monitor opinions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
monitor opinions
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
monitor opinions

so for maximum clarity what do you guys think; a pair of Focal twins / adam p33's (no sub) or atc scm20sl/proac 100's running on an adcom amp with a sub?
the problem is i can get the adcom amp fairly cheap second hand but can't return it, so if i buy it to test all four options together, and chose a self powered option, i will be stuck with it. not sure how to wiggle around this one. either way i'm going to get multiple options in my room and honetly there are more speakers i am interested in that require an amp (hot house 165 and aerial 5) but i have heard the twins breifly as was pretty impressed. i also have this completely unfounded dislike of subs (really, very little reasoning).

for context, i am currently on adam A7's and have just gotten some mixcubes. my current room sucks but that is going to change in the next month, which may change my feelings on the adams. even still, the A7's are nice but i'm not sure we're the right fit. we'll see

so what do you prefer for near/almost mid field, full range no sub or a 2.1 system?

Last edited by hakanai; 4th February 2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: clearity
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
bump for editing that helps it all make sense
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
For clarity? ATC 20's are about as clear as it gets just as they are....not sure a sub would add any clarity......but I guess it depends on what you mean by the word "clarity". Do you mean showing details and flaws or presenting a full spectrum or flat phase or?

I haven't tried an adcom on passive 20's, but a bryston 4b works fine.

Brad
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I would say do whatever you have to do to hear the K+H 0300 or 0410 before you commit to any of those options, then be prepared to borrow/save/wait to get what you want. Until then work with what you already have, even if you know it's not perfect.

Buying and selling again to correct for shortcomings only noticed after months of use is a waste of time and money. Save to get exactly what you want and be prepared to suffer a little now (financially) for the advantages over the long haul.

To my ears, most speakers I hear - even the ones with the highest reputations - are variations on "not-quite-right".

I think that for some, what is perceived as "clarity" is just a slight excess of high frequency energy, but this masks frequencies nearby. To me, real clarity comes from a very even frequency response, with no frequency masked by an excess of an adjacent one.

This can sound a little dull and un-revealing at first but the advantages gradually make themselves apparent. When that happens, speakers with hyped characteristics are revealed clearly for what they are - wrong!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply