Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 2nd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.tarasov ➡️
Just picked one up...I'll let you know the results! heh

Let us know how you go. I just rolled for my third one-would like 2 more as well- so I could put the little buggers on snare/kick/bass and 2 room mikes (overheads being optical soc land)

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just picked one up...I'll let you know the results! heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai ➡️
Let us know how you go. I just rolled for my third one-would like 2 more as well- so I could put the little buggers on snare/kick/bass and 2 room mikes (overheads being optical soc land)

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
yes keep us posted!
congrats asagaai, i am wanting at more of these myself.
not only do they sound amazing but the build quality is is awesome!
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The BAC500 is very impressive to me thus far.

War
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Follow up....

tracked acoustic guitar for an alt country (meaning real deal country anymore) Martin 00016 -> Pearlman TM1-> Avedis MA5 -> BAC500....I really didn't know what to expect.

What we got was an amazing, fat, full, harmonically rich sound that is seldom heard anymore. Placed the same signal path using a Pacifica, and the sound was thicker than butter. Ended up using each for differences in lead and rhythm tracks

Resulting tracks on an label release set for later this year from Mark Harris and Bordertown.

The BAC is an amazing device...I just don't know how I will be able to afford 7 more.
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I had some time to play with the BAC-500......still not enough time BUT all I can say at this time is "Drum Room Mic"

I have a feeling I will need more of these babies.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.
Old 6th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
BUT all I can say at this time is "Drum Room Mic"
Just finished a drum/DI bass session on 3 tracks- BAC500 on snare/kick/DI bass. Room mikes fatheads into 5043 in FF.

Best drums I ever pulled- and the bass-running Seb VMP DI into CL7602 (EQ) into BAC500-holy smokes - does not sound DI to me and the bark on the bass.

Hats off to the Zen Pro audio full mod Mk 11 7602 too I used as pre/eq on snare and kick- awesome on drums-these pres have a real size and presence on drums and the eq is to die for.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 7th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

Quote:
Just finished a drum/DI bass session on 3 tracks- BAC500 on snare/kick/DI bass. Room mikes fatheads into 5043 in FF.

Best drums I ever pulled- and the bass-running Seb VMP DI into CL7602 (EQ) into BAC500-holy smokes - does not sound DI to me and the bark on the bass.

Hats off to the Zen Pro audio full mod Mk 11 7602 too I used as pre/eq on snare and kick- awesome on drums-these pres have a real size and presence on drums and the eq is to die for.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got mine today. I've been using it all night on vocals and acoustic guitar. It's fabulous. Best 500 series comp I've used for either application and I've tried a bunch. I've been struggling with some vocals for ages, trying to get them to sound right, and the BAC nailed it. The sound on acoustic guitar is excellent. Clear, not grainy, and retains all the detail and harmonics. I'm very impressed. Way to go Brad, I'm a fan. Thanks Lisa (<- very nice person), it was a pleasure dealing with you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero ➡️
Just got mine today. I've been using it all night on vocals and acoustic guitar. It's fabulous. Best 500 series comp I've used for either application and I've tried a bunch. I've been struggling with some vocals for ages, trying to get them to sound right, and the BAC nailed it. The sound on acoustic guitar is excellent. Clear, not grainy, and retains all the detail and harmonics. I'm very impressed. Way to go Brad, I'm a fan. Thanks Lisa (<- very nice person), it was a pleasure dealing with you.
i know you have (or know?) the buzz essence which i think is fabulous on vocals. how would you compare them?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The essence is a great compressor. It's pretty transparent with just a slightly thick honey coating that it adds to vocals. That being said, I work with a vocalist who has a thin midrangy voice, and it was just a bit too polite for what I needed. All my previous attempts to thicken his vocals with compression and EQ have ended up sounding choked and artificial. A few minutes with the BAC and some EQ and the vocal sounds full, clear, and forward. I'm very impressed. I plan to go back and re-do all of his vocal tracks and acoustic guitar tracks. The high shelf switch on the comp sounds great on these particular tracks. Really keeps the high end detail intact.

Sorry for gushing, but this thing is pretty cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero ➡️
The essence is a great compressor. It's pretty transparent with just a slightly thick honey coating that it adds to vocals. That being said, I work with a vocalist who has a thin midrangy voice, and it was just a bit too polite for what I needed. All my previous attempts to thicken his vocals with compression and EQ have ended up sounding choked and artificial. A few minutes with the BAC and some EQ and the vocal sounds full, clear, and forward. I'm very impressed. I plan to go back and re-do all of his vocal tracks and acoustic guitar tracks. The high shelf switch on the comp sounds great on these particular tracks. Really keeps the high end detail intact.

Sorry for gushing, but this thing is pretty cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I had some time to play with the BAC-500......still not enough time BUT all I can say at this time is "Drum Room Mic"
Crap! I have not tried that yet. Its bad enough having to decide whether the bass or the lead vocal gets the one I already own.
Old 13th June 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i know all the drummers are loving the BAC on their drums ( me two ), but it is so a vocal comp for many a application around here!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
i know all the drummers are loving the BAC on their drums ( me two ), but it is so a vocal comp for many a application around here!
#&((&%^[email protected]$%!!!!!!!!!

Drummers love them ah??? GREEEEAAT!!!!!! I just needed that!!
...not enough is "so vocal comp"!!!
and me that I love vibey vocal compressors!

....not enough??? is coming from Peter Montessi Pedigree!!!! ..what a good reason to pick up the phone and my C.C !!!!

Man I need to find a way top don't reading GS!!heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I about to try it on this drum next week!

(for Pan mostly)
Attached Thumbnails
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review-supersonicsnare1.jpg   Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review-supersonicsnare2.jpg   Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review-supersonicsnare3.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They really do work wonders on drums...dangit.

Last week, we a group's A&R cuts - tracked our 20" Pearl Session kik thru the EM silver with an ATM25, BAC on the way in...during edit/mixdown, ran the snare thru the same comp and back in...plenty of snap and power without being overbearing and squashed....

This thing really is a beast, and can hang with the most expensive comps out there.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan ➡️
They really do work wonders on drums...dangit.
Well- they work wonders on drums- and dangit even saxaphone...!!!!

I posted a thread on some much gear so little time about a Beez Neez James tracking a saxaphone-with a clip. I tracked the saxaphone with a Beyer M160 and a Beez Neez James in omni- both mikes running from pre into BAC500's.

I really like the sound of the BAC500 on sax-and bass ...and vocals.. is there anything this comp sounds crap on....

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
is there anything this comp sounds crap on....

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
nope
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well- they work wonders on drums- and dangit even saxaphone...!!!!

I posted a thread on some much gear so little time about a Beez Neez James tracking a saxaphone-with a clip. I tracked the saxaphone with a Beyer M160 and a Beez Neez James in omni- both mikes running from pre into BAC500's.

I really like the sound of the BAC500 on sax-and bass ...and vocals.. is there anything this comp sounds crap on....

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
nope!

my nope is bigger then your nope: o~
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➡️
nope
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
is there anything this comp sounds crap on....

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Well you guys are full of sh#t.

I will tell you what it sounds crap on. Ive attended a live high session gig and drowned 2 bottle red so excuse me.

I did a drum session recently, had 9 mikes on the drum kit, all with compression, the snare and kick with a BAC 500.

Anyways, sitting in control room with Bass Player and pretty female artist and myself all hooked up with headphone mix before a take and the drummer let one off in all his fleshy glory.

Man- I do not particularly want to hear that fleshy fart through a BAC500 again- its just to crappy- too fleshy and in your face- -lol-we all pissed ourselves in the control room butt!!

So I would say the BAC 500 is crappy on farts-LOL.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Lives for gear

Quote:

Man- I do not particularly want to hear that fleshy fart through a BAC500 again- its just to crappy- too fleshy and in your face- -lol-we all pissed ourselves in the control room butt!!

So I would say the BAC 500 is crappy on farts-LOL.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
But how was the low end? heh
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL ➡️
But how was the low end? heh

Stupendously horrendous in all it's detailed glory

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Stupendously horrendous in all it's detailed glory

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
The artist must be sitting on a REAL leather stool to truly bring forward the second and third order harmonics.
Old 14th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thank you, Asagaai, for your support. The detail was a little over the top, but you absolutely had me laughing! I hope you could still use the track! I had no idea that there would be such 'versatile' applications!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➡️
I about to try it on this drum next week!

(for Pan mostly)

i am jonesing bad, for some new drums!
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review-supersonicsnare1.jpg
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review-supersonicsnare3.jpg
i bet that sounds sick!!!!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Awesome seeing you and Peter today Lisa.
You guys are seriously the best.
thanks a bunch..looking forward to finally playing with the BAC 500 and Edyne goodies!

-H
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Awesome seeing you and Peter today Lisa.
You guys are seriously the best.
thanks a bunch..looking forward to finally playing with the BAC 500 and Edyne goodies!

-H
It was great to see you again, as well!

RoundBadge - Rob called us as soon as we got in the door. He starts recording on Monday at Sunset Sound...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➡️
It was great to see you again, as well!

RoundBadge - Rob called us as soon as we got in the door. He starts recording on Monday at Sunset Sound...
Yes.found out last night.thanksthumbsup
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Yes.found out last night.thanksthumbsup
Great! Let us know!
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➡️
Crap! I have not tried that yet. Its bad enough having to decide whether the bass or the lead vocal gets the one I already own.

I understand your problem I have the same thing going on here too!

I just need some money to come in to get a few more.
📝 Reply