Got a C800G today. - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Got a C800G today.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️
I can't find a site or phone number for Sony mics, just there electronics company.

?
try this
866-766-9272 (Option 2) during business hours ( 8:30am to 5:00pm )
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool mic. I see why it's popular. It really had a color that brought this girls voice forward. It was killer with my api 312 and La3a

Yeah, got one too. It is really killer with a lot of pre's.
I combine it with these brands Neve/Pacifica/Avalon

Here you go for support. You see the SonyC800G on the
products page. Click Support Center.
Sony | Product Catalog - Sub-Category Landing Page

Western Service Facility
Los Angeles
Sony Service Center
Sony Electronics, Inc.
2706 Media Center Drive; Suite 130
Los Angeles, California 90065
Voice: 323-352-5000
FAX: 323-352-5039
E-mail: [email protected]
Directions: Click here

Cheerio
A
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Congrats on a growing "serious mics" collection.
I always thought the main reason the Sony is so popular with rappers is because it kinda looks like an UZI.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➡️
Congrats on a growing "serious mics" collection.
I always thought the main reason the Sony is so popular with rappers is because it kinda looks like an UZI.
Hahah...actually that was exactly what the singer girl last week said when she stepped up to the mic. hehhehheh

Really funny comment! You know have to figure out what else to contain in your vocal both to make' em feel comfortable. Maybe add this poster:

Got a C800G today.-pandas-need-guns.jpg

Just kiddin'
Lives for gear

Hey James ! good to hear your Mom is doing good!

Anything you need I am here in Miami....any help....
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks

The 251 still has a vintagey vibe to it, not as old school as a 47 but not so clinical as the Sony. So for me I needed a cleaner more clinical sounding mic that doesn't saturate too much when pushed. The C800G seemed to sound nearly the same at all SPL levels, it was kinda freaky actually.

Who in LA can service my C800G?
James, did you have chance to try Brauner VM1 and in particular Klaus Heyne Edition?
It is exactly what you described you like about C800G and likely a little bit more in fashion of 'true reality' (I always had an impression that C800G adds a bit of 'sheen' on top of vocal that although accepted by some as 'pleasant effect' is still kind of artifact.
No doubt why C800G is in demand by particular genres and kind of 'must have' for great mic locker.
Sony mic is known for short life of its tube and real substitutes are only from Sony (what is not bad thing, compared to some vintage mics).

Also, Tracy Korby did fantastic job with creating his C800G head to KAT system, IMO together with U67 it's best part of KAT (closest to originals), specially with various NOS selected tubes (Mullards for vintage sounding caspsules and Telefunken/Amperex for clean).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
James, did you have chance to try Brauner VM1 and in particular Klaus Heyne Edition?
It is exactly what you described you like about C800G and likely a little bit more in fashion of 'true reality' (I always had an impression that C800G adds a bit of 'sheen' on top of vocal that although accepted by some as 'pleasant effect' is still kind of artifact.
No doubt why C800G is in demand by particular genres and kind of 'must have' for great mic locker.
Sony mic is known for short life of its tube and real substitutes are only from Sony (what is not bad thing, compared to some vintage mics).

Also, Tracy Korby did fantastic job with creating his C800G head to KAT system, IMO together with U67 it's best part of KAT (closest to originals), specially with various NOS selected tubes (Mullards for vintage sounding caspsules and Telefunken/Amperex for clean).
really? that artifact you are talking about sounded more present to me on Brauner mics then on the Sony. I found them Limit arsh where the Sony is bright without the Ear piercing frequencies ( which is also the problem with the VTB once stacked for example).
as far as the KAT no doubt it sounds great but not exactly like a C800G. Trust me...I Looked EVERYWHERE for a cheaper alternative ...for years... and after all NOTHING sounds like it...I had to get the real deal once and for all. you want a NEVE ? get a NEVE you want a Sony ? get a SONY you want a U47 with VF 14 untouched in mint condition?...good luck!!!heh
Lives for gear

I like that kind of airy and tight focused top end of the C800G...hard to described is like you put a super cool saturation box only in the very high mids and top end and gives you that nice crispy crunchy top end that bites!!!!!

hard to describe,,,but way cool ...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy ➡️
Yep, it is such a "no brainer". Can't imagine how a U47 ended up being auditioned, much less being actually used for K.D. Lang's voice on "Crying" with Roy Orbison. What a horrible sounding vocal.

Oh, and maybe you should tell Ella Fitzgerald's engineer and Billy Holiday's engineer what terrible mistakes they made too.
I'd have to listen to the KD version of "Crying." But knowing her voice, a U47 is not my first choice for her, unless it's the Klaus one that everybody in town rents from Audio FX. That mic I would use on her. And if the track was cut in LA, it's a distinct possibility that mic was used.

