The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Got a C800G today.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
And for good measure if you try the new pop filter from Pete's Place, it completely takes away any proximity effect problem Thrill was talking about. It's without a doubt the best pop filter I have ever used.
hang on there, so you're saying that it's actually an acoustic filter as well as a pop filter?

if it affects the proximity effect of a mic surely it must be filtering the frequencies passing through it, no?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
congrats beautiful sounding mic !

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys... I think.

My mom just had a stroke, leaving for Fort Lauderdale, say a prayer. I'm really scared.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
James, Sorry to hear that.

Play with the toys later.

Family is number 1. Never forget that.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, hey, sorry about that, James.

I'll be sending good thoughts her way.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was just going to say this is one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read on Gearslutz, which it is, but instead I'll say a prayer for your mom and family. Your priorities are obviously in the proper order.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy ➑️
Recently took a C800G and a killer sounding Neumann U47 (vf14, m7) to a friend's place to see which sounded best for a young female singer he was going to produce.

The Sony stayed for the duration of the sessions. It had clarity, detail and a modern sound without eq that the 47 just couldn't match.
I would almost never pick a U47 for a female, in the first place. That's a no brainer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
Thanks guys... I think.

My mom just had a stroke, leaving for Fort Lauderdale, say a prayer. I'm really scared.
Holy ****! Dude, let me know if you need anything. You have my number.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sorry to hear that

Quote:
Thanks guys... I think.

Take care of yourself and your mom!!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sending a prayer to you and your family...hang in there James.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
best of luck James...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
I would almost never pick a U47 for a female, in the first place. That's a no brainer.
Yep, it is such a "no brainer". Can't imagine how a U47 ended up being auditioned, much less being actually used for K.D. Lang's voice on "Crying" with Roy Orbison. What a horrible sounding vocal.

Oh, and maybe you should tell Ella Fitzgerald's engineer and Billy Holiday's engineer what terrible mistakes they made too.

edit:

Damn, James, just saw the post about your mom. I hope things turn out well for her and your family.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy ➑️
Oh, and maybe you should tell Ella Fitzgerald's engineer and Billy Holiday's engineer what terrible mistakes they made too.

OK. Fair shot. heh The ladies used ribbons a great deal, but I think the 47 saw a fair amount of use on their vox later on, particularly Ella's.

Speaking of Ella, check out this page of the Nelson Riddle site with a devastating Ella tune you can listen to and/or download. Fantastic arrangement, fantastic players, fantastic room...fantastic recording.

Cheers.

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
certainly puts gear and what's important in perspective. I sincerely hope she is well. I look after my father, who is 92 (on top of my running the studio / engineering and producing / doing all the other stuff I am involved with). My Mom has passed, but I was able to look after her until she did . . . gear and having the supposed newest greatest 'thing' is way down the priority list in the big picture isn't it? This business is just what we do for a living, it certainly isn't who we are and we aren't what we own. Again, I hope she recovers nicely. Good you are there for her.

Quote:
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Good luck James.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
gonna say a prayer for your mom
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I live vicariously through your microphone purchases James. LOL!
I was absolutely stoked to get my U67 back from Gunter. (filters removed) WOW!
Then I read your U47w purchase and was blown away. Now the Sony. Holy ****!
When is your Rode NT2 coming? lol!heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➑️
Congrats James!!
For R&B or pop vocal production the best chain is:
Sony C800G > Neve 1073 > Tube Tech CL-1B.
Poor Man's Alternative:
AKG C414B XL-II > Vintech X73i > Summit TLA-100A

P.S. Man, I pray she's OK James.

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys. I'm here in Florida, just left the hospital, she seems ok, almost strangley ok.

Thanks for all the kind words. I told her she interupted my C800G thread, she laughed, as a good gearslutter mom should.heh

Her name is Mary Lugo, we call her Sluggo! She's a tough New York broad from the old days. She'll be back bustin' balls full force in no time I hope.

Thanks
James
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet ➑️
OK. Fair shot. heh The ladies used ribbons a great deal, but I think the 47 saw a fair amount of use on their vox later on, particularly Ella's.

Speaking of Ella, check out this page of the Nelson Riddle site with a devastating Ella tune you can listen to and/or download. Fantastic arrangement, fantastic players, fantastic room...fantastic recording.

Cheers.

jesus fing christ.. that sounds SO damn good.. as fully 3d as it can possibly get. was that a 47 on her? do you know what was used to track the band?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
phew...glad all is well james
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the update!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quality prayers for Mom "FL" Lugo

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
Quality prayers for Mom "FL" Lugo
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's beautiful. Great news.

Cheers.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet ➑️
That's beautiful. Great news.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, just got off the phone with her she sounds great, headin' to see her now.

Sincerely,
Mom 'FL' Lugo's son
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glad ur mom is good, family is Number 1 !!!...YES EVEN BEFORE GEAR!!! heh
about that SONY as I mentioned to you when you were asking about a mic for your "taylor Swift" kind of singer, I was certain you would be pleased with it
After using for one for a while at other studios, I'm getting one too Should be here soon now. The question is!!! I was hesitating between the Sonyc and the Bock 251. Since you have both how would you describe them compaired to another? which one would be your pick for Pop/RnB male vocals?
Did you get a new tube in your C 800? if the mic has a few years it would be a good Idea as they are known to "EAT" tubes.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
Glad ur mom is good, family is Number 1 !!!...YES EVEN BEFORE GEAR!!! heh
about that SONY as I mentioned to you when you were asking about a mic for your "taylor Swift" kind of singer, I was certain you would be pleased with it
After using for one for a while at other studios, I'm getting one too Should be here soon now. The question is!!! I was hesitating between the Sonyc and the Bock 251. Since you have both how would you describe them compaired to another? which one would be your pick for Pop/RnB male vocals?
Did you get a new tube in your C 800? if the mic has a few years it would be a good Idea as they are known to "EAT" tubes.
Thanks

Yeah I'm gonna get it services as soon as I get home. I think from what I've heard so far the Sony is clean, clean, clean, which is what I want. The 251 still has a vintagey vibe to it, not as old school as a 47 but not so clinical as the Sony. So for me I needed a cleaner more clinical sounding mic that doesn't saturate too much when pushed. The C800G seemed to sound nearly the same at all SPL levels, it was kinda freaky actually.

Who in LA can service my C800G?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DOn't really know where in LA but you should send it directly to Sony, I have a few friends who did and they got great work done plus it's really important that you get a real 6AU6 "SONY" Tube. part of the Sound of the mic is the fact that Sony makes a 6AU6 version specificaly for it. Trying to replace it with regular 6AU6 will not give you the True C800G experience.

Thanks for your review about the 251. I'm into a clean Mic as well since I can always get more Vibe from Pre and Comp.
for me it is:
C800G>Neve 1084> La2a UTC tran.
the Neve and La2a definitaly have more then enough color.
(ps: my VTB is now ...for sale heh)

🎧 15 years
I can't find a site or phone number for Sony mics, just there electronics company.

?
πŸ“ Reply