Quantcast
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I keep going between a BAC and an 1176 clone... is seems like they'd cover a lot of the same ground, and I only have budget for one atm...

Uses will be:

- adding smack to acoustic and electronic snare
- adding thwap to kicks
- meating up guitars
- adding attitude to VSTi's
- smashing drum room
- possibly crushing vocals
- possibly riding bass

The only other outboard comp I have is the Brute, which really does the transparent vocal tracking gain reduction thing perfectly.
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The BAC is excellent, especially for vocals. But given your requirements I would say go the 1176 route.
Old 11th September 2013 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
BAC fan here: )
Old 11th September 2013 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The BAC is a smoother tone, capable of similar action to an 1176.

An 1176 tends to have that harder midrange aggression, where the BAC is a bit more round and smooth.

The distortion mode on the BAC500 is nice, more of an "edge" than some kind of stomp box effect (more subtle).

Both have advantages, an 1176 style will do smash job better if you're saying you want more extreme.

War
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I used the BAC on the bass for these tracks. I'm loving this compressor! Hopefully this helps illustrate the punch and vibe this comp provides. I've always been a huge fan of the A designs stuff, especially for bass and vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/domliberati/high-and-dry
https://soundcloud.com/domliberati/the-city
Old 27th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a designs rocks

petes place bac 500 and a designs rocks

i have a pair of BAC 500 that i use on anything and everything, it does 1176 better than an 1176

i have a chain of hammer, nail and em-eq2 on mix bus and some other stuff too. used it all on my latest album whose voodoo can be heard at boneshowell.com anything a-designs/petes place is top notch
Old 5th January 2014 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
BAC fan here: )
Old 19th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I picked up a BAC 500 the other day, used it on a vocal tracking session last night and it was awesome! This little beast is definitely a great buy and a keeper.
Old 20th February 2014
Deleted 55b0690
Gotta add myself to the fanboy choir.
Got my BAC500 yesterday and it made an awesome impression on me, especially on vocals.
Its my first ever hardware compressor and I feel it wont be the last
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bought one yesterday, should be here on Friday... I can't wait!
Old 4th March 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This comp seems to have lost a lot of steam...hardly hear it talked about anymore
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➑️
This comp seems to have lost a lot of steam...hardly hear it talked about anymore
It's no longer the flavor of the month. I still have it and still like it, never cared much for fads anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Really? I feel like I've still been seeing talk of it all over the threads here and there. Hmmmm maybe everyone is in the studio using theirs and not on the threads!

In all honesty, is there anything else you want to know about it? I use it everyday in my setup. I rarely track gtrs or snare without it. Love this thing!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What is left to talk about or that needs to be talked about that has not already been said.? It's a very good comp and I know I get good use out of mine in every mix I do.
Old 14th March 2014
Deleted 55b0690
Btw, I emailed them and asked about a recall sheet for the BAC500.
They promised one would be on their website by the end of next week.
Old 14th March 2014
Deleted 55b0690
Btw, I emailed them and asked about a recall sheet for the BAC500.
They promised one would be on their website by the end of next week.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I love mine! It's been getting a lot of use. One thing that was pretty cool was using it with the avid omni pre, which is a bit generic and clean, but pairing a clean pre with the BAC 500 adds the missing MOJO! Turn on the built in dist and you've got even more color to play with. So try this if you're using a duet or other clean pre box that could use a bit of life.
Old 30th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have one on loan and used it for a vocal session, very aggressive singer (punk rock) and really dug it. Tried it on bass and liked it there as well. The distortion function added some nice sizzle to it that was subtle but put the bass a little more up front (in a good way). I think it's here to stay
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice, Chris! I used mine on a vox session the other day, and it killed!
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Use it on bass and kick drum all the time. Don't dig it so much on voice. Nice piece tho...
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
has anyone ever had the chance to compare the BAC500 to the Overstayer FET Compressor?
I loved the Overstayer when i had it, but i had to sell it to raise some money.
I'm on the look out for a FET Comp at the moment, and the BAC500 seems to have a very similar feature set.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just got mine today, and omg it is amazing I love it. So smooth. I havent been able to dig too deep into the other functions like sidechain. I think its pretty easy to use as well as just sounding good.
Old 30th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I've had my BAC 500 for almost a year now. Fantastic boutique FET comp. Love tracking vocals, bass, gtr through it. It really can handle and enhance any source you run through it. What's surprising to me is just how many pro guys/studios I know and been to have no clue about this piece. IMO it is a MUST-HAVE studio item.
πŸ“ Reply