Quantcast
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 21st August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the response Tony. In this case I'm at about 12:30 on the input. I do this to get the amount of compression I need. The insert takes the signal after the line amp of the console which is properly gain staged from Pro Tools. If I backed up off the input of the BAC I'd have to boost the line amp feeding it and risk overloading the channel at that stage. This would work fine but the sweet spot remains at the 5th LED. And boy is it a sweet spot....
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i looked to see were the input was set on the BAC the last i was using it.
and the input is just about the third white dot.
rase the in lower the out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I can't set it to those pot locations because the character I'm after isn't there unless I'm driving the compressor fairly hard. If I do set it that way, I'll need some way to boost the signal to the compressor which in my current case is after the line amp of the channel strip (not desirable because of the channel distortion that ensues).

I CAN send the signal post fader and bring the output back on another channel or even the small fader. I CAN try and send the signal to the comp before hitting the board to see if that changes things.

With a "set threshold" device versus one with a dedicated threshold pot, the input gain is what drives the amount of compression, regardless of whether I'm using the input gain pot on the compressor or by driving the compressor with a hot signal. I've just noticed that when it is driven hard the output knob has to be almost zero so it can be fed to it's next stage at a desired level.

Of course this could all be because the ATtack that I'm letting through is just enough where THAT is what's causing the signal to be so hot at the output

Anyway, I hope I haven't in any way painted my experiences with the BAC in a bad light. It is my favorite 500 comp and if I wrote about all of my "set and forget oh my God that sounds amazing" experiences, this thread would be twice as long...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'll do a test tomorrow. I will get the kick to compress at the 5th LED by adjusting the input knob, and again by setting the input knob to the third dot and driving it to the 5th LED by adjusting the level of signal before the compressor. I'll see if the output level will be different. thumbsup the only thing is that if the output level is more reasonable using the second technique, I'll have to use a different way of feeding it versus as an insert. Just typing out loud here.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigheguy ➑️
Anyway, I hope I haven't in any way painted my experiences with the BAC in a bad light. It is my favorite 500 comp and if I wrote about all of my "set and forget oh my God that sounds amazing" experiences, this thread would be twice as long...
not at all , at least IMHO.
nothing wrong with asking for input.

i think as long as you can get what you want sound wise i see nothing wrong with having output turned way down.
i was just playing with mine, and hitting it hard and the output between the the firs and second dot, not really the sound i want but i see no reason for concern.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I tried adjusting the line amp into the channel (which feeds the level into the insert) and had better results today. When I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigheguy ➑️
I adjust the output of Pro Tools so that I am hitting the DA at a reasonable level which I can see not only by looking at the 192 but also by looking at the meter (PPM) on the line input of the channel. All is good in the world of gain staging so far...
I was actually missing a step. Just because the signal from Pro Tools was hitting the converters in the "sweet spot" doesn't necessarily hold equally true for the LINE IN to the board. Although it seems obvious, instead of just hitting the converters right and having that be the level to the board, there is the LINE IN's sweet spot as well, which is achieved through adjusting the LINE IN gain pot. In this case I boosted the level a tad more after the converters and had more level throughout the channel. When all was said and done I was hitting the BAC with more level and had to use the INPUT knob less. In my mind gain staging is a prerequisite to any good mix and not every piece or situation is the same. Glad I was able to walk this one through. Thanks guys!
Old 25th August 2010 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years

sweet to hear!
i love this beast: )~
Old 25th August 2010 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Myers ➑️
Where do I have to go to buy this? Anyway I can try it before I buy it?
I have a return policy, but also the BAC500 is featured on my gear test page called the "Clip-A-Lator". You can compare the BAC500 to tons of other compressors and also watch a video which helps bring context to the full parameters of the unit (which audio files alone fail to do).