Why was a U47 used on Ella? Because that's what they had.

I'll tell you a quick story: Recently, I was listening to Crime of the Century, and I'm listening to Hodgson's vocal thinking, "Wow, this sounds like a U67." A week later, I run into Ken Scott, and I asked him what mic he used on that record. He said, "At Olympic, it was always either a U67, C12a, or a 47, which by that time was not working. So, yes, we used the 67."

So, the lesson there is, why did they use the 67 on Roger? Because it was the one they had. I suspect the same is true for Ella.

Yeah, I know they used a 47 on Norah Jones, and a few other people, and sometimes you have one where there's an old M7 that has ripened in a certain way that makes the highs really sweet, and isn't all thick like a 47 with a healthy capsule is.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➡️
really? that artifact you are talking about sounded more present to me on Brauner mics then on the Sony.
It's completelly OK that you like it, probably as music you like is quite different of music I like
C800G was among first really high-end mics I intent to buy some years ago (mostly due to fame and hype around it), actually I had several very good offers during years and tried it in various projetcs, consecutively I didn't look for alternatives.
In general this mic simply didn't do it for me.
On the other hand, I was continuously in search for clean and neutral sounding mic without 'enhancing quality'.
DPA 4041 delivers clarity and resolution, but sound slightly sterile and dry, Sony, being mostly clean adds something to source so it always sound 'Sonified' to my ears. Only Brauner&Heyne made it 100% without slightest harshness and changing anything to higher frequencies.
For aforesaid reasons I sold DPA 4041 and didn't add Sony to arsenal.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey James,

Nice mic collection! What are you liking better now for male rock vocals - the 251c or C-800g?

FYI, an awesome vocal tone was Daughtry's album - C800G->Quad Eight->CL1B - very close to what you've got when you're using the Pacifica. I'm wondering how the 251c / Bock 151 measures up/compares for rock.

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
It's completelly OK that you like it, probably as music you like is quite different of music I like
C800G was among first really high-end mics I intent to buy some years ago (mostly due to fame and hype around it), actually I had several very good offers during years and tried it in various projetcs, consecutively I didn't look for alternatives.
In general this mic simply didn't do it for me.
On the other hand, I was continuously in search for clean and neutral sounding mic without 'enhancing quality'.
DPA 4041 delivers clarity and resolution, but sound slightly sterile and dry, Sony, being mostly clean adds something to source so it always sound 'Sonified' to my ears. Only Brauner&Heyne made it 100% without slightest harshness and changing anything to higher frequencies.
For aforesaid reasons I sold DPA 4041 and didn't add Sony to arsenal.

Sure!! for example in my "area" of music owning a U47 would be a total waist, I wuld almost never use it.(still would love to own one though
but yes the Sony works great for what I do but I'm sure it's a bit too clean for other stuff (heavy metal??heh)
So I think you have a nice Mic locker right ? which one would YOU pick as your MUST HAVE?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
man, i´m waiting for a reasonable priced C800 for weeks...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah yeah I know. My mic collection has gotten crazy for a guy with mid sized studio:

Wagner U47w
Sony C800G
Neumann U67
Neumann U87
Soundelux E251c

among other things.

The 800 was best with the Pacifica and API. We plugged it into the CL1b at the end of the night and it was just sick how good it sounded. It sounded like a Kelly Clarkson record, incredible detail on top. I used the La3a for most of the night because the mic was new to me and was not familiar with it and the La3a is a no brainer comp, the CL1b can be a bit tricky and I didn't want to deal with it at first because the mic showed up in the middle of a somewhat stressful session so I didn't want to be f'n around to much. But when I did plug it in at the end, everyone in the room gasped, it was that good sounding. That CL1b is a sick puppy for pop.
Now you need an Avalon 737!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey thrill,

What is it about omni tht makes it sound good? Honestly, I don't think I've ever used omni wih vocals.
Less proximity effect.

In the right acoustic environment, omni always sounds better and more natural. Unfortunately it's not always an option.

Al Schmidt, from what I hear, is big on omni.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
(Misse the mom tangen - glad to hear she's ok)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Congrats on the C800G

I own u67 and u87, many times c800g wins. I love neumanns but c800g is a real great great great mic¡¡¡¡¡¡
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Slutty Lu-go-go

Quote:
Who in LA can service my C800G?

I haven't a clue, but I would love to take that wonderful Wagner if you don't mind! heh heh heh

BTW: May I ask you how much the 800G was?

