Quantcast
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 27th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there a place in Canada (Ontario) to hear or try out one of these? I'm holding one last empty slot in my lunchbox for a vox compressor.

So far I've tried API 525, 527 and Chandler Little Devil... The API 525 was my fave, but I want to hear the BAC500 before spending the cash.

Hmmmm....
Old 27th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz ➑️
Is there a place in Canada (Ontario) to hear or try out one of these? I'm holding one last empty slot in my lunchbox for a vox compressor.

So far I've tried API 525, 527 and Chandler Little Devil... The API 525 was my fave, but I want to hear the BAC500 before spending the cash.

Hmmmm....
Hi Timtoonz,

The only dealer we have in Canada is Studio Economic.
They do a great job and very good customer service.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you for your consideration,

Lisa
Old 28th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➑️
Hi Timtoonz,

The only dealer we have in Canada is Studio Economic.
They do a great job and very good customer service.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you for your consideration,

Lisa
Studio Economic seem good, but it's a shame there are no dealers outside of Quebec (Montreal's about a 5 hour drive from Toronto). You should consider giving some distribution to Long & McQuade Music -- at least for business outside of Quebec.

That said, I think maybe Studio Economic does a "free shipping/tryout" program. But it's still more hassle than just walking in to a local store to try the gear out (which is what I was able to do with all the other contenders).

I think you should just send every Canadian Gearslut a "free trial" BAC-500 automatically! I bet you'd sell a boatload (eh!)... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Those of you having both the BAC and a 1176, how do they compare? Thinking about a general tracking (and secondly mixing) comp for VOX, Guitar & Bass DI, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also have the same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➑️
Those of you having both the BAC and a 1176, how do they compare? Thinking about a general tracking (and secondly mixing) comp for VOX, Guitar & Bass DI, etc.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
good question...could this little unit be compared to this monster(1176)or to LA2A,LA3A or Summit TLA-100?
just wondering..........??????
Old 30th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Studio Economic seem good, but it's a shame there are no dealers outside of Quebec (Montreal's about a 5 hour drive from Toronto). You should consider giving some distribution to Long & McQuade Music -- at least for business outside of Quebec.

That said, I think maybe Studio Economic does a "free shipping/tryout" program. But it's still more hassle than just walking in to a local store to try the gear out (which is what I was able to do with all the other contenders).

I think you should just send every Canadian Gearslut a "free trial" BAC-500 automatically! I bet you'd sell a boatload (eh!)... heh

I feel your pain, I am also from T.O.. The Studio Economik guys are great and very helpful. And yes they do offer a try before you buy that actually works out perfect. If you decide to buy, you basically hold on to the loaner unit until your new unit shows up in the mail. No down time, AWESOME!!!

On another note, the only thing that held me back from grabbing a pair of BAC's is the fact that they are not linkable and no stepped controls. Most of the users here seem to not care for stepped controls but, for me recalling sessions is daily, and its no fun at all without steps. Actually recalling sucks both ways but, its handy to have steps. In fact I wont buy a piece of gear without these options, just cant afford to play with knobs when labels/artists are calling for a .5db change on a backup vocal needed ASAP on a mix done two weeks ago. Also, I understand that the BAC 500 was intended for mono sources, but why not have a user friendly stereo option like most others? I ALWAYS mix with stereo stems, and not having these options takes the FUN out of it for users like myself. If these options were to be available i wouldn't think twice about buying a pair with all the positive reviews I've read. The BAC for me is like being told you cant have cake on your Birthday. :(

Cheers
Old 30th March 2010 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
with out adding a load to the cost, stepped potentiometers would only detract from the quality, functionality, and usefulness of the BAC.
i am not sure i would even what stepped switches on the BAC, i just do not feel it would bring anything to the table.
just my humble view.
Old 31st March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
and my final questions guys..
if someone(me maybe)has for his home studio a 10u rack ferniture,does it worth buying the 2 slot 500hr(or even an api 6b) and a bac-500(or 2),for warm thick fat coloured vocals and acoustic guitars?
Does this unit sounds so uniq or this is one of the best choices for lunchboxes owners?
Any comparison to the FMR PBC-6A(thick mode),Summit TLA-50(TUBE LEVELER-which i could combo with my 2ba-221 preamp) or to the cheap ART VLA PRO II 2 channel,units who are in my price level?
I AM REALLY CONFUSED.........
.......very difficult here in Greece to hear and to test the unit.
JUST CONVINCE ME AND I WILL GO FOR IT
thanks again
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
with out adding a load to the cost, stepped potentiometers would only detract from the quality, functionality, and usefulness of the BAC.
i am not sure i would even what stepped switches on the BAC, i just do not feel it would bring anything to the table.
just my humble view.

I agree with this... Although it would be great to be able to do stereo stuff with a bit more ease with the bac, In my opinion part of the beauty of the compressor is how it reacts physically to turning the knobs. You can adjust it very easily to get the sound you want.... It just wouldnt be the same with stepped potentiometers...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I do not mind paying extra coin for the stepped pots. There are pots with pretty high step counts so finding your sweet spot shouldn't be too hard. Besides, time is money, i'll get it back. Having the option only makes sense to me. When I use to record, I enjoyed fully variable controls, its a one time thing, no recalls. But again for mixing and recalling its the pits! As far as the stereo link, its a no brainer to have it, intended for mono or not. Remember slutz, a few of our favorite stuff in our studios are used in a way they were Not intended for. And please remember I use the word "option".

Pots,lol.

Peace
Old 1st April 2010 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
not me.
it is a dysfunctional addition from my perspective and a waist of money.
put that money into that honking hugh tranny or a sweet freaking all discreet op-amp.
oh wait
they did that with the BAC!
no wonder this thing freakin rocks my socks!!!!
thats just for you Catherine Zeta Jones
Old 1st April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I agree with Pan... Unless you've really used a BAC and have turned those knobs while tweaking sounds, there's no way to realize how the finest move can make a difference. Stepped pots on this thing would seriously limit it's functionality.
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks

Hey, Guys... Thanx!
Old 29th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➑️

Hey- I got BAC500 and Purple MC77 which is supposedly similar to original 1176.

On snare the MC77 and BAC500 both able to squash and fatten that classic fet squash- the MC77 TME retains a more snappy front envelope and is a little brighter, whereas TME the BAC is softer on the front edge envelope. On snare I prefer the MC77.

On vocals the BAC 500 to my ear is a little darker/softer, more a vintage sound, and seems to have a little more thickness down low. Really good for that vintage thick smoky feel- while still being quite hi fi.

The MC77 on vocals has a more mid sheen, and really pulls up those "gritty" lower db notes on big passages. To my ear the MC77 is more open and will really make vocals punch through the mix-but is still very smooth on big DB reductions.

Love both on vocals-two very nice paints for sure.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hmmmm....
True,I cannot see anything taking the place of a 525 on vocals, hands down the 525 is DOPE !!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This isn't rocket science folks...
If anyone wants to try out a BAC 500, contact me.
I'd be more than happy to help you.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
True,I cannot see anything taking the place of a 525 on vocals, hands down the 525 is DOPE !!
Tape loop stuck?
Old 23rd May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
TG-1 compared with BAC 500

I really what to buy an pair BAC500. I love my TG1 on Drum and hard colouring of most things is the 500 anything like that?

Andy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayedout ➑️
I really what to buy an pair BAC500. I love my TG1 on Drum and hard colouring of most things is the 500 anything like that?

Andy
Nothing like it at all. It has more of an 1176 type of vibe.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
but you can drive it hard on drums and it has a distortion switch. so is it not fatter and more dirtier than an 1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
Nothing like it at all. It has more of an 1176 type of vibe.
Old 24th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond ➑️
Tape loop stuck?
lol good one, naw its called holding on to my funds for a while.
Old 25th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayedout ➑️
but you can drive it hard on drums and it has a distortion switch. so is it not fatter and more dirtier than an 1176
Nope just different. There are a lot of tricks you can do on 1176's including a couple of distortion modes by playing with the buttons. 1176's were a big part of that famed "New York" drum sound that has been so sought after over the years. You pretty much run an 1176 on every close mic, and on the OH's, and on the room. So no, I would not consider the BAC-500 a fatter, dirtier compressor than an 1176 because an 1176 can do those things amazingly well. What I would say about the BAC-500 is that it sounds great, has a great grab like an 1176 but with it's own thing going on, and it runs in the 500 series format. What's there to complain about?

Old 3rd June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudge ➑️
I got one, too. It's totally kickin' on bass and vocals. Its fat and has some midrange bite, but never too much. The BAC is smoother on vocals than the Purple Action i tried.
It is definitely my go-to on bass. Great FET compressor!

I agree, Lisa and Peter are both very nice people, and a real pleasure to deal with.

Can anyone tell me what attack/release/ratio settings some of you are using for bass and vocals with this unit? I'd like to experiment with what some other people are using and then customize it to my voice/5 string bass.

I am getting my BAC 500 in a couple of hours and I'll be playing with it this afternoon!!
Old 4th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound ➑️
Can anyone tell me what attack/release/ratio settings some of you are using for bass and vocals with this unit? I'd like to experiment with what some other people are using and then customize it to my voice/5 string bass.

I am getting my BAC 500 in a couple of hours and I'll be playing with it this afternoon!!
It really depends upon how much signal you're driving into the BAC and what you want it to sound like on the other side.
Old 4th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thing is crazy for bass and acoustic guitar.
Just fantastic!
Old 22nd June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Where do I have to go to buy this? Anyway I can try it before I buy it?
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re: Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Myers
Where do I have to go to buy this? Anyway I can try it before I buy it?

You can send it to me directly.
The info is on the website or in my signature.
Old 21st August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My ONLY concern lies in the gain staging of my current situation. Seeing as how you have to drive the input to affect the threshold, I find that I'm outputting an overly hot signal that affects the rest of my signal flow. This may not be a byproduct of the compressor but it is something I would like some help figuring out...

For Example:

I am feeding my kick drum to the input of an SSL console from Pro Tools. I adjust the output of Pro Tools so that I am hitting the DA at a reasonable level which I can see not only by looking at the 192 but also by looking at the meter (PPM) on the line input of the channel. All is good in the world of gain staging so far...

Now I feed my BAC as an insert on the channel without any channel processing. I adjust the input of the BAC so that I am hitting the sweet spot which in this case is the 5th LED (1st orange one). My ratio is set to 4 and my attack is around 10 o'clock which is just slow enough to give me some transients. Now, in order for me NOT to overload the channel on the board (which has an indicator light that detects almost all stages of the channel), I have to adjust the output pot to barely above zero.

This is not a gripe about the compressor as I love everything it does sonically, but am looking for a better understanding of how to work with this.

I COULD feed the output of the compressor with a healthy output volume to another track and attenuate the line input, but I am working with a 40 track console so real estate is at a premium.

I could also pad the output, but I would want to do that BEFORE the output knob not after. Reason being is that if I am boosting level into a pad I could be boosting an overloaded signal. If the pad attenuates the signal before it gets to the output pot I will be boosting a clean signal.

I don't mind a bit of channel distortion in this situation because it is desired, but in the future I would love to know how to better gain stage this signal so that I am overload free across the path.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 21st August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How hot is your input into the BAC?

A lot of people when they first get the BAC 500, tend to overdrive the unit. If you start with the input and output at 9 o'clock, and you have an average level between -20 and -10 dB, you should be able to get good gain staging without overdriving anything.
πŸ“ Reply