Quantcast
Is it bad to leave studio monitors turned on? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it bad to leave studio monitors turned on?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Green or not green, I'm still paying for my electricity and I decide if I want to use/waste it. Both schools of thought are extreme and the gospel is somewhere in the middle! heh
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
TanTan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My Genelecs are on for about 5 years.. no problems..
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➑️
Both schools of thought are extreme and the gospel is somewhere in the middle! heh
As a moderate gear slut, I hope we can keep the world a good place to live, even if I turn my amp to 11

By keeping our leaders to the promise of investing in green technology (alternative energy) we can crank that amp also in the future.

If Al Gore has helped pave the way for this, bless his heart, but booohh his private jet.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
As a moderate gear slut, I hope we can keep the world a good place to live, even if I turn my amp to 11

By keeping our leaders to the promise of investing in green technology (alternative energy) we can crank that amp also in the future.

If Al Gore has helped pave the way for this, bless his heart, but booohh his private jet.
Hear hear

I agree.

Some of the 'green environmentalists' just don't think things through enough. I come across alot of 'green' advice that to me makes no sense at all -- and in fact some things like electric cars create more harm to the planet than benefits (batteries = how green is that? Making those uses toxic stuff.. and gettin rid of them creates toxic waste! heh Green my ass)....
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Forgot to even add my thoughts on the OT.

Yes, I keep my Barefoots on all the time.........
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
gorillainthemix's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
lol, we have some treehuggers on board
no problem, didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, and by no means did I try to hijack the thread. I just thought the solution of ecological crises linked to music studio's turning off their speakers was a bit far-fetched.
However, you are so right, we might just HAVE a problem with global warming: some say it stopped in 1998. Numerous studies point this out, or do the research yourself. We are on the way down again, so you can stop worrying about your precious ice in Greenland, George. It's Al "Mr. I need 3 30" Apple Displays to read my newspaper" Gore and his afficionados who are ruining the world with misinformation.

ok, so back on topic for me:
I leave my speakers on, the rest goes off. There, happy now?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Nut
 
smokapot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ok Im gonna go home and take all my energy wasting appliances (that work) and replace them with all new ones that use less energy. then Im gonna put all the old stuff in a landfill, where it can leach toxic materials into the water supply.At the same time all the new ones I buy will have to be produced causing more pollution.

Then im gonna buy those expensive mercury filled flourescent bulbs that unless you LEAVE THEM ON ALL THE TIME they will burn out in way less time than an incandescent. which means you need to throw them in the landfill. At the same time all the new ones I buy will have to be produced causing more pollution.

So GeorgeHayduke do you think when the ice melts, the oceans are going to rise by hundreds of feet? I did the math and yeah if the world was a solid rock maybe, but it aint. the weight of the oceans and ice will balance out. The part that will raise the ocean level will be temperature change.

Plants grow faster with elevated levels of CO2 and they give off Oxygen.

I do think we should try to keep polution out of the atmosphere, but CO2 aint pollution.

Also I would like to know how you feel about fireworks? do you boycott them as I do ?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokapot ➑️
y will have to be produced causing more pollution.

So GeorgeHayduke do you think when the ice melts, the oceans are going to rise by hundreds of feet? I did the math and yeah if the world was a solid rock maybe, but it aint. the weight of the oceans and ice will balance out. The part that will raise the ocean level will be temperature change.
the oceans would raise if all the ice melted.... because MOST of the ice is in the polar regions kilometres deep and above sea level. However - they're NO going to melt.... so....


