The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders ➡️
Attached are the Banks 3, 12, a 'corrected' version of the 'Brick Wall' and some programs from the Classic Card manual I typed in and edited a bit, they will not sound right because the relab does not (yet?) have the CC algorithms, but they make good use of the ER delays - and still sound great to me.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➡️
DN-780 "Alive" algorithm is another I consider much nicer than Non-Lin on the AMS if you wanted that kind of sound.
Couldn't agree more. I had a DN-780 in my racks back in those days. I used to cart around 2 16U ATA racks and a 192pt. TTL patchbay from studio to studio. Had Mogami snakes with DL's that coiled up in the lids.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can I ask the Lexicon guys...

Is the PCM bundle Plug In a direct porting of code? Or a re-write/dumb down? or perhaps an impulse response?

Stefan.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Is the PCM bundle Plug In a direct porting of code? Or a re-write/dumb down? or perhaps an impulse response?

Stefan.
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak ➡️

Stefan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes ➡️
I wrote the code for both, so I don't need to interpret anything. The computer is more than capable of running that code without compromise. Found a few minor bugs in the PCM96 code which I've fixed here. But I intend to take those fixes back to the 96 when I can. I left the input panners out of these algs because it's easier to do it in the DAW. That's the only difference.

But I fully expect non-double-blind tests to 'prove' the 96 is better because it's hardware .
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks!
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak ➡️
Thanks!
I probably should point out that the post you've quoted is very old. I haven't been at Lexicon for more than two years. While it was my intent to take those bug fixes back to the hardware boxes, Harman may have different plans for what they're going to do.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got a 224x a few months back and it is just the most beautiful reverb.

Btw for those asking, beamish electronics in Ohio still service all the old lexicon stuff. Had my 224x serviced there and they did a hell of a job.

I'm still not done exploring this thing. I have several other "high end" and "vintage" reverb units but this one has the most character. Before I got a manual I had no clue what was what and was totally flying blind just pressing buttons. but everything I put it on just sounded good. After I got a manual after a few months it turned out the old concert hall was my favorite for a big lush "real estate consuming" sound.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got a 224x a few months back and it is just the most beautiful reverb.

Btw for those asking, beamish electronics in Ohio still service all the old lexicon stuff. Had my 224x serviced there and they did a hell of a job.

I'm still not done exploring this thing. I have several other "high end" and "vintage" reverb units but this one has the most character. Before I got a manual I had no clue what was what and was totally flying blind just pressing buttons. but everything I put it on just sounded good. After I got a manual after a few months it turned out the old concert hall was my favorite for a big lush "real estate consuming" sound.
Old 13th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On a budget it sounds like the PCM91 is the best way to get that Lexicon sound (specifically Random Hall) in hardware form correct?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➡️
On a budget it sounds like the PCM91 is the best way to get that Lexicon sound (specifically Random Hall) in hardware form correct?
I'm no lex expert, but that sounds like your best bet. I love mine.

Unfortunately after owning it for the last four years, it stopped powering up a couple months ago. Going to take a look at it soon...hoping its something easy to fix.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine18 ➡️
I'm no lex expert, but that sounds like your best bet. I love mine.

Unfortunately after owning it for the last four years, it stopped powering up a couple months ago. Going to take a look at it soon...hoping its something easy to fix.
The power on my PCM**** gets a little finicky at times.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Both our PCM80 and 90 stopped powering on. We ended up throwing one of them away because replacement parts were unavailable. The other sits in a rack somewhere in storage. Power issues aren't uncommon, so, although it might be the cheapest option, maybe a used PCM isn't the best path.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's kind of sad to see these 80 and 90's dying out. They're such amazing and deep boxes- especially the 80. I still have one each still hanging in thankfully... so far.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
True, very sad, though I have not encountered issues yet.

I feel a lot of 90s gear falls into this (expanding?) dark age category where stuff is too integrated/proprietary to repair without official support.