New or pre-owned?

Congrats slutty Lu-go-go!

Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Yeah, I know they used a 47 on Norah Jones
Actually, everything I've seen claims she uses an M49. This is something I had been curious about because the sound of her voice, particularly on the "Feels Like Home" CD is as close to perfect as I've ever heard.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➡️
So I think you have a nice Mic locker right ? which one would YOU pick as your MUST HAVE?
My mic locker is still short of Song C800Gheh

Anyway, I would be pressed hard not to take top condition, original speced ELAM 251 as one that I must have from all mics (for typical rock-pop production I usually do), but overal Brauner/Heyne mic is the best mic so far in terms of capturing reality, space, atmosphere and adding nothing on that. This might be this mic's biggest drawback, too, as being so close to truth it reveals all nuances some mics hide marvelously.
In direct comparison on vocals, I don't doubt colored mics will always win attention vs. such clean mic, but point is that it's quite easy to colour such mic to any extent, but not to do the opposite.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler ➡️
I haven't a clue, but I would love to take that wonderful Wagner if you don't mind! heh heh heh

BTW: May I ask you how much the 800G was?

New or pre-owned?

Congrats slutty Lu-go-go!

Used in mint condition $4300. Flight case, cable, PS, shockmount, paperwork. Mom seems ok so I'm going back to LA this afternoon and will be tracking with it over the weekend.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
Actually, everything I've seen claims she uses an M49. This is something I had been curious about because the sound of her voice, particularly on the "Feels Like Home" CD is as close to perfect as I've ever heard.

Yes , it's a M49 , confirmed by the engineer How They Got That Sound

Sounds like it too . Sorry for OT .
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Used in mint condition $4300. Flight case, cable, PS, shockmount, paperwork.
That sounds like a good deal... thumbsup

Right now I'm curious how the black "Brauner Valvet X" sounds.
I read more color than the VM1...

The 800G is certainly a nice modern mic.

Quote:
Mom seems ok so I'm going back to LA this afternoon and will be tracking with it over the weekend.

Glad to hear that!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@James:

Your mic locker inspires me to work harder everyday so that I can get some of that awesome gear!

...bastard! j/k
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
JJ i find my U47 to work like a charm on many female vocalists.. i also have a Tele USA Ela M 251 which sometimes works better and sometimes not..

the Ela M251 which considered to be THE female vocal mic works better than the U47 on some male vocalists.. it's a matter of a specific voice and performance,
the U47 adds more body to female vocalists which very often helps to give the voc channel its place in the arrangement

would LOVE to try the Sony !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Used in mint condition $4300
that sounds about right. i think i paid 3950 for mine similar condition abut 5 years ago, now the yen is stronger.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez ➡️
man, i´m waiting for a reasonable priced C800 for weeks...
huh....there will neaver be reasonable price because the mic is WAY to overpriced. Paid $3900 ($4000 with shipping). I think it was a really good deal as the mic was in absolutely great condition! The lowest price someone ever wrote on GS was $3200. I hardly believe he really got one for this price.

Cheers,
A
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
brauner valvet x is a differned beast ,i tryd it once with a neve portico silk mode

thats why i bought a brauner vma then,

but i found miself too use the vma button on most time.

and still might buy a c800g
if the pricerange second hand is around 2400 euros too have that sonysh rnb trademark sound (europ marked9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler ➡️

Right now I'm curious how the black "Brauner Valvet X" sounds.
I read more color than the VM1...

The 800G is certainly a nice modern mic.

Glad to hear that!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia ➡️
Yes , it's a M49 , confirmed by the engineer How They Got That Sound

Sounds like it too . Sorry for OT .
Oh, cool! I just remember that when they were selling off the collection of U47s from Sorcerer, they said one of the 47s were used on her. A 49 actually makes much more sense to me. Thanks for that info.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark ➡️
brauner valvet x is a differned beast ,i tryd it once with a neve portico silk mode

thats why i bought a brauner vma then,

but i found miself too use the vma button on most time.

and still might buy a c800g
if the pricerange second hand is around 2400 euros too have that sonysh rnb trademark sound (europ marked9

Thanks wildpark,

I don't want to go off topic that's why I have created a new thread:

Bauner Valvet X

- Today I read about the Sony 800G:

They (Scott Storch, Dr. Dre etc.) use it a lot for hip-hop except Jay-Z. He uses a U47...

The 800G has a similar capsule like a U67. (I'm surprised...)
The mic also works undervoltage and produces some kind of self-compression
which is great for R'n'B and Hip Hop.

I don't know if this all is true since I don't work in this genre.

📝 Reply