If you leave stuff on here you get a gentle warning. do it again you get a stern warning. Keep doing it - you get fired.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Lumin One's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
i turn mine off after every session. helps with the heat issue

also, for you global warming believers, you do realize that other planets in our solar system are experiencing rising temperatures, right? what impact is man having on the temperature of mars? somethin to think about

peace
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
ElevenShadows's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokapot ➑️
I must be a freak cause I turn almost everything off in my house and studio when Im not using it or sleeping (my kids though.....arrg).
I guess we're all freaks. I do this too. I've been turning off my amps, monitors, mic preamps, whatever ever since I can remember. Some of the stuff is 20 years old, and I've never had a problem with things wearing out. I'm not into wasting energy, especially when I don't see a compelling reason to do so. I'm not gonna tell other people what to do because I'm not into that; I'm just doing what seems best at my studio, so if someone says that their equipment lasts longer or has a compelling reason to do so, great.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
smokapot wrote
"Ok Im gonna go home and take all my energy wasting appliances (that work) and replace them with all new ones that use less energy. then Im gonna put all the old stuff in a landfill, where it can leach toxic materials into the water supply.At the same time all the new ones I buy will have to be produced causing more pollution."

I get your point, it is a good point. It is a big step to make our civilization "in step" with its foundation. It takes several small steps to get there. But next time you get a new fridge, and you will, because it will finally break beyond repair, the new one will be better and it will be more energy effective. Luckily, most parts in the refrigerator can be recycled, if we assure that we have facilities to recycle it. That is standard practice where I live now. And when we have alternative energy (which could have had 50 years ago, if the few but big oil/automobile companies hadn't had more clout than all the pro bono greeen organizations together) it won't be a big deal recycling it, pollution wise. But I never said this was easy. It is not.
EDIT: But really, its the small things that add up, in the private sphere. I think it really depends on leadership. Only so much can be done by personal habits like turning off lights etc. Collectively it adds up to a lot in the end!
Energy ressource planning and goal setting, which really changes things, can only be done by the top leader with crew. I think the U.S. just made a big collective step, and I hope others will follow. Here, the current govenment sucks, but seems finally to get going.

smokapot wrote
"So GeorgeHayduke do you think when the ice melts, the oceans are going to rise by hundreds of feet? I did the math and yeah if the world was a solid rock maybe, but it aint. the weight of the oceans and ice will balance out. The part that will raise the ocean level will be temperature change."

To be honest, my biggest concern is not sea levels, despite living by the ocean. Maybe the land will return. My big sorrow is species eradication and desertification. Whether from Gods hand or not, I think that life on Earth is precious. And life A is in dire straits if life B, C and D are gone. That is ecology's lesson. Remember, the human is at the top of the food chain, but we ultimately rely on microscopic algae and crustaceans.
But yes, sea levels are rising. I have not done the math. The wikipedia listing, there are lots of sources: Current sea level rise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

smokapot wrote
"Plants grow faster with elevated levels of CO2 and they give off Oxygen.

I do think we should try to keep polution out of the atmosphere, but CO2 aint pollution."
I mostly agree. Except CO2 is being sucked up by the oceans, lowering acidic levels, which potentially kills the crustaceans I mentioned before.

smokapot wrote
"Also I would like to know how you feel about fireworks? do you boycott them as I do ?"
I think they are beautyful, but I don't burn them myself. They are also full of lead, and place that nicely in our atmosphere and environment. I never spoil the party though

Many have said that our civilization cannot manage its own ability, because there is noone to make the rational choices. Its just a system that works to enhance growth. Think H. D. Thoreau. I agree with him. But its also a democracy and people around the world are voting for this now. Its GREAT!
There is nothing bad about technology and "progress", but we are only learning with hindsight what technology has left in the mix. We have been lacking a sub to tell us that some things go on unheard and may finally affect the whole mix in a bad way. We just plugged in that sub, in the public domain, as happended around Earth Day in 1970. The scientific "evil green" environmentlists have been listening to it all along, very frustrated that everyones been on the Ipod.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
lol, we have some treehuggers on board
You should try it, man, it'll make you feel connected thumbsup
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokapot ➑️
Think off the weight of ice on Greenland.... Its pushing down on the crust of the earth under greenland. As it melts, Greenland rises and the ocean receives the water, offsetting the displacement of the weight of ice that was on Greenland.