I've fully functional through-hole gear that's older than I am, with drawers full of replacement parts. But the shelf is full of later Ensoniqs and TCs that have sung their last and I fear they beckon to the Lexis.
Old 30th March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtuner ➡️
In the next 10 years, what areas in effects processing do you think will see the most innovation? Will we see big advances in algorithms/new algorithms or is effort mostly concentrated on DAW integration?

Quote:
Can I answer that question in 10 years? If I was that good at predicting things, my 401K would still be worth something
This is one of the all time great GS threads, IMO. For me it’s a humbling trip to read back through Sean picking Michael and Casey’s brains and learning some of the answers to the questions that he in turn answers down the road in the Valhalla discussions a few years later.

So Michael, what do you think the biggest advancements of the last 10 years have been?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️
So Michael, what do you think the biggest advancements of the last 10 years have been?

Quote:

Can I answer that question in 10 years?

AARRRRGGGHHHH

I HAVE HAD THIS BOOKMARKED FOR YEARS SO I COULD ASK HIM THIS ON APRIL 4TH AND YOU HAD TO BLOW YOUR LOAD EARLY.

I'm not even joking. I've had this saved at the top of my bookmarks and even thought about posting this a few days ago but decided against it because if I waited this long, then shooting early like a high schooler would have just ruined the whole thing.

Anyway, I'll still ask Michael on April 4th since I've had this saved for years, so Michael, kindly refrain from answering so this can be done the right way on April 4th and actually answered 10 years to the day.
Lives for gear

(responding for subscribe)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I ended up selling my PCM models
And bought 480L & 224XL
So good !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary-3195f05c-43de-4c03-990b-8e02ace83738.jpg   Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary-7c0973a0-f183-4932-9342-27eab5f1a2db.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➡️
I ended up selling my PCM models
And bought 480L & 224XL
So good !!!!!
I’m with you I have 480L,2 bricasti,eventide H8k and Orville all with remotes and located in machine room. Also 2 moog delays ,and also 2 moog ladders

Have a fultone tte I need to fix and get up and running again I just like hardware
Old 31st March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin ➡️
I just like hardware
100% with you there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
Anyway, I'll still ask Michael on April 4th since I've had this saved for years, so Michael, kindly refrain from answering so this can be done the right way on April 4th and actually answered 10 years to the day.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Last edited by raal; 1st April 2019 at 06:11 PM..
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lol phil ramone and i were joking about it..i mentioned spin and wander and before i could say i never got to those pages he goes.."if i can't hit 1 or 2 buttons on page one and get what i want i go to another piece of gear
Old 4th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtuner ➡️
In the next 10 years, what areas in effects processing do you think will see the most innovation? Will we see big advances in algorithms/new algorithms or is effort mostly concentrated on DAW integration? (I hope not). I think the latest realtime hardware effect to be invented is the Access Music atomizer on the Virus TI.

Quote:
Can I answer that question in 10 years? If I was that good at predicting things, my 401K would still be worth something.
Hey Michael - You posted this on April 4th, 2009. Today is April 4th 2019, making it EXACTLY 10 years TO THE DAY of this post! Where do you think the most innovation has been done in effects processing? Do you think algorithmic reverbs have become kind of stale? Have there been advances in it or is it all just variations on a theme?

Also congrats on the sale of exponential to izotope. I'm sure 10 years ago when you posted this you never would have imagined that you would have left Lexicon, created your own plug in company. Released a number of high quality plugs, and then had the company bought by izotope! A lot can happen in 10 years.
Old 4th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's quite a set of questions! I'll have to respond in a fairly brief way (as you can imagine, things are busy right now), but perhaps we can keep the line open for a while
Quote:
Hey Michael - You posted this on April 4th, 2009. Today is April 4th 2019, making it EXACTLY 10 years TO THE DAY of this post! Where do you think the most innovation has been done in effects processing
An awful lot has happened and I don't think there's any single winner. But I think there have been enormous advances in restoration software. I've used RX for quite a while (that part should be obvious). I've cleaned up modern recordings (took a passing group of Harleys out of a string quartet once) and given new life to recordings that are 40 years old. Tools of this nature have become indispensable. There are also great new mastering tools. Our knowledge of what loudness really is has grown a lot. And all the sorts of digital distribution have really forced us to cope with this. Tools have gotten good and they'll get a lot better.

