Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➡️
Pan, you have to try these on a drum bus... sTUpid good. I'd say you definitely need another
for sure!
yes i must have another!

Quote:
Well, unfortunately I haven't used the STA-level yet so I can't compare the two... but the BACs certainly have the low end thing locked down!
dido
i have track vocals, guitar as well as others, and i just love it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried this as a stereo master compressor on the 2 mix?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tony,

I know you know what I'm going to say right now, but I'll say it anyway ... I love it on a 2 mix if I don't hit it too hard. It has that glue you'd expect. Killer on a rock mix

🎧 15 years
I've been tracking with it and really love the sound. It adds a cool density to the vocals without over power the tone.

Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
There's a thought!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➡️
Has anyone tried this as a stereo master compressor on the 2 mix?
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Super stoked to get mine!
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➡️
Kind of, but not really. In my mind a compressor can have a sonic character that is the result of the line amps. Take the Daking compressor for example. With no gain reduction it adds a sheen on top and a weight to the low end. The compressor can also have a coloration due to compression artifacts. Or its gain reduction character can be transparent. The Daking is the latter. You never hear the compression. You only hear the tone of the line amp. A Distressor on the other hand has a relatively clean and colorless line amp, but the compression is not artifact free to my ears. You can hear the gain reduction. Does that make sense?

Which is the BAC?

Brad
This is just from using it for part of an afternoon, but here goes:

You can definitely hear the tone of the line amp. This is a good thing. It is not overpowering however. It is not as colored as something like a TG or a Germ compressor for example. It sounds great pushed but it has a lot of gain so I could see strapping an atty on the back end if you wanted to crank the gain for color.

You can also hear the gain reduction pretty good like you can with a Distressor or 1176, even though it is pretty smooth, perhaps a bit more so than those two? The compression is not transparent. This is also a good thing. I found myself hitting things hard with it to bring out some harmonics and it killed, esp. on bass. It sounds pretty darn good when it's working hard.

Just listen to Tony's clips, you can hear the character of the compressor there pretty well.

Quite a different beast than an MC76 (don't have a 77) if someone wants that comparison. Pretty unique sounding as a matter of fact. You can use it for some of the same things but the color is different (thicker) and with the BAC I feel like I have much more control over how the attack and release affect the sound. I think they would complement each other well, although I need to use them both at the same time to be sure.

Hope that helps.
Old 19th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now that there are a few more of these out there... anything to add? I'd love to hear your reactions!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well I've had the pleasure of using this BAC for a few days now.. It's as everyone says. It's truely a great sounding compressor..!.. Does something special to the bottom end as well as " x-cite' the high harmonics without sounding tinzzy...Hey thanks again Pete and Lisa....Hey for the record, these are two classy people..!..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman ➡️
Well I've had the pleasure of using this BAC for a few days now.. It's as everyone says. It's truely a great sounding compressor..!.. Does something special to the bottom end as well as " x-cite' the high harmonics without sounding tinzzy...Hey thanks again Pete and Lisa....Hey for the record, these are two classy people..!..
Yup, Lisa and Peter are some of the best people I've met in the industry.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bac is my first outboard comp. Realy nice! Like i said i have little experience with using outboard gear, but it was very intuitive and simple to experiment with. And i think my mixes are sounding better than ever..... I kinda want another....

ANd, i agree with all of you.... Lisa was very nice to deal with. Havent met Peter yet, but im sure ghes cool too... Certainly makes great gear!
Old 20th March 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yep!!!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I got one, too. It's totally kickin' on bass and vocals. Its fat and has some midrange bite, but never too much. The BAC is smoother on vocals than the Purple Action i tried.
It is definitely my go-to on bass. Great FET compressor!

I agree, Lisa and Peter are both very nice people, and a real pleasure to deal with.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, I agree!

Quote:
Does something special to the bottom end as well as " x-cite' the high harmonics without sounding tinzzy
That's a good way of putting what it does.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Remember, it was Brad Avenson that designed the BAC 500. BAC = Brad Avenson Compressor. So, he's the one we need to thank. I think he did a great job!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️

that's trowing the baby out with the dishwater isn't it
please people, i know times are tough but lets not resort to washing our children with dish soap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➡️
Remember, it was Brad Avenson that designed the BAC 500. BAC = Brad Avenson Compressor. So, he's the one we need to thank. I think he did a great job!
Word!
Old 24th March 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff ➡️
please people, i know times are tough but lets not resort to washing our children with dish soap.

still loving this little monster!
Old 5th May 2009
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I’ve been into the 500 series stuff for about 5 years now ... I originally got into this format because I was doing 'on location' stuff and really wanted something that I could pick up and carry out of the studio and still get the quality I was used to. I started off with just the pres, but then some nice looking EQs started coming out and more recently… compressors… my favorite vibe equipment Now, the 500 series stuff is slowly becoming my main source of processing, simply because of all the great options.

So, a new option I’ve been using is the Pete’s Place BAC500 compressor. I’ve been beta testing it for a few months now and feel like I should give you my impressions of it. I’m sure you’ve seem my posts where I was raving about it, but let me get you some specifics.

**FWIW, I AM NOT affiliated with, or an employee of Pete’s Place or A-Designs Audio. I am, however, a fan of their gear because a lot of it has worked for me for several years. I purchase their gear like everyone else.**

There are really 3 things I look for in a compressor so keep these in mind when you read my review, they might not be the same things you look for…

1. versatility (& useability)
2. a sonic imprint
3. vibe (puts a smile on my face)

Here’s how I think the BAC500 adds up in those areas…

Versatility

I’ve used the BAC on everything from percussion to vox , bass and guitar. There aren’t many things this comp CAN’T do, although there are some things you might like to use other options on because it’s is not really a “set it and forget it” compressor.

