Quantcast
neve fidelis - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neve fidelis
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
neve fidelis

i heard this new neve "fidelis" mic pre was unveiled at NAMM. i know it's got 4 channels, multiple silk controls and huge transformers. does anyone have any further useful info about it? i wonder if they'll make it in single and dual channel models as well. i own several 5012s and 5032s, as well as vintage 1073s, 81s, 84s... and so on. bit of a neve enthusiast you might say, haha.

personally, i think the pre in the 50xx portico series blows away the old 10xx designs. i know some people prefer the dark "heft" and harmonic distortion of the 1073 and 1084 -- and don't get me wrong, i've loved it for ages and always will -- but you can dial that right into the 5032s w/ EQ and silk in (if you know what you're doing). even more so if you use the 5042 tape unit and/or an E.L. Fatso. i typically don't though, because i feel the new preamp design is far superior to the old; you get all the same depth and roundness, but with a larger soundscape (almost feels panoramic) and more detailed highs and mids. granted, it's only my opinon, but i think a lot of folks are living in the past when it comes to neve preamps. many studios are missing out on vastly improved technology and spending horrifying amounts of money to get what is, at best, a pretty great preamp; but on the other hand, a lot of pros are finally coming around to the newer designs. the public reception to the neve portico series has always been a bit of a mystery to me. i think in a way they shot themselves in the foot initially with the goofy, multi-color faceplate and odd power supply. add that to the fact that they were suspiciously affordable at a time when neve hype was beginning its long, irritating peak. most never even heard a 10xx pre, but decided they wanted one because of what they read in Mix magazine or a forum like this. there are countless preamps out there that are arguably much better for a fraction of the price. high end gear as fashion, i suppose.

eh, went off on a tangent there, sorry. so regarding this new fidelis, i'm thinking that if one of the new silk options engages a 10xx series duplicate it'll be super handy having all the neve colors in one box. i doubt that's the case though. but hey, at least the dumb people can like rupert's new designs now that he's charging $5000 per unit - well jeez, it MUST be good then! haha
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not much info yet, but I'm saving some money for a rack to go with some UBK fatso mods
Attached Thumbnails
neve fidelis-fidelisnevepre.jpg  
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➑️
not much info yet, but I'm saving some money for a rack to go with some UBK fatso mods
That thing is freakin beautiful!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
is that built in conversion I see? and may be even input impedance selection? (actually I found a photo, it looks like HPF selection)..

narco
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Wow

High Voltage I see.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
intriguing.

i'd be interested in knowing if these are basically porticos with added features and bigger transformers, or if there's major circuit differences. anyone care to shed a light on this?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, Stonkers want to know!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i remember seeing someone from RND posting in the 5088 thread - it'd be nice if he could pop in on this one. we want to know things!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Okay, here's what I found out:

-ships in April

-Mic Amp is entirely Class A and is based on the same +/-45v technology that we developed for the 5088 Mixer

-four flavors of silk (one of which should suit 10xx vintage series needs)

-features Rupert's custom input and output transformers, a proprietary A/D, and remote control capabilities, and carefully chosen high-pass filters

-designed to provide a new benchmark, while incorporating all of the time honored sounds and approaches of the classics

-essentially double the rail voltage of the older and reissue designs

official info to drop in a few weeks. this sounds pretty nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds great, but also sounds like i should stop thinking about it asap.

if a 2 channel version minus the AD bit came out, i think i'd make the effort and be all over it...but with those features and number of channels, i'm sure i'll have to pass.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➑️

-ships in April

-Mic Amp is entirely Class A and is based on the same +/-45v technology that we developed for the 5088 Mixer

-features Rupert's custom input and output transformers, a proprietary A/D, and remote control capabilities, and carefully chosen high-pass filters

-designed to provide a new benchmark, while incorporating all of the time honored sounds and approaches of the classics

Thanks. A lot of that info is also what I was told when I was at NAMM.

For the four Silk Modes, it was something like one the same as the Portico, one more blatantly distorted, one with more bass response, and the other I don't remember. High quality A/D converters, about $4800, ships in April. According to Craig Hutchinson, engineer (formerly with Manley Labs), it was an all-new transformer design, different and noticeably larger than the one in the Portico.

Eleven Shadows Travels: NAMMbulating NAMM Anaheim 2009 (very short and definitely not comprehensive photos from Winter NAMM 2009).
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i didn't go to NAMM, but that's the website where i first learned of this unit. the info i posted came from josh at RNS. i guess that's all they're telling the public right now, but i can't wait to find out more.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

-ships in April

Ruppert & Hutch will deliver what might be the best of both world.
Finally why not?
Who knows better than Ruppert what is original Neve and it's probably no brainer to replicate it.
Price point around 1000$ per ch. incl. high-end conversion would be real anti-crisis deal.
BTW I was never die hard fan of 1073 much, but as flavor on pre it would be worth.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i didn't go to NAMM, but that's the website where i first learned of this unit. the info i posted came from josh at RNS. i guess that's all they're telling the public right now, but i can't wait to find out more.
Oh, cool...that's actually my website!!!