To me this is why the oceans will not rise, at least not nearly as much as Al says.
.
"to you"???

the geological record is quite clear: when the ice melts, the oceans rise. Your intuitive understanding of how Greenland "floats" notwithstanding.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
Spare me the drama, please. Leaving your monitors on will not cause the world to crumble with indifference.
To even use the world's energy "crisis" as an argument to turn your monitors off is ludicrous, ..
there is nothing lamer than someone who is doing nothing telling someone else who is doing a little that it's not enough
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
Your intuitive understanding of how Greenland "floats" notwithstanding.
Yeah....I didn't get it either.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac ➑️
ALWAYS SWITCH OFF - There is a global energy problem going on and doing things like leaving unused electronics on the whole time will just help compound the problem years down the line. Modern gear is designed to be switched on and off.
Which is not caused by leaving monitors on, let's not get crazy.

Mine have been on for years.

And I had a C24 for years, and I finally turned it off one day, and when I turned it on the next morning, the power supply blew. So much for modern capacitors.

When is the last time you saw a lightbulb blow while it was on?

TH
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
Which is not caused by leaving monitors on, let's not get crazy.

Mine have been on for years.

And I had a C24 for years, and I finally turned it off one day, and when I turned it on the next morning, the power supply blew. So much for modern capacitors.

When is the last time you saw a lightbulb blow while it was on?

TH
sometimes the power blowout depends on the power grid you got in your city. not pointing that's the reason, but just sayin'... in a case like this, having a UPS with pure-sine wave will help reduce the chance of gear blowing, while still be able to save energy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy ➑️
My HR824's don't do that. Hmmmm...
look in the back of your Mackie's. the power should be a 3-way that goes "on - auto - off". put it on Auto, then Mackie's will turn on as long as there's signal. when no signal, it'll shut off automatically after 5~10min.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
When is the last time you saw a lightbulb blow while it was on?

TH
Isn't that kinda like the saying, "It's always in the last place you look"...

Since you stop looking after you find it, it's always going to be in the last place you look. heh

The light's always on when it blows otherwise it'd not have blown!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Nut
 
Phiktion's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I got this thing called a "kill-a-watt" that you can plug in between a device and the outlet that tells you how many watts something is consuming at any given time. My monitors suck about 75 watts at idle. I dunno if the world is crumbling or not, but 5 bucks a month is worth me flipping them off when not in use.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
Spare me the drama, please. Leaving your monitors on will not cause the world to crumble with indifference.
To even use the world's energy "crisis" as an argument to turn your monitors off is ludicrous, imo. Almost as ludicrous as Al Gore's fantasy movie.
Most electricity is generated by burning coal or oil or gas. So leave them on and take the blame for the heat wave in Australia and soon at your house!

Plus you get to pay for it too. It ain't a fantasy!

L
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #51
Gear Nut
 
audiogeekzine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Isn't that kinda like the saying, "It's always in the last place you look"...

Since you stop looking after you find it, it's always going to be in the last place you look. heh

The light's always on when it blows otherwise it'd not have blown!

I think the point he's making is bulbs usually blow when you flip the switch.


This thread is silly
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
gorillainthemix's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
there is nothing lamer than someone who is doing nothing telling someone else who is doing a little that it's not enough
I hope you're not talking about me. If so, fuuckfuuck and read my 3rd post, which (funny enough) nobody responded to.
All I'm saying is that it's no biggie to the Earth's climate if you leave your speakers on, but of course you have a right to disagree.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeekzine ➑️
I think the point he's making is bulbs usually blow when you flip the switch.


This thread is silly
The point I was making is that means the light was 'on' when it blew, thereby the light is always on when it blows. It's just a bit of ironic humour, that's all.

I guess some folks break lights by jostling them when they're off too
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
I hope you're not talking about me. If so, fuuckfuuck and read my 3rd post, which (funny enough) nobody responded to.
All I'm saying is that it's no biggie to the Earth's climate if you leave your speakers on, but of course you have a right to disagree.
You mean, the world is cooling? The new Ice Age? Honestly, I don't know enough about that, but last I checked up on the theory it looked like speculation. (But an opportune theory for people like you, as can be witnessed by the proliferation of the theory on websites that also feature details on the Illuminati and such). But who really knows?

