Quantcast
el9 "mike-e" pre modeling - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
el9 "mike-e" pre modeling
Old 21st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
would this be a good pre for vocals using an SM7b?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm bettin' there would be enough gain for that mic to be dead quiet. The compsat sounds killer on my K2 and my beta 58. Hmmmmmmmmm. My buddy has a SM7b. I'll try to plug that in next week
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i want one! so bad....

or really, i want to go to mercenary and try it out.

i guess ill have to figure out how to get a client to buy this for me.

-Shane
Old 22nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox ➡️
I'm bettin' there would be enough gain for that mic to be dead quiet. The compsat sounds killer on my K2 and my beta 58. Hmmmmmmmmm. My buddy has a SM7b. I'll try to plug that in next week

that would be awesome man, I think it would be a good match
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideawakE ➡️
would this be a good pre for vocals using an SM7b?
SICK!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
BTW, those specs are impressive, but do they matter? What mic captures about 20kHz or has anything meaningful below 20Hz? Do we want to record stuff that low, either?

Yeah but that doesn't help you sell preamps to people who have never heard them and will buy without trying based off internet threads... Impressive specs read well on line...

Thats some of the silliest spec dropping Ive seen yet... Unless you've figured out HOW to record, let alone HEAR 150k... Or 3hz... Or 6hz... Or 80K... or anywhere even close...

Those specs are 100% worthless.
Old 23rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
BTW, those specs are impressive, but do they matter? What mic captures about 20kHz or has anything meaningful below 20Hz? Do we want to record stuff that low, either?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold ➡️
Yeah but that doesn't help you sell preamps to people who have never heard them and will buy without trying based off internet threads... Impressive specs read well on line...

Thats some of the silliest spec dropping Ive seen yet... Unless you've figured out HOW to record, let alone HEAR 150k... Or 3hz... Or 6hz... Or 80K... or anywhere even close...

Those specs are 100% worthless.
Sorry, but that's kinda bull****. The specs are not 100% worthless. They are only worthless to those who do not understand or attempt to understand what they mean -- or what they mean in the context of the 'real world' usage or application of the gear.

For example, when I read something goes down to 3 Hz, what it means to me is that it will reproduce flat at 20 Hz, NOT -3dB down. To me, that seems like a pretty good design feat. Is it my sole reason to buy the thing? No. Does it mean that someone actually thought about the design and what they were trying to accomplish with it? Yes !

And let's face it, people buy MANY THINGS based on far far less than specs.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno ➡️
Sorry, but that's kinda bull****. The specs are not 100% worthless. They are only worthless to those who do not understand or attempt to understand what they mean -- or what they mean in the context of the 'real world' usage or application of the gear.

For example, when I read something goes down to 3 Hz, what it means to me is that it will reproduce flat at 20 Hz, NOT -3dB down. To me, that seems like a pretty good design feat. Is it my sole reason to buy the thing? No. Does it mean that someone actually thought about the design and what they were trying to accomplish with it? Yes !

And let's face it, people buy MANY THINGS based on far far less than specs.
Agreed! The only true test is what it sounds like......and this mic pre sounds freaking amazing. Go figure!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
perhaps it was designed to mate well with products specifically designed for extended frequencies?

I'm thinking Sennheiser MKH 8000, et al.

there's a running joke in a band I work with that there's always someone in the audience who will call bull**** no matter what.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush ➡️
perhaps it was designed to mate well with products specifically designed for extended frequencies?

I'm thinking Sennheiser MKH 8000, et al.

there's a running joke in a band I work with that there's always someone in the audience who will call bull**** no matter what.
If this was directed at me, I think you missed my point.

If you think that I was talking about matching frequency responses between pieces of gear then you DEFINITELY missed my point...

JP
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
fwiw, rupert neve has long been on record that he wanted all of his designs to spec out to 100k, he believes it's necessary to truly achieve linearity within the normal range of audibility.

that don't make any of it true, or relevant to anyone else's experience, but it does mean dave derr and adam aren't crackpots for thinking this stuff matters.

well, maybe they're crackpots, but they're crackpots in damn good company.

gregory scott - ubk
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno ➡️
If this was directed at me, I think you missed my point.

If you think that I was talking about matching frequency responses between pieces of gear then you DEFINITELY missed my point...

JP
hi John, not directed toward you at all.

I am trying to learn more about this stuff all the time, and obviously Senn is designing mics to go way up there...I'm thinking why not try it with a mic preamp that does too?

I should probably have kept my mouth shut here.

carry on.

peace

walt
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
oh, and the bull**** comment is just an attempt at humor.
"that solo was bull****, man!"

on GS I often feel like I'm in church alone, sitting in my own pew.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush ➡️
hi John, not directed toward you at all.

I am trying to learn more about this stuff all the time, and obviously Senn is designing mics to go way up there...I'm thinking why not try it with a mic preamp that does too?

I should probably have kept my mouth shut here.

carry on.

peace

walt
No worries. Thanks for your clarification !!

best,
John
📝 Reply