And there are plugins that emulate just about every vintage piece of hardware that ever was. As the boxes die, people who want those sounds will have affordable alternatives.
Quote:
Do you think algorithmic reverbs have become kind of stale? Have there been advances in it or is it all just variations on a theme?
If ever there was a leading question, that's one. I can't really speak about verbs other than Exponential's. I've only been interested in making mine do what I think they should, and I've never done any sort of competitive research. But from my point of view, a lot has happened and a lot more will happen in the next ten years. Ten years ago, did you envision an in-the-box reverb that could do immersive audio--going as high as 22.2? Did you imagine that you could run multiple copies in one computer? Did you image that you could do all of that at high sample rates? You can now: better, and for a lot less money than a hardware alternative just a few years back.

There are probably two basic threads going along in algorithmic reverb development. There are quite a few (generally convolvers) that work to emulate a specific physical space--based entirely on provable physics. Many of those work very well, but it's not an area of much interest to me. In my world, I'm driven by what you actually hear. That's not the same thing as what happened in the room. Your brain throws away most of the information that comes into your ears--a super computer couldn't deal with all that data in real time. There's an amazing sort of data reduction that goes on, and I'm not aware that we have much understanding of what's happening neurologically. At any rate, one of the things that's left over is the phenomenon we call reverberation. A lot of what algorithmic reverbs do is based on that.

Then finally, I (and others) have done a lot of work to make algorithmic reverbs into more flexible tools. And there's still room for improvement. So no, the field is not at all stale.
Quote:
Also congrats on the sale of exponential to izotope. I'm sure 10 years ago when you posted this you never would have imagined that you would have left Lexicon, created your own plug in company. Released a number of high quality plugs, and then had the company bought by izotope! A lot can happen in 10 years.
Yeah, that's the part I didn't see coming. I don't think I'll be moving into the field of fortune-telling.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can you talk a little about what’s in store in restoration software?
Old 5th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz ➡️
Can you talk a little about what’s in store in restoration software?
Not from any position of actual knowledge. I suspect that software will have better ways to determine what you want and what you don't We might have better ways to clean up distorted signals and perhaps we might be able to tell an alto sax from a tenor. Who knows?

I don't think we'll quite be able to move the mic to where it should have been in the first place or undo overdone pitch correction. But one skill builds on another and I do think we're just getting started.
Here for the gear

Can someone clarify please?

Hey all - I sure hope you can help (and that this is the correct place to post)... I just recently was handed a Lex 224x that was in storage for 20 (+?) years. One heck of a gift for sure! Great condition, all things considered. No error messages on the blue remote and in good shape, all around. BUT! Output is all noise, with the exception of very faint reverb in the way background (I can make out tweaks to the programs even, but so much noise!)
Now - I dug in a bit (not an engineer, but know a little and have done exhaustive research on this piece) and found the hardware diagnostic led's. The ARUCK Error (on the T&C card) led is dark (a good thing) but there are two other led's that are lit. In the manual it states that there are two led's on the DMEM board (MS Generator error and Row Select error).
Here is where it gets weird and I am flummoxed: The two led's that ARE lit are actually on the OPT/NVS card (top row of the stack), not the DMEM board - and as far as I can tell, the DMEM card HAS NO LED'S at all! The OPT card actually has 3 led's but they are labelled ER1, ER2 and ER3 (not MS Gen or Row Sel). Could these be battery indicators? I thought the cards might have been switched and replaced in the wrong shelf, but both clearly state what they are on the card, and they are where they should be.
Can anyone chime in on this? So many thanks for any and all help!
(I'm still getting my sea legs for using the site, so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place!)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm afraid I can't help you with that. There might be someone else on this thread who knows a bit. If you hunt around on the forum, you might find Jim Williams. I believe he's got some experience working on those older pieces. Good luck on putting it back to work!
📝 Reply