Quantcast
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 3rd July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll be curious to know how they compare to your Daking compressors. Oh...and that 1176 clone I built.

Brad
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
I'll be curious to know how they compare to your Daking compressors. Oh...and that 1176 clone I built.

Brad
I'll let u know Brad! Can't wait to try the BAC... I am definitely a bonafied compression junky. I love well done compression.... not squashing stuff , but shaping and enhancing it! I'm still crazy about the Dakings too! And I must let you know that the 1176 clone you built has seen some serious usage... It's got that 1176 type mojo.. but not as gritty in a cool way... But man is it smooth! Like sweet honey butter! You did an amazing job on it Brad... And I gotta say, it is also one of the nicest looking units too... Kind of wish I had a matching unit for stereo! I'll try and post back here after I try the BAC.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax ➑️
You guys are killin' me here.... Now I got me a hankerin' for a couple BAC-500's...
Me too... and I already got one!

I wouldn't mind having six of 'em or something either!
Old 4th July 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll let u know Brad! Can't wait to try the BAC... I am definitely a bonafied compression junky. I love well done compression.... not squashing stuff , but shaping and enhancing it! I'm still crazy about the Dakings too! And I must let you know that the 1176 clone you built has seen some serious usage... It's got that 1176 type mojo.. but not as gritty in a cool way... But man is it smooth! Like sweet honey butter! You did an amazing job on it Brad... And I gotta say, it is also one of the nicest looking units too... Kind of wish I had a matching unit for stereo! I'll try and post back here after I try the BAC.
the sound and the build is awesome on the BAC, i love well built gear: )~

love it even more when it sound so greeeeat!
Old 5th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Finally got a chance to track some bass with the BAC tonight. All I can say is WOW. It sounds great. Elixir DI -> BAC -> DAW. Sounds finished. Fits beautifully in the mix. I have not tried it yet on anything it didn't sound great on. This is a great tool!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➑️
I stopped by to say hi the other day, but I couldn't find you guys... it was just some guy named Billybob... or something

Billybob has been with us a couple years now. We have just gotten him off the smoke signals and is beginning to use the telephone! Good help is hard to find these days.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Brad
Brad, in comparing to the Daking, you might be surprised...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero ➑️
Finally got a chance to track some bass with the BAC tonight. All I can say is WOW. It sounds great. Elixir DI -> BAC -> DAW. Sounds finished. Fits beautifully in the mix. I have not tried it yet on anything it didn't sound great on. This is a great tool!
Thanks, Guitar Zero!
I'm glad you like it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➑️
Thanks, Guitar Zero!
I'm glad you like it!
I don't like it.... I love it.
Old 6th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➑️
Billybob has been with us a couple years now. We have just gotten him off the smoke signals and is beginning to use the telephone! Good help is hard to find these days.
ha!

Hey wasn't someone going to put another review in here in "next day or so"? War?
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any chance of some samples of this compressor? It would be nice to hear it in comparison to the Daking and some other fet compressors.

I remember checking out some samples of the Em-Peq that really sold me on it. I ended up with two - and love them.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
Any chance of some samples of this compressor? It would be nice to hear it in comparison to the Daking and some other fet compressors.

I remember checking out some samples of the Em-Peq that really sold me on it. I ended up with two - and love them.
this is a comp you really need to put your hands on ( IMHV ) simply because of it versatility, and vibe capabilities..
Old 7th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
OK... got the two BAC-500's in today... first of all, I haven't had a chance to really dig into these yet... but I concur with what folks are saying here - Brad Avenson is a genius... what a beautiful little compressor! I am SO glad I bit the bullet and got a pair.... otherwise I'd be pulling my wallet back out immediately for a second one!

Thanks Warren for getting them here pronto! A true pro - You're a pleasure to deal with...

To Lisa and the Pete's Place Crew - bravo - this thing rocks!

I will not have time to put this thing through it's paces for a couple weeks... I'll be out of the studio for the next three weeks.... and my comments are just based on a little bit of tinkering around and comparing with other compressors tonight....

Brad McGowan - you asked how it compares to the Daking and to the custom built 1176 I have that you built... well - the BAC compares very much to the Daking in one way - they are both very very flexible...... I can see myself using this on SO many things. Tonight I messed around with Vocals, Bass, and Sax.... to my ear - the BAC is a little more colored than the Daking but clear and full of detail like the Daking.... it is also a very UPFRONT sound which I love. It seems thicker sounding to me than the Daking and a little less transparent soundwise. It has this thick gooey cool sound to it - but doesn't get too gritty unless you set it up that way. Most 1176 tye comps havea typical grit to them for me... but this thing seems to have the ability to be clear or gritty depending on the settings. It definitely has its own vibe and mojo - I dialed in a killer vocal sound without even trying and it sat perfectly in the mix. I cannot wait to mix with this thing! In comparison to the custom 1176 you built (which is smoother and less colored than most 1176's) - the BAC is thicker, fuller and more upfront sounding. Oh - and the distortion button makes it even more versatile... a very very cool feature!

I was messing with a vocal tonight... and the vocal had an Inward Connections TSL3 Vac-Rac on it, which is a magical freakin box that I love.... for grins - I substituted the BAC and dialed in a very cool vocal sound. Well, it's a different sound - but it KILLS on this song! It certainly holds it's own against the big boys.... I am not comparing it in any way to the TSL3 except for to say that it certainly stood up against it. I'd be happy to use either of these comps on the vocal of this particular mix. That's saying a lot....

So far, I feel like the BAC will be amongst the most used compressors in my studio alongside my beloved Dakings, and the TSL3. WHat I love about these is that they each have their own thing happening - and all sound fantastic! The BAC is impressing me bigtime after one evening... I can't wait to put this pair to use!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, man! That was a really great initial review that gives me a good idea where these things sit sonically. I'm really intrigued now. BlueRoom brought over his unit a couple months ago, but we only had a few minutes to try it out. The vocal track we were recording called for more transparent compression so everyone in the control room agreed the Daking was a better fit. But I definitely got the sense the BAC has some serious "goo" to it. I'd love to be able to spend more time with it at some point in the future and really hear what it can do on a variety of sources.

I look forward to your follow-up report.

thanks,
Brad
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I have very much enjoyed dealing with you also, and I'm glad you're hearing what I knew you would hear...!

Have you tried it on vocals with that #3 sidechain position...?

And yes, Brad is the man.....

War
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➑️
Hey wasn't someone going to put another review in here in "next day or so"? War?
I am working on a mini-review for my site, will notify you when it's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
Any chance of some samples of this compressor?
Actually, if you want to send me some files to process I'd be more than happy to do this.

I am smack dab in the middle of a complete overhaul / replacement of my studio setup. I am finishing install and tweaking of my SSL MADI system and Rain Recording PC, both new systems for me. Once that is done, I can be quicker on the draw with test examples.

Were those my clips of the EM-PEQ by the way?

War
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
OK... got the two BAC-500's in today... first of all, I haven't had a chance to really dig into these yet... but I concur with what folks are saying here - Brad Avenson is a genius... what a beautiful little compressor! I am SO glad I bit the bullet and got a pair.... otherwise I'd be pulling my wallet back out immediately for a second one!

Thanks Warren for getting them here pronto! A true pro - You're a pleasure to deal with...

To Lisa and the Pete's Place Crew - bravo - this thing rocks!

I will not have time to put this thing through it's paces for a couple weeks... I'll be out of the studio for the next three weeks.... and my comments are just based on a little bit of tinkering around and comparing with other compressors tonight....

Brad McGowan - you asked how it compares to the Daking and to the custom built 1176 I have that you built... well - the BAC compares very much to the Daking in one way - they are both very very flexible...... I can see myself using this on SO many things. Tonight I messed around with Vocals, Bass, and Sax.... to my ear - the BAC is a little more colored than the Daking but clear and full of detail like the Daking.... it is also a very UPFRONT sound which I love. It seems thicker sounding to me than the Daking and a little less transparent soundwise. It has this thick gooey cool sound to it - but doesn't get too gritty unless you set it up that way. Most 1176 tye comps havea typical grit to them for me... but this thing seems to have the ability to be clear or gritty depending on the settings. It definitely has its own vibe and mojo - I dialed in a killer vocal sound without even trying and it sat perfectly in the mix. I cannot wait to mix with this thing! In comparison to the custom 1176 you built (which is smoother and less colored than most 1176's) - the BAC is thicker, fuller and more upfront sounding. Oh - and the distortion button makes it even more versatile... a very very cool feature!

I was messing with a vocal tonight... and the vocal had an Inward Connections TSL3 Vac-Rac on it, which is a magical freakin box that I love.... for grins - I substituted the BAC and dialed in a very cool vocal sound. Well, it's a different sound - but it KILLS on this song! It certainly holds it's own against the big boys.... I am not comparing it in any way to the TSL3 except for to say that it certainly stood up against it. I'd be happy to use either of these comps on the vocal of this particular mix. That's saying a lot....

So far, I feel like the BAC will be amongst the most used compressors in my studio alongside my beloved Dakings, and the TSL3. WHat I love about these is that they each have their own thing happening - and all sound fantastic! The BAC is impressing me bigtime after one evening... I can't wait to put this pair to use!
Thanks for the nice review. I've seriously considered a Daking comp, and now I'm really interested. Like the BAC only less colored. Sounds useful.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't want to derail this thread and take any attention away from the INCREDIBLE Bac-500.... it's just that playing around with this incredible new compressor last night really brought this thought to the forefront of my mind...

We are living in such an exciting era for cool new audio tools.... I am definitely a compression nut and have recently added a bunch to my arsenal.... The BAC-500, the TSL-3, Buzz Essence, Buzz Potion, and of course - my several Daking FET Comps which I've had for a while.... and a few others....

While most folks are looking to the past for quality (and there's plenty to be had in the past) - I am looking forward to the future with these companies that are providing us with the best of the past combined with the best of today.... These are such great unique sounding pieces that are helping me keep a unique sonic signature on my material. There is nothing cookie cutter about them and I love that! It's like you're getting the quality sound of a great classic but with a new fresh sonic signature. The classics are cool - 1176's are cool, as are La2a's, as are Neve, as is API, etc... but.... bravo to Pete's Place, A Designs, Buzz Audio, Daking, Wunder, Atlas Pro (Juggernaut), BLUE and the countless other companies who are bringing something new to the table...... you should be commended for thinking out of the box and doing your own thing... that, after all, is where most of the "classics" came from in the first place - from originality - not from cloning something that already exists....

And thanks again for the little BAC - which is what really brought this whole rant to the front of my mind!
Old 8th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks, man! That was a really great initial review that gives me a good idea where these things sit sonically. I'm really intrigued now. BlueRoom brought over his unit a couple months ago, but we only had a few minutes to try it out. The vocal track we were recording called for more transparent compression so everyone in the control room agreed the Daking was a better fit. But I definitely got the sense the BAC has some serious "goo" to it. I'd love to be able to spend more time with it at some point in the future and really hear what it can do on a variety of sources.

I look forward to your follow-up report.

thanks,
Brad
My "unit" goes with me everywhere. Never leave home without it

I'll try to get the BAC down there again soon. Gimme some dates and I'll see what works.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't want to derail this thread and take any attention away from the INCREDIBLE Bac-500.... it's just that playing around with this incredible new compressor last night really brought this thought to the forefront of my mind...

We are living in such an exciting era for cool new audio tools.... I am definitely a compression nut and have recently added a bunch to my arsenal.... The BAC-500, the TSL-3, Buzz Essence, Buzz Potion, and of course - my several Daking FET Comps which I've had for a while.... and a few others....

While most folks are looking to the past for quality (and there's plenty to be had in the past) - I am looking forward to the future with these companies that are providing us with the best of the past combined with the best of today.... These are such great unique sounding pieces that are helping me keep a unique sonic signature on my material. There is nothing cookie cutter about them and I love that! It's like you're getting the quality sound of a great classic but with a new fresh sonic signature. The classics are cool - 1176's are cool, as are La2a's, as are Neve, as is API, etc... but.... bravo to Pete's Place, A Designs, Buzz Audio, Daking, Wunder, Atlas Pro (Juggernaut), BLUE and the countless other companies who are bringing something new to the table...... you should be commended for thinking out of the box and doing your own thing... that, after all, is where most of the "classics" came from in the first place - from originality - not from cloning something that already exists....

And thanks again for the little BAC - which is what really brought this whole rant to the front of my mind!

DITTO.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.tarasov ➑️
DITTO.
another DITTO!
Old 9th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Lately I'm realizing how much I've been using this little fella on everything. Today we were tracking rap vocals through an assortment of dynamic mics, and I totally felt fine tracking with the BAC hitting the vocals and hard- it sounded just right, no second thoughts about committing to that sound right off the bat. Yesterday I took maybe a couple db off a jazz guitar, super smooth. I almost never compress guitar but I think it was Tony's guitar samples that inspired me to patch it in, and I got the results that I wanted. The day before it was MPC drums and bass guitar. Bad Ass Compressor...
Old 10th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I had a screamer come in yesterday................the BAC saved my a$$
Old 13th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
DrSax,
I'm glad you liked it! Keep us posted!
Old 15th July 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We are living in such an exciting era for cool new audio tools....
I feel like there are a fair amount of products including the BAC-500 that are not trying to just recreate "vintage" gear but take new gear to a new place. Brad's sidechain settings ALONE make the BAC-500 a stand out product. It's FET but doesn't sound like an 1176 clone either.

The clone thing is cool to a point, but it's the non-clone stuff that makes me smile and I think the industry is maybe moving back to innovation rather than copying the past.

War
Old 15th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
The clone thing is cool to a point, but it's the non-clone stuff that makes me smile and I think the industry is maybe moving back to innovation rather than copying the past.
I totally agree Warren. nice to get something different that sounds good.

now if they could just do one more clone..an LA3a in 500 series! heh

kidding ..kind of.
Old 16th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd be all over that, myself. Supposedly Atlas has something LA-3A inspired in the works for 500 series.

Brad
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I mixed a 4-track EP for a band recently and on 1 of their tracks I used the BAC for parallel kick and snare. The following emails came back simply asking for all the drums to sound more like the track with BAC.
I wasn't bowled over by this compressor at first but maybe there's something in it after all...

I also tracked a vocal through a friends Drawmer 1960 the other day and HAD TO switch back to the BAC to get some "keepers".

It's not a total life-changer but it is a really good compressor and one I find myself not wanting to do without.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dubka ➑️
I mixed a 4-track EP for a band recently and on 1 of their tracks I used the BAC for parallel kick and snare. The following emails came back simply asking for all the drums to sound more like the track with BAC.
I wasn't bowled over by this compressor at first but maybe there's something in it after all...

I also tracked a vocal through a friends Drawmer 1960 the other day and HAD TO switch back to the BAC to get some "keepers".

It's not a total life-changer but it is a really good compressor and one I find myself not wanting to do without.

I felt the same way when I first got the BAC........I was thinking WTF???
But now that I have some time into it and working with the SC.......this thing is way cool. PLUS the Dist feature.

I'm just glad I wasn't alone ........but now just like you I can't be without it!
Old 18th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.tarasov ➑️
I felt the same way when I first got the BAC........I was thinking WTF???
But now that I have some time into it and working with the SC.......this thing is way cool. PLUS the Dist feature.

I'm just glad I wasn't alone ........but now just like you I can't be without it!
Funny! It seems to have that effect on alot of people!
πŸ“ Reply