Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!! - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt ➑️
Has to be stolen, nobody just leaves an M-49 behind .
#935 was built in September 1955 and is currently not registered with Neumann as stolen (which it still could be)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Excellent M49 story...about 30 years ago....

A friend gets called to refurb the audio in a church. Along with other stuff they want to get rid of those damn mics you have to change the tubes in.......

So he swapped two 414's for a pair of consecuatively numbered N49s. He still has them.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Its mine. I forgot it there, one day.

Id like it back. Now let me just give you my adress :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i won't comment on this mic, but i did find some valuable stuff already on attics (some siemens V276a, V276 en V78 pre's in a cardboard box and a box of NOS Telefunken and Siemens tubes still in original package as example) wich the former owner marked a s trash for the junkyard. He was happy i would take it for free... Some ppl just don't know our crazyness about that 'old junk'

I did make some money of it
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Talk about getting a return on an investment. Jesus ****ing Christ!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well.. If you contact the previous house owner, maybe he/she will just say, " since you are so gracious about the mic, just come and get the power supply for it."...heh.. ( yeah,right....) But you would think that if the mic belonged to the previous house owner, that after realizing it was left behind, they would be waiting on the front porch when you got home from work.. ( I would..!....)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you better throw that thing into the pit of mount doom, or we're all cursed!!!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
poor guy, he was so happy to find a mic and now hes gonna feel guilty till the end of his days.

erase that thread, keep the mic, ... the korg karma is way overrated anyway
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks to this here discussion, the previous house owner has learned about the difference between 'old' and 'vintage' by know and just changed plans regarding his summer vacation....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clan ➑️
While i do believe in karma, me thinks you guys are a little to far on the clean side. HE left it goddammit. HE left it.
But did HE leave it on purpose and has HE even noticed it's gone? Moving is very stressful, and time consuming. In the confusion of the move it's easy for something small to be left behind. And as he is getting his new home together his personal studio may be something he isn't even dealing with at the moment.

The current home owner should contact the previous owner and ask if this was something he meant to leave behind.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
while nowhere near as cool as an M49, i decided to rummage in my basement and found a $200 Redco 16ch dsub snake that i totally forgot about some 3 years ago. My console patchbay is very happy now.

this thread is so inspiring!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I once found a german "Filterbank" of unknown origin (it could be from the 30's or 50's, it was impossible to tell) in the throwaway part of an industrial storage room. I modded the thing to accept jacks and gave it to my friend, noise-king Lasse Marhaug. How's that for karma buildup heh

r,
j,
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
But did HE leave it on purpose and has HE even noticed it's gone? Moving is very stressful, and time consuming. In the confusion of the move it's easy for something small to be left behind. And as he is getting his new home together his personal studio may be something he isn't even dealing with at the moment.

The current home owner should contact the previous owner and ask if this was something he meant to leave behind.
Obviously, we will never know. I can think of many more reasons why he left it behind. Why one would contemplate them, i;m not sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Wow I don't ever find that stuff in my basement... I wish!
Do any of you have ANY idea how much I dreamed of finding an old Neve 8068 at a garage sale? Some poor bastard that though it was some piece of junk and sells it for 50 bucks......imagine that, I did (do)!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
anytime i travel through some po-dunk **** hole town i try to stop at all the pawn shops. nothing yet..
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by clan ➑️
Obviously, we will never know. I can think of many more reasons why he left it behind. Why one would contemplate them, i;m not sure.
? The same reason you'd contemplate any moral question, such as why somebody left a wallet behind - or any other item of great value.

Face it, the only reason you don't call the previous owner is because you're afraid of hearing the answer, "Yes please, I'd like my mic back".

It's not like you'd never know why it was left behind. That would only happen if one was too afraid to ask.

This ain't a complicated moral question. Just a difficult one to follow through on.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️

same thing I was thinking. Maybe they told someone to check the house one last time and they didn't.

But got dammmm. Would be nice to find stuff like that. Maybe the previous owner will let them keep it anyway.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
caliban started this post because he wanted to share his joy. People not prepared to accept it simply should avoid the thread and save us their divine intervention in the name of preservation of the moral and good manners.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable ➑️
caliban started this post because he wanted to share his joy. People not prepared to accept it simply should avoid the thread and save us their divine intervention in the name of preservation of the moral and good manners.
Fug ya
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which joy, he was asking where he could get a power supply, that's all...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid ➑️
Did your friend not contact the previous owner to alert
him of leaving behind his microphone ?
Are you crazy? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
exactly heh thumbsup heh technically if it was there when the property was shown and the deal was made it is the buyers mic thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
while nowhere near as cool as an M49, i decided to rummage in my basement and found a $200 Redco 16ch dsub snake that i totally forgot about some 3 years ago. My console patchbay is very happy now.

this thread is so inspiring!
Yeah well I just checked my basement again and didn't find a freggin' thing!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➑️
Which joy, he was asking where he could get a power supply, that's all...
The title says it all:

Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!!*

*Look at all these exclamation marks
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
Fug ya

Are you trying to create a world of bad karma sir?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i just got irritated and checked back my attic and guess what?
i found a full blown 64 channel vintage console studio...
decca trees as far the eye can see...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➑️
i just got irritated and checked back my attic and guess what?
i found a full blown 64 channel vintage console studio...
decca trees as far the eye can see...

haha..yeah I wish I could find a few 31102 strips laying around
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
interesting dynamic in this thread.

i'm sure i could find lot of "friends" who could "find" some rare vintage mics.

of course, once you go down that road it can't be undone, and well i can't turn to a life of crime (till business gets really bad, lets talk in a year ).

to the o.p. if it was really an honest find (he did post detailed pics!), good for them, when i watch antiques roadshow they love stories like this. after all, to me its not like finding a suitcase full of cash, the mic may be beyond repair for all that is known. and it doesn't look like it was missed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Personally, i believe in being an honest person.

That said, the previous owner of the house knows where to find you. If the mic was theirs, they'll be back to collect it, or at least ask. At which point I'd return it.

There's a chance they have no idea it was down there, because it was left by a previous previous ower.

Wait it out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thread inspired me to look in the attic of my house. Tight space, full of knob-and-tube wiring and insulation...

No vintage gear, just Jimmy Hoffa.
πŸ“ Reply