Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 17th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron ➑️
Yeah, I'm thinking I just might, even though it means a little extra work. I'll have to see what my budget allows...
If you want to try one out, let me know. They are amazing compressors and have a really unique sonic signature.
Old 17th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
If you want to try one out, let me know. They are amazing compressors and have a really unique sonic signature.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm already enjoying the one I bought from the PP website a couple weeks ago!

FWIW though, I agree: they're the beez-knees.I like it enough that I'm considering a second...
Old 13th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
Hi Tony...remember the Greek guy?
The BAC500 is in good hands and as far i use it,i love it more and more...it's really a secret weapon...
...and yes..we suppose to have economy crisis here,but i will never sell it...even if i become 55 kilos.....
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, looks like I have a BAC500 en route. Just bought one from a fellow 'slut. I'm really excited to hear how it compares to my 1176. I love 1176s, but I want to see what this adds or takes away from the 1176. For those who are quite familiar with 1176, like Ronan mentioned he was, what do you feel is better for rock vox? Bass?

I've started doing some hybrid mixing with a little processing and analog flavor between my convertors and my DBox summing. So far I have been using a pair of 527s on drum bus, my 1176 on center lead vox, and thinking this on bass or switching the 1176 to bass and this to vox.

I'm also trying to add a couple eqs. I have an API 560 on the way, and I may be picking up a pair of either GR Harrisons or Purples (Odd or Tav). I'd like an eq on lead vox and a stereo pair for gtr bus.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I am excited for the BAC500!

JROD
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The BAC-500 is fabulous for vocals, the sidechain filter is incredibly useful. The BAC and 1176 complement each other nicely to give you some good options vocally, when one doesn't work, the other usually does. I don't however care for the BAC too much on bass, so if they must be used simultaneously would say 1176 on bass and BAC on vox.

Also if you decide one unit works best for both, just re-print the track, the results are usually worth it. And since you have a 560 on the way, give that into the 527 a shot on bass as well.

For EQ the 560 can work on vox, but seems more of a hit or miss. The 550A is really nice on guitars, but would say the 550B is more versatile overall. My first impression of the GR is it works nice for vox, but it's still really new to me, haven't experimented enough yet, tons of options on it but the small knobs can get annoying. Never tried the Odd or Tav.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I feel like the GR would be a UAD Cambridge type parametric eq to really help give me some transparent surgical tools. I don't think the 560 will be my vocal EQ, but I think it could be cool on bass. It's so hard when you don't get to try this stuff out beforehand. BUt, the way I look at it, is if you can buy used, you can literally try and resell for about same price if you don't like. Hard to argue there.

JROD
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just used my new BAC 500 for the first time... Vocal tracking... Pretty dang awesome. Def adds a weight to the vocal. It is not as transparent as an 1176. Its like the perfect complement.

Guess now I got to try it on bass.

JROD

Last edited by jrod9900; 25th July 2012 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: specify Product
Old 31st July 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
congrats!
an awesome comp!
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. Need. More. 500. Gear.

JROD
Old 31st July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another BAC lover here...... Need a few more;-)
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Had another session(s) with the BAC500. Wowowow. Love this thing. Used it on snare and vocals. It definitely adds some weight and thickness to a vocal. It is not as transparent as the 1176. Also used it on snare in lieu of an 1176. Definitely more meat. My snare sound was great (albeit a great drummer helped). I may not even use samples (or much) come mix time. His hits were very consistent, and the tone of the drum itself was great.

I also used it on an Ampeg bass rig. It was definitely useable. I could be happy with this thing on bass. I'd like to play with it a little more on bass.

This is not a set and forget type box, but I do feel its pretty versatile with the sidechain and distortion settings as well. I am not letting this thing go any time soon!

JROD
Old 9th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 ➑️
..... Used it on snare and vocals. It definitely adds some weight and thickness to a vocal. ....... My snare sound was great (albeit a great drummer helped). ................................................
I also used it on an Ampeg bass rig. It was definitely useable. I could be happy with this thing on bass. I'd like to play with it a little more on bass.

This is not a set and forget type box, but I do feel its pretty versatile with the sidechain and distortion settings as well. I am not letting this thing go any time soon!

JROD
Also- use it on electric guitars , I ran two electric guitar tracks through two Little Devil eqs into two BAC500s-talk about grit, bite (LD) and thickness (BAC). These two in combo on an electric guitar are really something.