War
Old 11th August 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello everybody from Greece..for 3 weeks now,i am an owner of 1 Bac-500...
I want to say first,that i am not a pro sound engineer,but i think i am a good user of my pro equipment,for having the best results for my music,in my personal home studio.
I have done many tests, recording vocals and acoustic guitars,by recording them with and without bac500's bypass mode...the results to my ears were amazing...
Vocals:
With the bac500 turned on,i could hear a very wide range vocals,thick for sure,emphasis to all frequencies,especially in middles(very sweet ,on your face middles)..,full body,soul.
To the bypass mode,i was so disappointed,hearing my voice like coming from a sleepy, bored guy..voice with no strength,without body and soul,voice like recorded in a non pro studio.
As for my settings,i found that medium attack,and little slower release are great.(ratio 2:1 ,or 4:1 for louder performance)
I wouldn't set the EQ to the position 3(like Tony likes),because in position 1, i feel the vocals more natural,with all the breathing details,and a crispy ''s '',but i would definitely use position 3 if i would like to record a wind instrument which gives much air sound.(as for the distortion button-great but not my style)
Acoustic guitars:
The same great results here as well...for loud strumming with no pick sound,faster attack,slow release 4:1 ratio....for sweet and thicker sound,and for fingerpicking style,2:1 ratio,slow release and attack sounds awesome,and gives a sweet middle range sustain....i prefer again position 1

To all tests,the input gain was in 12 o'clock position,and the output level less-in order to have a slight increase of the overall gain...(1 week later after posting this,i found that input gain in 9 o'clock position and output gain 10-11 o'clock sounds much better-and i would even recommend same input and output in 9'o'clock when you have to deal with instruments with too much sustain,like a martin D-41 acoustic guitar)

So..my next step for a compressor is .........to buy one more Bac-500,because since i bought it, i can't imagine my music without it..
Thank you guys....

Last edited by soufis; 20th August 2011 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: new informations
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
about to pull the trigger on the bac500
anyone has any large words of encouragement (or otherwise?)
gonna be using it on a variety of sources, but also heavily on "warming up" synths (analog / vst / digital / whateverrr) as well (i know u all hate that phrase! warming up itb stuff)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnu ➑️
Just do it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnu ➑️
gonna be using it on a variety of sources, but also heavily on "warming up" synths (analog / vst / digital / whateverrr) as well (i know u all hate that phrase! warming up itb stuff)
Words of encouragement other than my original post? ... none larger
Old 12th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is it worth getting a 2nd bac-500 for stereo/bus applications, anyone done this?
Old 12th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc ➑️
Is it worth getting a 2nd bac-500 for stereo/bus applications, anyone done this?
I have. It is a bit of a pain in the arse- as the input/output settings need to be carefully calibrated - ie using a steady tone signal. Also- very low bass can cause an image shift/pump if more on one side- and the way that I deal with this is to engage the low cut sidechain.

But- even with this pain- I keep using them on the mix- even though I have other nice compressors. Why - cause it gives a real nice thickening and depth/electricity, but still retains the signal detail in a hi fi sorta way, and has a nice softening edge.

Wish they would bring out a rack unit with two calibrated channels matched for this sorta function- as I dig the tone over the mix.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 13th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai ➑️
I have. It is a bit of a pain in the arse- as the input/output settings need to be carefully calibrated - ie using a steady tone signal. Also- very low bass can cause an image shift/pump if more on one side- and the way that I deal with this is to engage the low cut sidechain.

But- even with this pain- I keep using them on the mix- even though I have other nice compressors. Why - cause it gives a real nice thickening and depth/electricity, but still retains the signal detail in a hi fi sorta way, and has a nice softening edge.

Wish they would bring out a rack unit with two calibrated channels matched for this sorta function- as I dig the tone over the mix.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
soon
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc ➑️
Indeed. I ordered two in sequential serial numbers, and I loved them...am seriously bummed that I let them go. Mine seemed to work very well in tandem. Go for it!

Karl
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
How hot is your input into the BAC?

A lot of people when they first get the BAC 500, tend to overdrive the unit. If you start with the input and output at 9 o'clock, and you have an average level between -20 and -10 dB, you should be able to get good gain staging without overdriving anything.
I'll second that emotion! The BAC 500s are very sensitive. They can't handle much input at all. I think the manufacturer is finally putting some videos out on YouTube to help explain how to dial them in, which in short is: don't push these puppys! If you do, you'll think they are not functioning like other compressors. LA-2A's they're not! They need care and feeding, and a gentle current flowing in and out. When you get the Zen aspect, you'll love them.