---On percussive sources, the BAC was fast enough to really let me tailor the transients in any way I wanted. The release also has a wide range (no specifics, but I think the longest is somewhere around 3 seconds) allowing me to liven up rooms sounds and sustain bass tracks appropriately. These things rule on tom tracks and kick tracks… I think they definitely shine on the low end. I can get great snare sounds as well, but it took more tweaking to find that sweet spot. Most recently I’ve tried it on some stereo room sounds (drums) and I was more than satisfied with the results.

--- I really like the BAC on vocals… really for one reason... I can smash the living daylights of them and still get smooth results. If I don’t want smoothness… maybe a little bite, I can simply switch the “dist” button and gain some edge…which is perfect for screamers and I do lots of screamers Something else that really defines the sound of the BAC is the fact that I can tweak it and get the vocals to SIT BACK in the mix… something I really like for certain material. The only strange part is that even though I smash the vocals, I feel like I could get away with smashing them even more... TWO trips through, maybe

--- Bass! The BAC shines on anything in the lower freq territory. Bass guitar is no exception. Just perfect. I can’t wait for other folks to hear it because what it does to low freqs is the most exciting thing about this comp! Think thick and muscular. Definitely some harmonic enrichment going on. On guitar, I was able to let just enough of the guitar attack through and release it quick enough to give me the nice chunky rhythm tones I was after. The distortion button is also really nice to try out on guitars. The more I try the “dist” button, the more I like to use it. Maybe that is good, maybe it’s bad I haven’t tried the BAC much on clean stuff, but I would imagine it would fair just fine.

Sonic Imprint

I feel like there is the typical A-Designs sonic imprint on MOST things I run through the BAC. Where you really notice it is in the bass frequencies. From the high mids on up, it’s harder to hear it. Because I like my comps to give me their imprint, I tend to throw all the things in the bass freqs at it for it's mojo. This is not to say it doesn’t work on other sources… I just think it’s a bit more transparent up in the higher freqs. The side chains on here are also really nice to have. I threw the “high boost/low cut” on some “essy” vox and it really smoothed things out... worked really well de-essing them. I think people will really gravitate toward that option with the whole tape saturation craze. I’m not saying it will give you that character, necessarily, but it will add a little thickness and smooth out the highs a bit. The flat and HP options are also super useful , but they are nothing you aren’t used to and they are a bit more subtle. The distortion option will really give you another set of possibilities. Like I said, the more I use it the more I like it.

Vibe

You know when you play with a piece of gear and you turn a few knobs and you can already tell you are going to dig it? Well, the first thing I threw at this was kick drum and I immediately got that grin. Because of that, I always go back to it and try something new through it… that to me is what vibe is all about. If I hear something in the mix and immediately think, ‘hey, I want to try this through that comp/EQ/ etc…’ I know I want to keep the piece. I really think the BAC is going to make a lot of people happy because you are going to want to try a lot of thing through it. Some things might not give you instant gratification, but then again, some things will. I don’t use this on everything, because sometimes I AM the “set it and forget it’ guy and on some sources it won’t give me that. That’s not to say I can’t get great results, that just tells you I am impatient with things some of the time

Finally, this is not a ‘set your typical comp settings’ kind of compressor…. this is a use 'your freakin’ ears' compressor! Turn the knobs and enjoy.

I hope this helps some folks that may have been thinking about this compressor. I am really excited for people to be able to use it and get the same grin I get.
heh
Old 9th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks to everyone that purchased! We sold out of our first run! Amazing! We are near completion of our second run. We SHOULD have units ready by the end of next week.
Old 9th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome to hear! Such a great compressor and I'm glad more people are experiencing it. I use mine on every project. Great job!

thumbsup
Old 10th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks to everyone that purchased! We sold out of our first run! Amazing! We are near completion of our second run. We SHOULD have units ready by the end of next week.
I def have to get in on the next batch
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just got back in LA after two weeks in two different states recording two different bands.... had my MA5>BAC500>HEDD channel for ODs.

The BAC500 is truly a GREAT compressor. I prefer it now to an 1176 (my first love) for cutting vocals, Bass or A-Gtr... even used it on some eGtr (I usually do not compress them)...

I will be getting some more of these (the MA5's too!)
thumbsup
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
I def have to get in on the next batch
Uhh-I have dibs on the first of the second round for my third BAC500.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 24th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For those of you that have been asking, we will have the second run of BAC 500s by the end of next week.

Thank you to everyone that has purchased all the units of our first run. The feedback has been awesome!
Old 25th May 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For those of you that have been asking, we will have the second run of BAC 500s by the end of next week.

Thank you to everyone that has purchased all the units of our first run. The feedback has been awesome!

sweet!!!!!!!!
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Tried one out today... I want a least 4 of them !!!!
Those little suckers are so damn awesome
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I put one on a lead vocal track today (just got my 500 power supply repaired yesterday)...

I was stunned. I really had no earthly idea the sheer power the BAC put on an otherwise so so vocal track. This unit brings out a certain presence and clarity that I thought was available only in the highest order vintage goodies.

Of course I have a LOT more testing to do, but I can tell ya this one is staying in the rack, and will replace some functional but otherwise yawn inducing units.

Thanks Pete and Lisa, and Brad Avenson...this is an awesome unit, and is literally changing the way we approach our compression needs.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thank you. It's soup!
Old 2nd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just picked one up...I'll let you know the results! heh
📝 Reply