Try it on saxaphone- is really superb as it gives a thickness and the top end is polished smoothly.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Great comp....
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds awesome!
Old 9th August 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai ➑️
Also- use it on electric guitars , I ran two electric guitar tracks through two Little Devil eqs into two BAC500s-talk about grit, bite (LD) and thickness (BAC). These two in combo on an electric guitar are really something.

Try it on saxaphone- is really superb as it gives a thickness and the top end is polished smoothly.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Great comp....
ditto!
i love it on electric guitar!!!
i have lots of love for this comp: )
Old 12th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is the band BlindDog Smokin'. All of the guitars were recorded with the BAC 500.
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TE...dkc4Q1JEZU1UQw
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice!

This comp has not fallen out of favor in my studio. It's still used in some aspect of every recording. Such a killer piece.
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Very nice reading. Good review
Old 23rd August 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Decided to jump on the gearslutz bandwagon... and what a wagon it is!!

I also seem to have jumped on the BAC bandwagon... With some of my favourite snare results I've ever had!
Tuned the snare super super low, with the old trusty piece of paper ontop. I was looking for a compressor that could translate the tone of the snare and really bring it forward in the mix. tried a bunch... really was struggling. Then borrowed a friends BAC500 and BAM! there it was. Im now saving up for my own (can't bare life anymore without it).
Anyway boys if your interested to hear how the snare turned out, heres a Youtube clip.

BAC FOR PRESIDENT. (or prime minister in aus).

Roar Of Your Waterfall By Joel & Ally Dowling - YouTube
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, great comp. This and an 1176, you can't go wrong!

JROD
Old 6th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just wanted to say I ordered a second BAC500 so I can rock a stereo pair or have one for vocals and bass! Love this compressor! Also, service from War @ ZenPro was great, package was shipped literally 15 minutes after I paid for it, and I received it less than 24 hours from purchase! With a free bag of coffee! Ridiculous!
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, this is a great piece. I like to track with this and mix with an 1176 or vice versa. They compliment each other nice. Can definitely add some grit to a sound.

I would love to have a nother.

JROD
Old 7th December 2012 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFiAudio ➑️
Just wanted to say I ordered a second BAC500 so I can rock a stereo pair or have one for vocals and bass! Love this compressor! Also, service from War @ ZenPro was great, package was shipped literally 15 minutes after I paid for it, and I received it less than 24 hours from purchase! With a free bag of coffee! Ridiculous!
Happy to take care of you, you already knew it was a great comp so glad we could make #2 a good experience. I'm all jacked up on Zen Blend myself right now...

War
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Free coffee??? Is that included in the Lindell orders??? Is this like crack? The first taste is free?

Now I see why you said something about coffee when I said I hadn't had any beers this week War. Lol

JROD
Old 6th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just bought one off a fellow gearslut on here...

Just tried it on a Vox during mixdown. Very cool. To me it sounded almost mid forward, a bit agrressive but also smooth at the same time. That distortion button is really cool.

Cant wait to really dig in and try it on drums and bass.

I also have a Inward Brute and that does it's own thing- Good to have options..

1 question, I thought it had 2 transformers in it? I only saw 1..
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's a great piece. It picks up where the 1176 leaves off. I feel the complement each other extremely well. I usually track with one and mix with the other, ESP on vox.

JROD
Old 6th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Having never owned an 1176 but used one before, I would say this is it's inbred cousin.. Man, the distortion on this things wipes the floor compared to the distressor. No contest.. I can see that distortion coming in handy on bass and vox.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Exactly. This thing kills on vox, bass, crushed drums and the like. Wish I could afford another.

I also got the new Lindell comp. it is much different than the BAC. I haven't AB'd it with my 1176 yet though.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would it be too much to track with a bac 500 after a inward brute on vox?
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx ➑️
Would it be too much to track with a bac 500 after a inward brute on vox?
Not at all, this is my normal mix vocal chain most of the time (plus pheonix drs and / or peq-1 for eq ) and it kills! "Sounds like a record", as they say... Just be careful with the BAC for tracking, it can get pretty aggressive.
Old 31st August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 ➑️
Exactly. This thing kills on vox, bass, crushed drums and the like. Wish I could afford another.

I also got the new Lindell comp. it is much different than the BAC. I haven't AB'd it with my 1176 yet though.
Have you tried the Lindell on vox?
πŸ“ Reply