Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Found a Neumann M 49 in bought house!!!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dafo ➑️
if that was in the basement, i can't wait to see what was in the attic.

(i also suggest calling the former owner. Karma)
fxxxxxxxxxxk

there is an 8068 in the attic
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thread has had my jaw on the floor for a few hours...

How do things like this happen?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
Yes, karma may be an issue, although not a legal one. I know I'd have a problem keeping an engagement ring or obvious family heirloom, for instance. I'd be pretty upset about finding a couple dozen partially empty paint cans, though.
You're right in that it's not a legal issue (unless they want to spend the $ to make it one... you know how it is).

I say contact the previous owner and let them know what you found. If the roles were reversed I know that I'd appreciate it (and probably the OP would too). Who knows? The seller might just let you have it, or offer it for a cheap price.

I found some stuff from the previous owner in my current place (nothing like an M49, but obviously worth some $). Found and talked with them, let them know what was up, even offered to drop it off since they weren't that far away and it was a nice day for a drive. They were very happy to hear that it had been found, and that they'd be getting it back.

Got a nice little reward for my good deed. Would have done it regardless.

I know that I'm gettng a little philosophical in saying this, but a lot of what we do is based on our perceptions of other people. At lot of the lack of faith we have in others is based on our observation of how others act. Making a good faith effort to return the mic to the previous owner is a good way to show that there's still good folk out there.

recording folk helping recording folk... that's the gearslut way as far as I'm concerned

/Dr. Phil has nothing on me save for 20 years and an extra 80 lbs.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
(I also suggest calling the former owner. Karma)
Yes... to tell them how rude it was to leave a bunch of junk for you to deal with...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I found a First Act kick drum in the bulk pickup trash over the summer. Not quite the same I guess.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just give them a ring and go over all the junk you found to make sure they didn't mean to keep any of it... you know:

several buckets of paint, a cardboard box in poor condition, a rusty can full of nails, a broken rake, a coke bottle with dirt in it, a spool of moldy kite string, a plastic Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket -- with lid, a blue dress sock with a hole in it, [speaking faster now] a priceless vintage German microphone, two ant traps, the classified ads from a newspaper dated Oct. 12, 1987, a bicycle tire with a nail in it. You didn't need any of that stuff, did you? Okay, great, just wanted to make sure.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace ➑️
Just give them a ring and go over all the junk you found to make sure they didn't mean to keep any of it... you know:

several buckets of paint, a cardboard box in poor condition, a rusty can full of nails, a broken rake, a coke bottle with dirt in it, a spool of moldy kite string, a plastic Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket -- with lid, a blue dress sock with a hole in it, [speaking faster now] a priceless vintage German microphone, two ant traps, the classified ads from a newspaper dated Oct. 12, 1987, a bicycle tire with a nail in it. You didn't need any of that stuff, did you? Okay, great, just wanted to make sure.

Don't say "a priceless vintage German microphone", just say an OLD mic. Didn't lie. LOLOL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➑️
+1

Andreas is the best for vintage Neumann mics and he's very helpful and fair on top of that!
+3

Andreas Grosser would be the only person IΒ΄d trust working on old Neumanns!

If you need his no./address PM me...

what an amazing find!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your find

Just as long as the former owner isn't in the attic...yeah, I watched Medium last night!

Quote:
if that was in the basement, I can't wait to see what was in the attic.

(I also suggest calling the former owner. Karma)
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon ➑️
This thread has had my jaw on the floor for a few hours...

How do things like this happen?
With the real estate market in the pits, some home sellers have been tossing in free cars (Bentleys, Jags, BMWs) to sweeten the deal to potential buyers. Maybe they 'included' the M49 to sweeten the deal.
JMc
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To answer the original question, you can find the power supply where the mic was originally stolen from. People that actually buy these things tend to keep them together.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
exactly , to good to be true .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
Hiya, JJ--

I can guarantee I need to be serviced.

thankyasomuch,

PLOSIDH
Is that right? : )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has to be stolen, nobody just leaves an M-49 behind ; he needs to verify it's legallity.
Put yourself in the position of the actual owner and work from there.
Cheers, Ross.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
,,,if the alleged thief would bother to steal it, why then just leave it behind....?

...but yeah, karma dictates contacting the owner. If they don't jump at the chance to get it back, it's yours! And I'm not sure that it's up to you to explain the potential value of the mic, if they aren't aware of it already.

And besides, I'm assuming you don't even know if it works yet and it could take some $$$ to get it working, so it's not even definite that you are making out like a bandit! (but you probably are you lucky %&#$**)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood ➑️
...but yeah, karma dictates contacting the owner.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood ➑️
,,,if the alleged thief would bother to steal it, why then just leave it behind....?
"'Cause the damned thing won't turn on, and I can't find an adapter for this silly mic cable..." It is unfortunately often true that people steal them, not realizing that you need the power supply too; and then if he couldn't use it, and was afraid to try to sell it or didn't realize what he had, he'd just dump it. Of course, in this case, there may be another explanation, an honest oversight, or an angry wife... Odd that it wasn't in a jewel box either. Who puts an M49 loose in a metal case?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalliburton ➑️
Don't say "a priceless vintage German microphone", just say an OLD mic. Didn't lie. LOLOL
Correction: "weird obsolete microphone. missing power supply. requires professional restoration."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➑️
Is your friend legally the owner of this mic or should he contact the former owner of the house? Or was the house sold with the M49?
I would also check with Neumann, what they know about Nr. 935 (1935?).
from what i understand, when one takes legal possession of a home, they also take legal possession of whatever contents may be in it at the time

that said, i'm going to be buying a house next month, and now you just gave me one more thing to be on the lookout for!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I say contact the previous owner and let them know what you found. If the roles were reversed I know that I'd appreciate it (and probably the OP would too).
yea, well, if the roles were reversed, i would've made damn sure not to leave my vintage neumann in the basement when i moved out!

this is probably one of those deals where some old man owned the thing, then his wife died and had no idea whatsoever what was down there, and just left it there...sort of like that lady in CA who recently found a baseball card from the late 1800's in her attic and was about to sell it off for $20 when she suddenly realized, after a bunch of people offered her a few hundred bucks, that it was probably worth more than that.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
While i do believe in karma, me thinks you guys are a little to far on the clean side. HE left it goddammit. HE left it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clan ➑️
While i do believe in karma, me thinks you guys are a little to far on the clean side. HE left it goddammit. HE left it.
You mean HE ?
It is God's own M49? stike

Anyway, most likely Neumann would know, if anyone misses his M49 Nr. 935.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just a quick question on-topic:
who is god?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that is a dog from behind.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ah yes, of course.

i had it on the tip of my tongue
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I personally wouldn't give a M49 to a dog, so one more argument for keeping the damn thing. You might wanna think again about sendind it to NEumann though
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+4

Andreas Grosser is the man to go to thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was a younger guy I gave guitar lessons to years ago, and he told me "a friend of mine ripped off a sampler from the music store (it was $1500.00 list but I forgot specs) and you can have it for$20.00". I told him 'no it's a Devils bargain, not interested".

I was living with my mom at the time and a couple nights later he shows up at the door "I really need the money and you've got that sampler you've wanted for months".

My MOM, normally the one with the head on straightest, said "c 'mon, it works out for both of you". AND the price was $30 now LOL

You know what I did? I bought it, took it back to the music store. Told the owner "this is in mint condition, stolen recently. I want a deal: you don't ask who ripped you off and I think some impressionable kids will learn a valuable lesson, that it isn't cool to steal".

Well my karma machine was out of tune that day, as I lost $30 (owner didn't pay me back) and the kid went on to rip off more people before becoming a deluxe pill junkie.

I'll get my karma sooner or later though, it's going to be something to do with an API preamp

Word of advice, yeah tell the old owners this is an incredible old mic I've always wanted, and have great plans for. Have you got the power supply around?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
you don;t want karma. Karma needs to be avoided.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMc ➑️
To answer the original question, you can find the power supply where the mic was originally stolen from. People that actually buy these things tend to keep them together.
+1

Or at the former owner of the house...

m
πŸ“ Reply