and the S3As in my room (which is definitely small measuring 5.5x3.1m2) and the S3As where clearly the winners. I do not see why I would have been better of with the S2A's (which I did not like at all) plus sub...

Greetings,
Dirk
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus ➑️
You realize the levels only when somebody is yelling at you from the doorway and you can not hear her...

And that lack of truly high levels is my only complaint so far...

you can't hear your lady yelling at you from the doorway, and you're complaining about lack of levels?

heh

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
DB at ADAM showed me that you can make S2As sound more like S3As by laying them on their side. I would argue that the real answer is whatever works for the room. A larger control room would work for S3As but a smaller room would be happier with S2As + Sub12.
I tend to agree with that. I have S2As on their side (along with a Sub-12), which puts them just slightly below ear level, and they're very similar to the S3s as I remember them. Regardless, I think the 2A & Sub together make a great combination and I have total confidence mixing with them. If doing it again, I'd likely still buy the 2s with the sub.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB ➑️
Why would that be?

I tested the S2As, the S2.5As and the S3As in my room (which is definitely small measuring 5.5x3.1m2) and the S3As where clearly the winners. I do not see why I would have been better of with the S2A's (which I did not like at all) plus sub...
Whatever sounds best is always the correct answer. My understanding is that a small room works best with bass management, where a larger room can handle multiple full-range monitors. Of course if 5.1 is a twinkle in your eye then S2As with sub are the way to go. (Especially since a third S3A gets expensive!)
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My understanding is that a small room works best with bass management, where a larger room can handle multiple full-range monitors.

in my limited experience with 2a's, they had more bass than 3a's.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
in my limited experience with 2a's, they had more bass than 3a's.
Um, no. S2A is an S3A without the bass driver (second 7"). Maybe you're thinking of the S2.5A? Too hyped for my taste, but a nice choice for people looking to upgrade from Genelecs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Um, no. S2A is an S3A without the bass driver (second 7"). Maybe you're thinking of the S2.5A? Too hyped for my taste, but a nice choice for people looking to upgrade from Genelecs.
Agreed. The S2.5A's had more of the HR824 like blooming low-end. They certainly didn't sound bad, but the tight low-end of the S3A's is one of the plusses I really like.

Regards,
Dirk
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Imagine my surprise that after months of saving up $5500 for a pair of S3A's, I go to order, and find that the price has been significantly increased.

Imagine my further disappointment when no dealer (that I have contacted so far) will work with me to make it possible for me to afford these.

I doubt that this Adams business strategy will increase the sale of S3A's in the current economic environment.

Keith
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
S2A is an S3A without the bass driver (second 7"). Maybe you're thinking of the S2.5A? .

crap, you're exactly right, i was thinking of the 2.5a, which always sounded incredibly scooped to my ears.

i've never actually used the 2a's, so i retract my comments and apologize for the mistake.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think prices went up because of the Euro/Dollar relationship.
πŸ“ Reply