Peace
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➑️
soon

Looking forward to a rack unit with calibrated units for buss mix work. May be worthwhile to have more resolution on the input and output controls for that application as well.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 6th September 2011 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i just love love love the BAC compressor!
this is a home run unit in my humble opinion.

now, this is one unit i do think we nee to see a smokin version in a 19'' rack.
personally, i will be lining up for one when they are available!
this will let my 500 format unit live life where need as individual comps.
Old 6th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey all, I was looking at grabbing an SSL Quad compressor but I like the flexibility of the BAC-500. I read a review earlier that said it had a great FET grab and could easily do a similar SSL squash/punch on the 2 buss. I really would prefer having two BAC-500s instead of the one task oriented SSL just for a lot more flexibility.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
KennyS
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i am a super big fan of the BAC and it always gets a big thumbs up from me, but ( always a but: ( ), i do not see it as the best choice for buss work.
way, it is not designed to be. no stereo link, you will have two mono comps.
if you can work that way i say go for it!
i love these, they are very prized by me: )

for two buss look at the API 527's and for just two buss the elysia xpressor 500 get lots of love here.

like i say if you can work with the dual mono the BAC's rock!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The SSL and the BAC-500 are both fantastic, but they are definitely not interchangeable. As Pan said, the BAC-500s do not link, and I find the BAC to be more colored than the SSL buss comp.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Pete's Place Audio BAC-500 is a 500 series compressor module that is only suitable for lunchbox style rack casings. This is an analog piece of equipment, with an interesting make up and overall vibe to it.*
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Am currently demo-ing a unit and thought I'd post up some samples. It works great on everything I've tried it on. Just recorded some samples with a simple drum loop for this one. Note the 2:1 ratio has different attack settings (slower), the others are all on fastest attack. I've decided to keep the unit.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...SEJ0d0VkVU1UQw
Old 6th May 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
although not a stereo designed comp, still one of my favored comps: )
Old 16th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
although not a stereo designed comp, still one of my favored comps: )
Hey Pan, I was thinking of picking up a second BAC to do buss compression, and I figured you'd be the man to ask about this. Is there any drawback to using two mono units aside from having to turn two different knobs each time?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron ➑️
Hey Pan, I was thinking of picking up a second BAC to do buss compression, and I figured you'd be the man to ask about this. Is there any drawback to using two mono units aside from having to turn two different knobs each time?
Not Pan- but I have used BAC500s on buss.

Negatives- each unit has different input/output settings, so you need to input a steady line signal and input each input so the gains and gain reduction are identical, and then set each output so output gain identical. Is a PITA.

Further, if there is bass or low signal in mix, it can cause a skewing of the stereo image to one side. I use the low pass filters on each unit which TME eliminated this issue as the compressors ignore the low stuff which causes this problem.

That said- two BAC on mix sounds fantastic.

Word of caution, if using significant gain lifting over entire mix with BAC on mix chain- be mindful that the BAC 500 with the distortion button in introduces a fair bit of noise (not saying that you would want to use the distortion button over entire mix).

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron ➑️
i love the BAC and honestly would love to yes do it! ( which i will in a moment ).
but, i do not feel it is best suited for stereo buss application: ( but you could do it: )

asagaai pretty much covered some reasons way not.
so i think if you already have one, then grab another, use it, save some dough and grab a stereo buss comp later.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai ➑️
Not Pan- but I have used BAC500s on buss.

Negatives- each unit has different input/output settings, so you need to input a steady line signal and input each input so the gains and gain reduction are identical, and then set each output so output gain identical. Is a PITA.

Further, if there is bass or low signal in mix, it can cause a skewing of the stereo image to one side. I use the low pass filters on each unit which TME eliminated this issue as the compressors ignore the low stuff which causes this problem.

That said- two BAC on mix sounds fantastic.

Word of caution, if using significant gain lifting over entire mix with BAC on mix chain- be mindful that the BAC 500 with the distortion button in introduces a fair bit of noise (not saying that you would want to use the distortion button over entire mix).

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Awesome, thanks for the low-down.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
i love the BAC and honestly would love to yes do it! ( which i will in a moment ).
but, i do not feel it is best suited for stereo buss application: ( but you could do it: )

asagaai pretty much covered some reasons way not.
so i think if you already have one, then grab another, use it, save some dough and grab a stereo buss comp later.
Yeah, I'm thinking I just might, even though it means a little extra work. I'll have to see what my budget allows...
πŸ“ Reply