Quantcast
Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!! - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You find a Neumann in your basement and suddenly everyone online is a Hindu and telling you this: tutt

Okay, just kidding.

This story made me search around in my own basement. I found a vintage Radio Shack mic with a rare 1/8" miniplug. *sigh*

A friend of mine had a similar story. He worked on a garbage route and picked up an old guitar case leaning against the trash bin, thrown away intentionally for maximum karma points. Inside was a 1967 Gibson ES-335. The wood by the bridge is a little warped, but the intonation is fine and it plays like a dream.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable ➑️
Are you trying to create a world of bad karma sir?
Considering your initial response, I think the question is, are you?

To the OP, it's a great find, and one of those stories that you can share with folks over a drink. Make a good faith effort to find the owner, return it, and either way you'll have an awesome story you can use to get folks to buy you drinks with.

/option one: you did the right thing
/option two: you did the right thing and ended up with a nice vintage mic

Considering I met my current gf by doing the right thing when I thought no one was looking, I'm a big fan of it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman ➑️
This story made me search around in my own basement. I found a vintage Radio Shack mic with a rare 1/8" miniplug. *sigh*
You have no idea how lucky you are. I found termites. For the money it eventually cost me to get rid of them, I could have filled another lunchbox.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
sell it to me
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Keep it!
And if somebody comes back to ask about it.
You can say:
I found this thing in the basement. Here you go....

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
With all this talk of Karma - maybe this is karma. Maybe the OP's friend has been such an outstanding human someone's hooked him up with an m49 as a reward? I say hang onto it for a reasonable amount of time, see if the owner asks about it - if they don't and the law is on your side as far as owning things left in a house you buy - you're golden.

Good find.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 ➑️
Considering I met my current gf by doing the right thing when I thought no one was looking, I'm a big fan of it.
Greg,

Is this a juicy story? Does it deserve a dedicated thread?

Please tell.

Love,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
****in' a...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOpAl ➑️
With all this talk of Karma - maybe this is karma. Maybe the OP's friend has been such an outstanding human someone's hooked him up with an m49 as a reward?
That's a great way of looking at it.
JMc
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I found twenty bucks (two fives and a ten) folded up and jamming the ATM machine the other day, that someone before me had tried to deposit. I reached in, pulled out the bills, walked over to a bank employee locking up the front door for the day and handed it to her, explaining where it came from.

It has nothing to do with Karma. It wasn't my money. It was the right thing to do.

Do the right thing and forget it.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If I left an M49 at my old house, you bet I'd be calling the new owners to see if it were still there...especially if I had the PS lying in front of me. If you havn't gotten a call or a knock at the door yet, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that it is abandoned property and was probably just left there because they didn't know what it was or what it was worth.

One man's trash, is another man's m49...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A guy that has no info about him and 14 posts,hmmmmmmmmmmm seems like a somone has some stolen property here, sorry.... post a signature and contact info please. You guys are dumb to tell this mysterious person where to get a power supply. I found a Holmes 10 inch amplifier in the trash...It did work, it had some mouse poop in it,but worked. But you cant really believe this guy... seems far fetched and weird......maybe im nutztutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMc ➑️
I found twenty bucks (two fives and a ten) folded up and jamming the ATM machine the other day, that someone before me had tried to deposit. I reached in, pulled out the bills, walked over to a bank employee locking up the front door for the day and handed it to her, explaining where it came from.

It has nothing to do with Karma. It wasn't my money. It was the right thing to do.

Okay...I have the opposite opinion here.

Someone who tries to jam money BACK INTO an ATM DOES NOT DESERVE THE ****ING MONEY TO BEGIN WITH.

The mic smells stolen because it doesn't have a PSU. End of story. The previous owner didn't move his PSU but not his mic. Doesn't happen like that.

But I don't know who is the bigger idiot...the guy who stole it or the guy that now claims to own the stolen mic whilst posting pictures of the serial number.

Or this whole thread could be a big joke that someone's playing...smells a little like that, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And that money belonged to the bank employee? To the bank itself? No, it was nobody's money until you found it, at which point it was yours and you decided to give it away. You can file a police report saying you found the money and if somebody turns up within a certain time frame and that person can prove he or she is the money jammer, then they are entitled to get the money back. But come on... Jamming money into an ATM? I say **** that guy. Btw, if you're got any more twenties to give out, let me know! I know some people in LA who will gladly pick up.heh

Ed
JMc
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcampos ➑️
And that money belonged to the bank employee? To the bank itself? No, it was nobody's money until you found it, at which point it was yours and you decided to give it away. You can file a police report saying you found the money and if somebody turns up within a certain time frame and that person can prove he or she is the money jammer, then they are entitled to get the money back. But come on... Jamming money into an ATM? I say **** that guy. Btw, if you're got any more twenties to give out, let me know! I know some people in LA who will gladly pick up.heh

Ed
Phhhht... Of course the money doesn't belong to the bank employee. And it wasn't "nobodies" money. It didn't materialize out of nowhere. The bottom line, is that it wasn't my money. It belonged to someone who was at the ATM ahead of me who tried to make a deposit when the machine malfunctioned. Now, when the bank does their audit, the numbers will balance and nobody gets screwed. End of story. It could have been $300 instead of $20. I would have done the same thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Phhhht... Of course the money doesn't belong to the bank employee. And it wasn't "nobodies" money. It didn't materialize out of nowhere. The bottom line, is that it wasn't my money. It belonged to someone who was at the ATM ahead of me who tried to make a deposit when the machine malfunctioned. Now, when the bank does their audit, the numbers will balance and nobody gets screwed. End of story. It could have been $300 instead of $20. I would have done the same thing.
Fair enough. FTR, I wasn't trying to offend you. Just found your reaction intriguing. Have a nice day.

Ed
elz
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i know nothing about mics so it feels like im watching antiques roadshow waiting for the whats it worth bit....
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon ➑️
The mic smells stolen because it doesn't have a PSU. End of story. The previous owner didn't move his PSU but not his mic. Doesn't happen like that.
I lost the power supply to a tube mic last time I moved. Doesn't mean I stole the mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace ➑️
I lost the power supply to a tube mic last time I moved. Doesn't mean I stole the mic.
That's because I found the power supply in my basement heh

Maybe the OP and I need to get together and make a deal

/couldn't resist

And Sean, no juicy story, but I'll be happy to tell you the next time I'm in the shop. Considering the amount and quality of liquor I bring you guys I figure you'll crawl out of the woodwork to listen to it

/maybe I should bring some good cognac next time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 ➑️
That's because I found the power supply in my basement heh

Maybe the OP and I need to get together and make a deal

/couldn't resist

And Sean, no juicy story, but I'll be happy to tell you the next time I'm in the shop. Considering the amount and quality of liquor I bring you guys I figure you'll crawl out of the woodwork to listen to it

/maybe I should bring some good cognac next time.
Greg,

you can't outdo me! Last week it was Hennessy, next time it will be a bottle of King Louis XIII.heh BALLERRRRR!

Ed
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am back

Hello again good people! Glad to se that my thread is getting so much attention. I especially enjoy the peolple who pass moral judgments on me after reading two lines I have written (in my 14th post or whatever, which ofcourse is not enough posts to not be a criminalfuuck).
I enjoy gearslutz very much, and find the info I need whithout posting alot, which some others also might try.. Being a major player here in Norway (currently doing an album with our biggest rock band), I am looking forward to a/b the M49 with my Soundelux E49, which is my go to mic at the moment. I will contact Andreas Grosser very soon.. I sent this thread to my lucky friend, so to clearify, here he is:

"Ok, this is the story:
About two years ago, the wife and I bought a new house on the outskirts of Oslo. The 89 year old man who sold the house was a former electronic engineer retired from the Norwegian Broadcasting Company (NRK). He was still interested in old electronic and mechanical stuff and had a bunch of old radios, clocks and record-players in the basement and in the Attic. When we reached an agreement on the the sale of the house and he told me he couldn't bring all his stuff to their new flat. I told him I was a musician and had plans to build a small studio in the basement. It looked like he liked the idea and asked me if i wanted to keep all the old junk in the basement and Attic. I told him I wanted that and that I could go through it and get rid of what i didn't need. Amazingly enough in a box in the Attic together with record player parts he left me the M-49. He had cleaned out the whole attic except for two boxes of electronics. I found the box after we had moved in and was of course thrilled. Apparently he didn't need it anymore and just wanted to help me with my new studio, I suppose. It was put on a small pedestal made out of mahogany to make it into a sort of a trophy. I'm guessing he must have received it as some sort of retirement gift or trophy at 25 years of service or something with the broadcasting company. (they had a bunch of these mics back in the 60's and 70's and probably wanted to get rid of them at the time). Later I thanked him for the mic. He left it to me willingly and on purpose. Just a nice old guy.... He did get a good price for the house, though..

This explains why the mic doesn't have a power supply and cable.
I have tested the mic at a friends studio where he has a similar mic with cable and power supply and it seems to be in working order.
Guess I had a little more luck with the choice of house to buy than I bargained for..:-)"

So there it is, people! Real estate is the new Vintage King!

Peace.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this stuff does happen.

a friend of mine once got a big bunch of hardware synthesizers from an old film composer who retired and was sick of it. the film composer did knew what he gave away for few bucks, but he was just pleased to see a young musician/ engineer freak out about the gear. and maybe he had enough coins on his bank acount already, too.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace ➑️
Just give them a ring and go over all the junk you found to make sure they didn't mean to keep any of it... you know:

several buckets of paint, a cardboard box in poor condition, a rusty can full of nails, a broken rake, a coke bottle with dirt in it, a spool of moldy kite string, a plastic Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket -- with lid, a blue dress sock with a hole in it, [speaking faster now] a priceless vintage German microphone, two ant traps, the classified ads from a newspaper dated Oct. 12, 1987, a bicycle tire with a nail in it. You didn't need any of that stuff, did you? Okay, great, just wanted to make sure.
LOL!!!! That just made my day. I cant stop laughing. Oh my.....! LOL!!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mystery solved! Enjoy that beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban ➑️
Hello again good people! Glad to se that my thread is getting so much attention. I especially enjoy the peolple who pass moral judgments on me after reading two lines I have written (in my 14th post or whatever, which ofcourse is not enough posts to not be a criminalfuuck).
I enjoy gearslutz very much, and find the info I need whithout posting alot, which some others also might try.. Being a major player here in Norway (currently doing an album with our biggest rock band), I am looking forward to a/b the M49 with my Soundelux E49, which is my go to mic at the moment. I will contact Andreas Grosser very soon.. I sent this thread to my lucky friend, so to clearify, here he is:

"Ok, this is the story:
About two years ago, the wife and I bought a new house on the outskirts of Oslo. The 89 year old man who sold the house was a former electronic engineer retired from the Norwegian Broadcasting Company (NRK). He was still interested in old electronic and mechanical stuff and had a bunch of old radios, clocks and record-players in the basement and in the Attic. When we reached an agreement on the the sale of the house and he told me he couldn't bring all his stuff to their new flat. I told him I was a musician and had plans to build a small studio in the basement. It looked like he liked the idea and asked me if i wanted to keep all the old junk in the basement and Attic. I told him I wanted that and that I could go through it and get rid of what i didn't need. Amazingly enough in a box in the Attic together with record player parts he left me the M-49. He had cleaned out the whole attic except for two boxes of electronics. I found the box after we had moved in and was of course thrilled. Apparently he didn't need it anymore and just wanted to help me with my new studio, I suppose. It was put on a small pedestal made out of mahogany to make it into a sort of a trophy. I'm guessing he must have received it as some sort of retirement gift or trophy at 25 years of service or something with the broadcasting company. (they had a bunch of these mics back in the 60's and 70's and probably wanted to get rid of them at the time). Later I thanked him for the mic. He left it to me willingly and on purpose. Just a nice old guy.... He did get a good price for the house, though..

This explains why the mic doesn't have a power supply and cable.
I have tested the mic at a friends studio where he has a similar mic with cable and power supply and it seems to be in working order.
Guess I had a little more luck with the choice of house to buy than I bargained for..:-)"

So there it is, people! Real estate is the new Vintage King!

Peace.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Wow! What an awesome find. The M49 and M50's are sort of unappreciated outside of the jazz/classical worlds.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Yeah, but on the flip side most people were telling your friend to do pretty much what he did... talk to the owner (albeit, since you didn't have a lot of the salient details, you left a lot to the imagination).

But you see what I was telling you, your friend did the right thing and has a hell of a great story to show for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcampos ➑️
Greg,

you can't outdo me! Last week it was Hennessy, next time it will be a bottle of King Louis XIII.heh BALLERRRRR!

Ed
Well then, let's hope that we're both in Boston sometime down the road. I've got nothing against Hennessy, save for the cost some restaurants charge for a glass.

However, nothing beats a well-made martini IMHO. Considering the logo on my webpage, I think I let that little fact out a bit too much heh

/I wonder what the web designer will come up with for the rest of the site
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could look at it from the other way around,
Karma has smiled to you my friend!
Enjoy your "new" mic thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AWESOME !

thiefs, carma, criminals, fbi, conspiration heh

have fun with THAT mic !

Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
"Ok, this is the story:
blah blah blah, etc., etc., etc.,

Peace.
You really are a boring person. Why on earth would you deprive us of our fun by filling our heads with a true story when you could have told us a good story instead?

I far prefer the idea that the mic was left to you by Satan in a cosmic struggle between good and evil. If you had used the mic, this band you were recording would have gone one to become the biggest band in the world, and everything they played would have gone straight to the top - but only if they came to you to record it. The lyrics would always be inspired and other-worldly. Even the band wouldn't be able to interpret them.

The fans would be the most loyal. They would become powerful as a social force that the music would be banned. After that, they would meet secretly to listen, but they would be discovered and persecuted. As they were being hunted, they would continue to grow stronger. They would turn to violence and overthrow governments in bloody revolution. In short time, fans of the band would rise to the top, and become leaders of their governments. Constitutions would be rewritten with the lyrics of these albums.

At first, it would seem like peace had been restored. But then, people playing other kinds of music would start disappearing. These new demagogues would band together, and persecute anyone who did not turn to the music for inspiration. A black curtain comes down around the world.

The band sees this and are dismayed. They try desperately to turn away. They record a folk record with another producer, but it fails miserably. They receive death threats. Close friends and associates are murdered horrifically. They are told they must produce music like their early material, or everyone around them would be destroyed utterly. The singer attempts suicide more than once, but he fails each time.

Desperate, they decide to disband and go their own ways, but the world shuns them completely. Family and friends refuse to see them. Finally, cold and desperate, they get back together, and ask you to record them.

You don't know what to do. You know what the world has in store for you if you don't give it what it wants. But you're unsure. Things have gone too far. Tentatively, you call the owner of the mic to find it's true origin. He answers the phone.

"Yes, yes. I'll tell you. Come by my house this evening, and I'll tell you everything. I think I'll you'll find the origin quite - how shall I say - interesting."

And then, the truth comes out - the 89 year old man tells you the origin of this old German mic.

"The serial number says it was made in 1955, but the capsule was older. Yes, yes, much older. It was just a prototype. I made it for a man, a man destined for "greatness". And this microphone would bring untold power to anyone who used it -whether they were prepared to wield it or not. Do you want to know the name of the man I made that capsule for?"

"No, I ... I ... don't want to know"

"Surely you must be curious. Don't you want to know why your recordings are also destined for "greatness"? "

[to be continued]
πŸ“ Reply