Quantcast
SSL X-Rack or Distressors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL X-Rack or Distressors
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SSL X-Rack or Distressors

I'm planning to track and mix smaller projects at my personal studio and larger projects at a commercial studio. Maybe do some live sampling, etc.. I originally planned to purchase two Distressors and one stereo eq. Maybe two Neve Portico 5033 or one API 5500. Although, after doing some research and talking to a salesman. I was offered an SSL X-Rack for an incredible deal. If I do purchase the SSL X Rack, It would be loaded with four Dynamics and four EQ modules. This will be my last purchase for hardware, do to space and electrical reasons. Would purchasing a X-Rack be more usable compared to using a pair of Distressors and stereo eq?

I'm currently tracking with an API 7600 and Chandler TG2.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get the X-Rack! That SSL X-Rack package goes for a little over 8k and the Distressors for around 2 1/2k for the pair. No brainer. Get the X-Rack!!!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an xrack with comps and really like what it brings to the mix...thinkng of the summing part of it again though,, might be cool... but summing is bit of a trojan horse financially
Old 3rd February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phoenix ➡️
Would purchasing a X-Rack be more usable compared to using a pair of Distressors and stereo eq?

I'm currently tracking with an API 7600 and Chandler TG2.
Usable would define both options I would think, no? Perhaps EQ is more useable for you in mixing and tracking, which makes sense. The X-Rack is pretty amazing stuff, and they do make a Dynamics Module which can be added later; but of course as others pointed out the choice in $$ is way beyond comparison.

Why not a pair of EL9 Mike-E's to add a completely different Stereo Tracking Texture to what you currently have, with Compression and Tape Saturation RIGHT ON BOARD; so you DON"T have to relay on OTB later. The Last poster mentioned a reference to summing and how far it can go. He is very right. In my experience, if you plan to mix with a computer, you'd better record the sound that you want in the end. My 2 Cents anyway.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for X-rack. I like all the systems options. It adds up in cost but you have a lot of options that you can use in a lot of flexible ways.
📝 Reply