Between this and the Nord Electro 3...gotta play the lottery, I guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think I just wet my pants....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
in my e-mail to RNS, i made it clear that i love the 5012 pre and the vintage 10xx series very much and would like something that encompassed all of them, in order to have all the major neve colors in one box. in josh's response, he alluded to one of the silk settings being just what i'm looking for (the 1073/84 sound). that's really all i'm after in a pre these days; a neve unit with all my favorite sounds. because, honestly, my 1970s modules aren't in great shape and while i'll never sell them, they will be getting sent away for repair very soon.... and it would be nice to have "that sound"
in a machine right there with the new 5012 sound and whatever else mr. neve has got up his sleeve for the fidelis.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hope they make a 2-channel version.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➑️
As well as Portico module form factor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am very excited about this product but I am concerned that the addition of AD converters, while nice and potentially very convenient for some users, is somewhat redundant (and costly) considering most professional users who can afford $4000 pre amps probably have converters already. Though I still want one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
As well as Portico module form factor.
+2!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
wow

looks sick!!! so who wants to loan me 4500
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
hope they will make the ad as an optional add-on such as the focusrite 828 preamps...and not included in the price...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i was gonna buy another ams 1084 module this week, but i may hold off now. if the fidelis sounds like i think it will, i'd much rather have four channels of this.

🎧 10 years
Quote:

-ships in April

Hmm... Call me a cynic Mr Gloves, but "we"...? dfegad

Just an enthusiast or a bit closer to the company than you are letting on?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Or he may have copied and pasted the email, who knows....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
Hmm... Call me a cynic Mr Gloves, but "we"...? dfegad

Just an enthusiast or a bit closer to the company than you are letting on?
not at all; just a fellow neve fan (preamps especially).... although, now i do see why you might think that. all the info i have on the fidelis actually came from someone named josh at RNS - i did a public inquiry e-mail on the RNS site. i was hoping he'd post here, as he seems to have done in the past, so we could learn a bit more about this. nothing yet.

i really am looking forward to this though, as my two all-time favorite mic preamps were designed by rupert neve (1081 & 5012). i love the 1073/84 too, just not as much. this thing looks like a BEAST though and if there's a machine that covers all the colors in the neve rainbow, i want one. i'm not exactly counting on that though, because it's technically not a reissue of anything..... which is fine by me, i've got all the vintage modules and i like his new stuff better anyway.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenShadows ➑️
Or he may have copied and pasted the email, who knows....
i actually didn't copy and paste the e-mail, just the important bits. this is the exact e-mail:

Hi,
There will be some official information released in the the next 2-4 weeks, as we are in the process of confirming details. We expect to be shipping in April, and the Mic Amp is entirely Class A and is based on the same +/-45v technology that we developed for the 5088 Mixer.

In addition to the 4 flavors of silk (I'm sure one of which will suit your needs), the Fidelice Quad Mic Amp features Rupert's custom input and output transformers, a proprietary A/D, and remote control capabilities, and carefully chosen high-pass filters. This mic amp has been designed to provide a new benchmark, while incorporating all of the time honored sounds and approaches of the classics. This should not however in any way be confused with a reissue, as it is essentially double the rail voltage of those older and reissue designs, and has a solidity to it that is both familiar and somehow refreshing.

Hold on to your money for a few more weeks, and I think that we'll have something that will suit your needs very well indeed.

I'm glad to hear that you are so happy with the Portico Pres as well.

Best regards,

As soon as we have confirmed a few details we will be able to supply pricing and complete details.

Josh Thomas
Director of Sales
(contact info)

i omitted his contact info, because i don't know if he wants it posted on a forum. i doubt it matters, but since i can't say for sure, i cut it out. btw- i noticed he spelled it "fidelice," which i don't understand since the pic of the unit reads differently. maybe they're changing it.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Usually Josh doesn't like posting of e-mail correspondence with him, but this time, well, you might be rewarded for that heh

Quote:
i actually didn't copy and paste the e-mail, just the important bits. this is the exact e-mail:

Hi,
There will be some official information released in the the next 2-4 weeks, as we are in the process of confirming details. We expect to be shipping in April, and the Mic Amp is entirely Class A and is based on the same +/-45v technology that we developed for the 5088 Mixer.

In addition to the 4 flavors of silk (I'm sure one of which will suit your needs), the Fidelice Quad Mic Amp features Rupert's custom input and output transformers, a proprietary A/D, and remote control capabilities, and carefully chosen high-pass filters. This mic amp has been designed to provide a new benchmark, while incorporating all of the time honored sounds and approaches of the classics. This should not however in any way be confused with a reissue, as it is essentially double the rail voltage of those older and reissue designs, and has a solidity to it that is both familiar and somehow refreshing.

Hold on to your money for a few more weeks, and I think that we'll have something that will suit your needs very well indeed.

I'm glad to hear that you are so happy with the Portico Pres as well.

Best regards,

As soon as we have confirmed a few details we will be able to supply pricing and complete details.

Josh Thomas
Director of Sales
(contact info)

i omitted his contact info, because i don't know if he wants it posted on a forum. i doubt it matters, but since i can't say for sure, i cut it out. btw- i noticed he spelled it "fidelice," which i don't understand since the pic of the unit reads differently. maybe they're changing it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
Usually Josh doesn't like posting of e-mail correspondence with him, but this time, well, you might be rewarded for that heh
this chain could prevent people from buying other gear they've had their eye on, filling them with such gearlust, such utter sluttiness, that they put everything else on hold until they hear this thing in action! that's what i'm doing. so if you're reading this, josh, and i did, in fact, step out of line... i'm truly, truly sorry... but come april when the fidelis is released and you have 75 gearslutz spending their entire tax return on your new preamp, let me know how you feel about it then.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
this chain could prevent people from buying other gear they've had their eye on, filling them with such gearlust, such utter sluttiness, that they put everything else on hold until they hear this thing in action! that's what i'm doing. so if you're reading this, josh, and i did, in fact, step out of line... i'm truly, truly sorry... but come april when the fidelis is released and you have 75 gearslutz spending their entire tax return on your new preamp, let me know how you feel about it then.
I bet now you're on safe side
πŸ“ Reply