Quantcast
High End Vocal Chain Suggestion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High End Vocal Chain Suggestion
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
High End Vocal Chain Suggestion

I am getting ready to purchase a high end vocal to complete my project production studio and so far this is what I am looking at:

Sony C800G or Neumann U87 mic
Vintech 473 preamp 4-channel preamp
Tube-Tech CL 2A dual compressor
Apogee Rosetta 800 A/D converters

I have a custom isolated vocal booth and I will mostly be recording rap/pop/r&b vocals and I have 3 guitars I will be running it thru as well.So let me know what you guys think about this vocal chain and please post any advice or suggestions

Thanks in Advance!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you like cleanish mics, try Brauner, too.
Aurora preamps are well worth trying, too.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
zap the vintech, get a neve, a cl1b, a mc 77 maybe a la2a some aurora lynx converters.
for vocals with the Sony your set
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
zap the vintech, get a neve, a cl1b, a mc 77 maybe a la2a some aurora lynx converters for vocals with the Sony your set
Neve 1073 or 1084?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
go with the 1084, it's exactly the same as a 1073 but has a way more usefull EQ ( 1073 has fixed frequencies like 12K where the 84 can do 10, 12 ans 16, plus H q etc...
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aodagreat ➑️
Neve 1073 or 1084?
Its the same thing with 2 more knobs...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Its the same thing with 2 more knobs...
you mean 2 more "VERY USEFULL" knobs ? !! heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Chains

A couple of ideas for you from sessions I've worked on recently (both pretty high level stuff!)

Telefunken E251 mic > Millennia TD1 pre > Summit TLA100A comp

warm if slightly dark sound. Used on a male rock vocal.

Neumann M149 > API pre > UA 1176 (new one)

Female voice, I thought this was a very classy sound. I'd be interested in the second set up with the Summit comp as an alternative, or even a Manley Vari Mu which I've used and liked in the past on certain vocals. We were reducing vocal levels by up to 8db with the Summit and you would never have known it was there!

In my own small project studio I use a Soundelux iFet 7 going into an API pre and a DBX 162SL compressor on male vocals and possibly (depending on the singer) swap to a U87 for female vocals. The DBX 162SL is very underrated (IMHO). In overeasy mode and auto it's a fantastic compressor for vocals and you can pick them up comparitively cheap on Ebay. I also use the Rosetta. I have a Lynx too and would use the Apogee every time. I recently mixed 2 tracks in my project studio with 4 stereo stems coming out of the Rosetta and from there to a Lavry and the tracks are now on an album that's just gone platinum - don't let anyone put you off the Apogees!

Steve
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Vocal Comp= Teletronix La2a.

Purchase one of these and adds the microphone and preamplifier of your pleasure
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My advice: try before you buy! And if you can't do that, buy used. That way if you don't like it you can put it back on the market and get about the same you paid for it back. Best of luck!

Ed
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
C800G - Pendulum quartet II - done !

But really, you need one more mic to give you a different approach (like a 251).

What soundcard do you use ? (that you need a converter for ...)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
c800g --->focusrite isa 215----->distressor
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black ➑️
C800G - Pendulum quartet II - done !

But really, you need one more mic to give you a different approach (like a 251).

What soundcard do you use ? (that you need a converter for ...)
Im running Pro Tools HD w/ Apogee AD/DA16x and i may be looking to purchase the Lynx Aurora 16 pretty soon
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What budget are you looking at? The Sony mic would be ideal. Neves can get expensive but if you got the budget go for it. I would suggest the Lynx Aurora AD/DA converters, quite a bit less money than the Rosetta and I would consider them on par with each other.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My vocal chain is
Sony C800G>Neve 1084> La2a>Aurora Lynx

I think you would be very happy with something similar
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
pelluso 2247se
bae 1073
auroara 8
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINKRILLZZ ➑️
pelluso 2247se
bae 1073
auroara 8
he said High end. the peluso is a good mic but is NOT High end
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What type of voices? male/female?
Poorly trained, no training?
People able to project and support? Just people who speak loudly?

Bass, baritone, tenor?

Vocal timber, color, capacity to work a mic?

Are you just going to squash them after the pre or are you looking at letting someone who has some skill allow their wings to spread? (work a mic and use the room to their advantage (what kind of room, a booth?)

If so (working the mic and space), you'd best have the mic and pre that can take someone who has some vocal chops and give them the room that they need.

Are you looking for ultra clean with a colored mic?
A colored mic with a colored pre?
Ultra clean like a C800 and a GML pre?

Have you looked at the Martech? There is a guy in classified who is selling one. It's a 1 channel pre though.

In terms of what I'd call an urban pre. Forward mids, American sound, it's hard to beat the API. An elam 251 with a 512 and an 1176 could work out well for say, an LL Cool J type of thing.

If you're into round, wide then that is another kettle of fish. Geoff Tanner's stuff, Vintech, maybe a TG2, AMS Neve?

The Horsch mic could be interesting. If you are looking at bigger and rounder. Good sounding mic. Fletcher at Mercenary Audio could help you with that.

How much room will the voice take up in the mix? Are you a voice first, everything supports the voice kind if dude. Bring up the voice first and then blend everything around the voice? Are you a guy who is rhythm heavy and wants a mic and pre to cut through the sheer size and density of the mix?

What are your tendencies in listening? What do your ears like? What do you detest?

Are you looking for mid forward like an elam 251? Take an elam and a API 512, Carumba that's a lot of mids!

Rap, well you could get away with just about anything down to a SM7B for a few hundred.

I happen to love ribbon's, The Crowley and Tripp mic's pack a lot of bang for the buck. The AEA 44 is another great ribbon.

If you could be a little more specific that would be great.

Is most of your instrumentation sampled? Besides guitar?

I would agree that the pre AI 87 is a workhorse mic that can cover a lot of ground, or are you looking to cover a very specific patch of ground? I don't happen to like the AI. The M150 can be a good option. I happen to like the 149 tube which some around here hate. You can do alot with that mic. My ears like it, others hate that mic.

I am trying to get an idea as to where your ears are at in terms of 'sculpting', and what you want.

Are you a 'raw' what you hear is what you get live of the floor type of guy. Are you into adding many layers one layer of cake at a time?

There are 100 ways to go and all of them valid.

Any more info that you could offer would allow myself and others to give you a more detailed realm of possibilities. In the end, you'll have to try them out and see what fits best for you in your room.

What does the rest of your rig look like? Converters etc...?

I have rambled enough for one day. Need to sit on the bench for a bit, my head hurts.

Wishing you well,

John
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Get the vintech x81, it has the 1072 class A pre with the 1081 eq section and is cheaper than the neve. check out this shootout article http://www.vintech-audio.com/shootout.html I would also recommend the mytek converters. night and day difference compared to the lynx, they have a/b samples on their website. Also as someone already mentioned the tube tech cl 1b is an outstanding compressor.

C800G>X81>CL 1B>8X192
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Need more info about the construction of the custom booth. Double wall? etc????? How dead is it? How big is it >> dimensions?
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
The 87 is a lot less demanding of great studio acoustics than the Sony.

I'd rent some mikes to check out for a day in your room.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just R&B/Hip Hop vocals and an occasional guitar... why not go for the Rosetta 200 instead of the 8....
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my Superlux CM-H8C's I use the crap out them in my mobile setup. Don't care if they break because they cost pocket change and they sound great.
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Vm-1 > GTCQ > OC-6 > Dream AD-2
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Brauner VMA - > Neve 1081 -> Manley SLAM -> Lavry Gold

(I hope you don't have a wife coz she is going to get half of that too, in the inevitable divorce)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Another very happy Brauner user here: vm1--Chandler TG2 / GML / BAE 312A (depending on the music)--Zener--LavryBlue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the U87 is a speaker mic to me. too tight and clean for music in my opinion.

the C800G will be awesome.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1 over here for one of the Vintech units. I have an X73 and it sounds amazing. I would get the Vintech over the Neve, and then get the Sony and another high end mic like a Manley Gold. Distressor. Choose your conversion, there's a lot of good ones out. That's my 2 cents
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
+ 2 for the Aurora Audio gear!

If you want to go the Neve-ish color route, you should definitely check out the GTQ2.

Also, if you don't already have one, an SM7 is a no brainer.

U87/SM7b ---> GTQ2---> (comp if desired) ---> Lavry AD.

I think you can do this whole chain for less than the price of one C8000G.
Old 9th October 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aodagreat ➑️
I am getting ready to purchase a high end vocal to complete my project production studio and so far this is what I am looking at:

Sony C800G or Neumann U87 mic
Vintech 473 preamp 4-channel preamp
Tube-Tech CL 2A dual compressor
Apogee Rosetta 800 A/D converters

I have a custom isolated vocal booth and I will mostly be recording rap/pop/r&b vocals and I have 3 guitars I will be running it thru as well.So let me know what you guys think about this vocal chain and please post any advice or suggestions

Thanks in Advance!

dfegadVINTECH 473

IF YOUR GOING TO GET AN $8000 MIC YOU MIGHT AS WELL GET THE 1073 CLASSIC MICPRE AND AN 1176 COMPRESSOR
πŸ“ Reply