Quantcast
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 19th July 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
when i first got it, i thought it might be something of a one trick pony, it did not take long to relies, it works on whatever i hit it with: )~
and i love the build to boot!
Old 25th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
I feel like there are a fair amount of products including the BAC-500 that are not trying to just recreate "vintage" gear but take new gear to a new place. Brad's sidechain settings ALONE make the BAC-500 a stand out product. It's FET but doesn't sound like an 1176 clone either.

The clone thing is cool to a point, but it's the non-clone stuff that makes me smile and I think the industry is maybe moving back to innovation rather than copying the past.

War
Hi, Warren,

I don't want to seem to overly anxious...but...I've been watching for files! Do you have anything you can share yet?
Old 6th August 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Lisa, sorry for my delayed response as I've been a bit behind lately.

I will have files to share soon, I'm behind on everything right now (including finishing cabling up my patchbay in the new room...so that everything isn't a chore!).

War
Old 6th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know everyones been raving about the bac on drums. I justed used it this way for the first time. Kick and Snare.. Amazing!
Old 12th August 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 ➑️
I know everyones been raving about the bac on drums. I justed used it this way for the first time. Kick and Snare.. Amazing!
It's also nice not having to question the control it exhibits...in other words not only does it sound great but it actually WILL HOLD things in place (you can spank stuff).

War
Old 13th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 ➑️
Same here.... put it on snare for the first time the other day and - shazaam.... perfect! Tried substituting some other comps and the BAC just sounded better - put the snare exactly where it needed to sit in the track. Just the right balance of vibe, presence, color, warmth, and glue.
Old 23rd August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I cant wait for my BAC500 from Bo Medin at Golden Age in Sweden. 5 weeks ago I had not one 500 series module, not even a rack, now I have....ahem...gloat gloat gloat
BAE 11 slotter rack
Great River MP500NV
API 550b EQ
Shadow Hills opto comp
Shadow Hills Mono gama
Purple audio Odd EQ
Pico compressor
LaChapell Pre+EQ
and finnally my last slot.........where's me BAC500 I am waiting on?????
It seems the less the slots there were to fill the more I wanted to er, em, fill them.
Old 23rd August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrencrawler ➑️
I cant wait for my BAC500 from Bo Medin at Golden Age in Sweden. 5 weeks ago I had not one 500 series module, not even a rack, now I have....ahem...gloat gloat gloat
BAE 11 slotter rack
Great River MP500NV
API 550b EQ
Shadow Hills opto comp
Shadow Hills Mono gama
Purple audio Odd EQ
Pico compressor
LaChapell Pre+EQ
and finnally my last slot.........where's me BAC500 I am waiting on?????
It seems the less the slots there were to fill the more I wanted to er, em, fill them.
Hey, quick question. What do you think of the Shadow Hills OptoGraph? I am actually very interested in that compressor and I cant seem to find much on it as far as user input and uses. I would appreciate your input on it...thanks
Old 12th September 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax ➑️
Same here.... put it on snare for the first time the other day and - shazaam.... perfect! Tried substituting some other comps and the BAC just sounded better - put the snare exactly where it needed to sit in the track. Just the right balance of vibe, presence, color, warmth, and glue.
getting ready to track some snare, the BAC will be all over it: )~
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Acoustic Guitars and Vox??

when i first got it, i thought it might be something of a one trick pony, it did not take long to relies, it works on whatever i hit it with: )~
and i love the build to boot!

-------------------------------------------------

I would love to hear just one more comprehensive shout out for the BAC 500 on high-end acoustic guitars, and male vocals. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on GS from folks who have succeeded in steering me away from Purple Actions and such, and I just blew out two Avalon 737's so I could add a 500 series compressor into my lunchbox and have the ideal chain. I still have a UA 6176 for it's lovely 1176 companion that sounds so sweet!

Here's what I am proposing, and would like input and/or validation.

Olson guitar > pair of KM-84's > pair of API 512c's > pair of BAC 500's > Apogee D/A

Vox > Gefell UM900 > API 512c > BAC 500 > Apogee D/A

Do the BAC 500's deserve all the love?? Whatever I get in feedback, I'll let you know when I have laid down tracks for my latest album.

Peace!
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You can take a look at what we did at James' place this weekend with the BAC-500s and the MK VIII.

Gearslutz / Pete's Place / Vocal Asylum Party. Saturday Sept 12th 7pm.

Lisa
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
I found myself hitting things hard with it to bring out some harmonics and it killed, esp. on bass. It sounds pretty darn good when it's working hard...

...with the BAC I feel like I have much more control over how the attack and release affect the sound...
Just got mine the other day and had very little time to play with it.

I called up an old session that has a flat-lined synth bass part.

All I can say is, the thing is amazing!

Not only did it pick the bass up, but when I looked at the waveform I noticed some very distinct peaks and valleys in the waveform. Remember the original part was flat.

No wonder it sounded so much better. And then I played with the distortion button. Nasty bass bliss.

I'm very looking forward to trying this out on everything, and judging by the post here, it will be a very enjoyable experience.

So much sound out of such a little box.
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
amazing comp isn't it StoneinaPond: )~
slap it on some vocals: )~
i love this thing!
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
...slap it on some vocals....
That's next.

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
2-Buss?

Tony had mentioned something earlier in this thread about using a couple of these for 2-Buss duties. Just wondering how that went along. Anyone else using two BACs for the stereo buss?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used them a few times on 2bus with very good results! I got some good thickness and punch on a few rock mixes by just tickling the mix with them (couple db reduction). The sidechain filters are perfect for 2bus stuff. They work really well on smashing some drum room mics too. These things really don't sound bad on anything I've used them on.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmojo ➑️
Tony had mentioned something earlier in this thread about using a couple of these for 2-Buss duties. Just wondering how that went along. Anyone else using two BACs for the stereo buss?

Yeah- I have been doing this. Is rather fiddly- need to calibrate input/output on a mono source first- I often use the bass track as the calibration.

Also- I have found if material is peaky bass heavy on one side the bac500 is a little grabby so you can get some stereo image shift given the grabby nature of the compressor depending on material.

However, saying all that I still love the dimension/depth/velvet sheen and mid boost the comps give a mix- and I have found that high pass is your friend to dealing with bass heavy imaging shifting.

So- despite the issues- the benefit for me outweighs the cons and I still run mixes through a pair.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have used them successfully on the two buss... and yes, it would VERY cool to have that as a linked stereo compressor!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
nevermind I'll figure it out

Last edited by Reptil; 16th November 2009 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: =====
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm sure these guys live up to everything thats being said on this thread and other reviews as well, however I'm positive I will wait a bit on a used one making its way back to GS classifieds before I shell out 1K for a single 500 series compressor.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
I have used them successfully on the two buss... and yes, it would VERY cool to have that as a linked stereo compressor!
Is there anything in the works Tony? Right now they are unlink-able, right? Asagaai above mentioned having to calibrate input/output. Could you share the best way to do that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmojo ➑️
Is there anything in the works Tony? Right now they are unlink-able, right? Asagaai above mentioned having to calibrate input/output. Could you share the best way to do that?

Peter and I sat down and got them to within a 10th of a dB. So it is possible. And they worked REALLY well.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
Peter and I sat down and got them to within a 10th of a dB. So it is possible. And they worked REALLY well.

Yeah-I play bass solo in mono. Then using the meters on the Hedd and using the gain reduction led's on the L/R BAC500 I increase the input and output both sides until the gain reduction meters of the BAC500 are the same and the Hedd (or DAW) input meters are the same.

I tend to pan L/M/R a lot and have found that if there is heavy gain reduction of lowend panned one side and not the other there can be a vague imaging shift.

But- I loved the sound so much of the BAC500 on the mix (makes mix sound "polished" and "finished" which my other comps were not doing-ie 5043/soc1.1/sebatron nitrous) that I persevered- and what I do is run mix into an ADL600 with hp at 80, into BAC500 and I use the sidechain setting which causes the BAC500 to "ignore" low frequencies, then through other gear, and using these settings I do not find the non linked BAC500's to pose a significant problem with image shifting, and having the non linked gives a real depth.

Anyway, it is a PITA but from my end the workaround has been worth it.

If you wanna hear 3 tracks where BAC used on mix- do search of "Lisa Kinna" - open up her "official" site, are 3 myspace tracks where I used the BAC500 on mix- these are unmastered and the bass needs to be redone on 2 due to noise. But especially on the Au Wiedesen - the customer wanted a vintage second world war nightclub feel - and I think the BAC500 did a great job of giving a feel of a "vintage" second world war gig feel with drums/sax and lotsa grog.

Cheers

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi, guys...
Remember, these are mono and were not designed to be used on the two buss. And as Asagaai points out - the workaround is worth it.

Thank you Asagaai for pointing that out.

P.S. - Cool Tracks!
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The BAC 500 is clearly not designed as a stereo unit. Can you use it in that configuration... SURE. Is it preferable... NO.
I would rather use the A Designs Nail as my 2 buss compressor.
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just picked one up. I love it!!
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 15th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you guys really make me wanna get a bac 500.

i do have a tf pro p38 which i really like, but i wanted to get something like cl1b, but i think that one is a lil bit out of reach (cash wise) so when i found out about this bac 500 i may have found the perfect compressor for me.

i jjust would like to know, since everyone raves about how cool rockvocals sound with this compressor, but what about soft vocals, like rnb, ballads and so on??
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmusic ➑️
you guys really make me wanna get a bac 500.

i do have a tf pro p38 which i really like, but i wanted to get something like cl1b, but i think that one is a lil bit out of reach (cash wise) so when i found out about this bac 500 i may have found the perfect compressor for me.

i jjust would like to know, since everyone raves about how cool rockvocals sound with this compressor, but what about soft vocals, like rnb, ballads and so on??
It sounds good on pretty much everything..from crushed room mic's to snare smack to bass leveling to vocals,etc,etc.
it has its own nice color.
not overwhelming but adds a bit of weight and finished sheen to everything that passes through it
its a 500 series no brainer purchase
if you have a 500 series rack,this is a must have comp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
It sounds good on pretty much everything..from crushed room mic's to snare smack to bass leveling to vocals,etc,etc.
it has its own nice color.
not overwhelming but adds a bit of weight and finished sheen to everything that passes through it
its a 500 series no brainer purchase
if you have a 500 series rack,this is a must have comp
+1 - What he said!
πŸ“ Reply