What I know is this: Ice is melting rapidly, and funny things are happening to seasons etc. And the reasons can be explained. You can probably feel this yourself, if you ever go outside?

Furthermore, an argument doesn't necessarily become credible because you "scientifically" support it with several fuuckfuuckfuuck That's common knowledge not rocket science.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #55
Gear Addict
 
Marineville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I only turn my studio off when I go on holiday, and every time I come back and turn it on something blows and has to be repaired. It's usually one of the Lexicons (both blew at the same time once) but my Tube Tech MEC-1A blew last time, along with the sub for my K+H 0300Ds.

Costs me far more to get these things repaired than it costs in electricity so I never turn them off.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Maniac
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville ➑️
I only turn my studio off when I go on holiday, and every time I come back and turn it on something blows and has to be repaired. It's usually one of the Lexicons (both blew at the same time once) but my Tube Tech MEC-1A blew last time, along with the sub for my K+H 0300Ds.
Maybe the fuse is not appropriate, for example someone replaced it (time ago) with a Fast fuse instead a Slow blow fuse, and so every time it blows again. Try to replace it with a same rate, slower type fuse.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
gorillainthemix's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
You mean, the world is cooling? The new Ice Age? Honestly, I don't know enough about that, but last I checked up on the theory it looked like speculation. (But an opportune theory for people like you, as can be witnessed by the proliferation of the theory on websites that also feature details on the Illuminati and such). But who really knows?

What I know is this: Ice is melting rapidly, and funny things are happening to seasons etc. And the reasons can be explained. You can probably feel this yourself, if you ever go outside?

Furthermore, an argument doesn't necessarily become credible because you "scientifically" support it with several fuuckfuuckfuuck That's common knowledge not rocket science.
Well, that wasn't a scientific argument (don't know how you got that notion anyway) but my response to people judging me over the internet.

By no means are these articles speculations: 4 of the 5 major scientific institutions monitoring the Earth's climate agree on this. Now, if you are interested in the Illuminati, that's you....I like to keep myself busy with tangibles.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #58
Gear Nut
 
smokapot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey Greogrehayduke, great debate skills you have and very civil as well.
I have hugged a tree before and it was borderline a religeous experince given my mental state at the time hehe.

Joeq and Jimbo here is a link with some info on where I got the idea about greenland rising. I think if you read it you will be like "oh I didn't think of that"
Shrinking ice means Greenland is rising fast - environment - 02 November 2007 - New Scientist

I aslo think that Antarctica is rising as well.

The Earth is not in a tub contained (if it were then yeah the oceans would rise like 200 feet or more). It is a sphere with a liquid center and malliable mantle/crust. more water in the ocean pushes down on the crust forcing other areas of crust to rise. Im not saying it good, just trying to show how the fear mongers (e.g. Al Gore) use information to scare people into submission.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Honestly, I'd like to see any credible references you might be able to link to, because the issue is obviously interesting.

Actually, this is an old issue/theory, at least since the 70'ies, but so far, things seem to get hotter.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Nut
 
smokapot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In the seventies there was fearmongering about global cooling. That is because we are due for another iceage.

Also before every iceage the temp of the earth spikes.

People in general are bad at extrapolation, remember the Jetsons? that was suposed to be in the year 2062. remember the robot? how bout the music he he. In "Star trek the next generation", have you seen the "laptop" that they have? if you haven't it is big.....too big im afraid for the time period represented.

Its like if you have a blindfold on and your on a rollercoster...as you go up you can tell your going up but you dont know for how long. Then when your on the way down you dont know when it will stop and it would be really easy to imagine that you will die at the ground, but you didnt know you were gonna head back up safely....all indication was you were going down fast and splat ground
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 163 views: 14510
Avatar for Ethan Winer
Ethan Winer 4th February 2009
replies: 60 views: 18669
Avatar for AV-Sauer
AV-Sauer 29th September 2010
replies: 3 views: 1001
Avatar for bmss
bmss 24th July 2011
replies: 52 views: 8287
Avatar for stvnm
stvnm 26th February 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump