Quantcast
PCM96 surround or Bricasti - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PCM96 surround or Bricasti
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Soooooo........I bought both (I got the non-surround PCM96). Wow are these ever nice!

Dean
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar ➡️
If you are looking for reverbs like the Bricasti or Lexicon you also should consider the Yardstick. With the new ones like 2492 and 2496 (also 2498) it is possible to have several plug ins on the same units. I tested the last version in complex mode and have to say I´m overwelmed. It is not only very natural sounding, it is also very dense and you can hear realisitc interfernces which happen also in real big rooms like.

The new versions of the Yardstick have been 'vaporware' for a long, long time. I mean years. It'll be a miracle if they ever show up!!

Plus it'll be hard to beat Bricasti at this game......

Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
There are many pieces of gear and experience that you pick up over time that slowly add up to become essential parts of your working method and 'tone' - obviously there are many 'Eureka' moments associated with both things and of course there will continue to be - but from a hardware perspective I have yet to experience as strong a gearshift in the sound of my work at this stage than when I auditioned a Bricasti.

I'm definately still in the honeymoon phase, but it's turning out to be a looooong deep honeymoon

DR
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard ➡️
Soooooo........I bought both (I got the non-surround PCM96). Wow are these ever nice!

Dean
Congrats! Both are primo reverbs.
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
stike
I don't know if I'm a loner here but I own both the units, Bricasti M7 and Lex PCM96 soon to be upgrading to surround for me. I'm buying The surround model..I love the Bricasti for the softness and gel but the PCM96 is one nice machine. It has many sounds and capable of Top of the line reverb better than my 960l which is gone.Versatility to the max, all you could ask for in a reverb box plus all the other bonus effects..

The Bricasti is one algo and its been used like a *****.. The PCM Sounds incredible and is my desert Island reverb. I'm sure Bricasti's next upgrade will be huge so I wait. Until then I'm floored by the PCM96. I've owned them all rev 4000 and 6000,960l Yamaha ProR3 Etc. which is a sleeper for small rooms if you can find one...Never did a plug-in though. Lexicon did some hard work on this box. I love it. I cant say ones better than the other because they all have a use. The PCM is fun to use. Bricasti Is a mastering reverb for me..I'm sure the update for the Bricasti will force my foot in my mouth...I wont say one is better but one has more options right now

Old 28th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I also own and use both M7 and PCM96 together with a few other crunchy units for fx reverb like the Vermona Retroverb and such.

In my situation the unit i always go to first is the Bricasti. The Lex comes next. Always. Actually, i can't wait to get a second M7. It keeps blowing me away every time i switch it on.

I know i should dig into the PCM a bit more though...

mx/
Old 3rd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
anyone else wanna chime in?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➡️
The new versions of the Yardstick have been 'vaporware' for a long, long time. I mean years. It'll be a miracle if they ever show up!!

Plus it'll be hard to beat Bricasti at this game......

I've actually had a Yardstick for about a year for evaluation. I might have the only one in the US. Gotham Audio was going to import them but ran into problems with the manufacturer, so I'm not sure if they will ever be readily available. My unit was glitchy at first, there is no Mac support and only comes with 16 presets, with 2 being useful to me. It is also, if I remember, about $4500.00 US. I could be a very cool unit if it had more useful presets and was priced about $2500.

I also have the Bricasti and a PCM96. They both sound very good. I have to agree with some previous posters, the Bricasti seems to blend in more. The 96 seems more present, which makes them a pretty good combination.

I wish there was a way to save the Bricasti presets with Protools. Maybe on V2.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For me the Bricasti is all I want to use, it just sounds beautiful, but everyone has different needs and tastes, so you really need to try them out yourself, that’s what I did and the Bricasti was the one for me.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Ive got both too[m7 & 96] and def getting another Bricasti.
V 2.0 is gonna be a a no brainer.
now if someone could just nail a BX 20 i'd be in verb heaven

price/sound differences aside is the differences btw Build quality on these two units:

The 96 feels just a tad cheap and plasticy[especially the knobs] next to the super sexy/solid machined aluminum/thick steel chassis M7
Old 4th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
The 96 feels just a tad cheap and plasticy[especially the knobs] next to the super sexy/solid machined aluminum/thick steel chassis M7
I'll bet a comparison of the entire boxes - inside and out - would show similar differences with the Bricasti being more impressive throughout. But Lexicon had to save money somewhere. It's just one of the advantages of going with a product from a smaller company like Bricasti, although I don't mind the knobs and switched at all. It sounds great and I don't even pay attention to the unit itself, although I'm running in FW mode so I don't have to touch it at all.
📝 Reply