Quantcast
neve fidelis - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neve fidelis
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
honestly, i wish they'd give us a little bit more info about this thing; even just an official, detailed description of the basic pre sound and the silk modes... stuff i'm sure they were telling people at NAMM anyway. normally, i'd be a lot be more patient, but i'm extra eager since i was already on the fence about a few different preamps and the fidelis announcement changed everything. i wasn't expecting something like this to come up and now i have to take a step back and reconsider my next move. given the fact that i need at least 10 channels of whatever i end up getting, i must proceed appropriately.

up to this point, we've really only been given some basic specs and noncommittal hints. obviously i'm aware of the high quality performance of this unit and the 4 different silk modes it offers, but does anyone know if the fidelis will include an exact replica of the 5012's two distinct sounds (regular and silk), thereby making the 50xx series preamp redundant? and i know there is one silk that supposedly covers the 1073/84 territory, but again, is it enough to make the vintage gear redundant? the latter is obviously far more unrealistic than the former, but seriously, with neve you just never know! good ol' rupert might surprise everyone and deliver a mic pre that has a revolutionary new design, while offering honest-to-goodness clones of his greatest accomplishments like only he can. imagine: the ultimate new design plus a no-B.S. "best of neve" preamp collection. maybe i'm just dreaming, but boy oh boy, what a dream.......
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
obviously i'm aware of the high quality performance of this unit and the 4 different silk modes it offers, but does anyone know if the fidelis will include an exact replica of the 5012's two distinct sounds (regular and silk), thereby making the 50xx series preamp redundant?
One of the Silk Modes is the same as the Portico. They also have a clean mode since the Silk is switchable.

What I don't know is whether these sound exactly the same given that there's a different, larger transformer than the Portico transformer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
up to this point, we've really only been given some basic specs and noncommittal hints. obviously i'm aware of the high quality performance of this unit and the 4 different silk modes it offers, but does anyone know if the fidelis will include an exact replica of the 5012's two distinct sounds (regular and silk), thereby making the 50xx series preamp redundant? and i know there is one silk that supposedly covers the 1073/84 territory, but again, is it enough to make the vintage gear redundant? the latter is obviously far more unrealistic than the former, but seriously, with neve you just never know! good ol' rupert might surprise everyone and deliver a mic pre that has a revolutionary new design, while offering honest-to-goodness clones of his greatest accomplishments like only he can. imagine: the ultimate new design plus a no-B.S. "best of neve" preamp collection. maybe i'm just dreaming, but boy oh boy, what a dream.......
I know what you mean. Everyone's dream is a unit that could cover both 10xx and Portico grounds.
You have to accept that the 10xx preamps are a standard that many clients ask for. I know this is very debatable...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I read a lot and don't post frequently, but this product has me thinking of what gear I can sell!

heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i'm dying to see inside this beast.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It won't be long now I assure you.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was going to say that I found it peculiar that their new flagship mic pre can't be part of their console, but in their recent news email:

"With January in the history books, 2009 is shaping up to be a banner year for Rupert Neve Designs. The 5088 continues to be a resounding success with its unprecedented sound quality, the 5015 mic pre / compressor is finding its place as a go to channel strip, and the new Fidelice Class of modules will be officially announced in the upcoming weeks."

Does this mean there will be portico format units of these things?

narco
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric ➡️
I think he's closer to 85. I think that's why they hired Hutch.
Waitaminnit... Can he still hear?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax ➡️
Apparently he can still hear and design!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narco ➡️
I was going to say that I found it peculiar that their new flagship mic pre can't be part of their console, but in their recent news email:

"With January in the history books, 2009 is shaping up to be a banner year for Rupert Neve Designs. The 5088 continues to be a resounding success with its unprecedented sound quality, the 5015 mic pre / compressor is finding its place as a go to channel strip, and the new Fidelice Class of modules will be officially announced in the upcoming weeks."

Does this mean there will be portico format units of these things?

narco
This is a Remote Controllable Mic Amp, and Ideally would live in the Live Room, and not in the Penthouse. There is significant benefit to be had from bringing the mic level signals up to line level to drive them the distance back to the control room.

Josh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax ➡️
Yes, and as importantly he listens!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What's the deal with this thing? Does it even exist? The RND website has made no effort to promote it whatsoever. vaaaaaaaporware
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror ➡️
What's the deal with this thing? Does it even exist? The RND website has made no effort to promote it whatsoever. vaaaaaaaporware
Vaporware, a term for software, is when someone advertises it but doesn't follow suit; here, we have an RND rep who has said that it's coming out in April and people who have seen it and hasn't even been advertised yet.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I know... some updates would be nice though. Maybe a picture or two. Earlier in the chain it states that info will follow shortly, but still there's been nothing. It's not even mentioned on their website! tutt
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yup.

Ouch. My last post has got to be one of the *worst* sentences I've written in a while. Or at least today! :D
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We're waiting for the final version knobs which should be with us any day, and then we'll post pix and put a page on the site. There were a couple of pics that were posted earlier.

If you have any specific questions, I'll answer them if I can. I am traveling this week, so it may be a day or 2 before I can reply.

We're still looking to ship in April.

Best,

Josh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRND ➡️
We're waiting for the final version knobs which should be with us any day, and then we'll post pix and put a page on the site. There were a couple of pics that were posted earlier.

If you have any specific questions, I'll answer them if I can. I am traveling this week, so it may be a day or 2 before I can reply.

We're still looking to ship in April.

Best,

Josh
Thank you for the info, Josh. Can't wait.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
transformers

Is the input transformer setup like the design in the portico

How about some internal pictures.....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8068 ➡️
It's a different transformer.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8068 ➡️

How about some internal pictures.....
No, the transformers are a new design, and the circuity is much closer to the 5088 than the Portico. It runs on +/-45v rails and is class A discrete.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
No, the transformers are a new design, and the circuity is much closer to the 5088 than the Portico. It runs on +/-45v rails and is class A discrete.
Man, that should be real killer
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bumping this up.
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Musik Messe

We are still waiting for the final knobs for proper photography, but everything should be in place and we should have a final-ish unit in Frankfurt with production units shipping 6-8 weeks thereafter.

Here is some additional information. Thanks for your patience!

Josh

Rupert Neve Designs releases Fidelice: High Voltage and Remote Quad Pre
At this year’s Music Messe in Frankfurt, Germany, Rupert Neve Design’s is officially debuting the all-new Fidelice: High Volatge and Remote Quad Pre, with first shipments expected in early May, 2009. Combining the pinnacle of analogue design, the convenience and accuracy of a multi-source remote control, and the unequalled purity of Rupert Neve Designs digital conversion technology, Fidelice sets a new standard for professional recording equipment.

Based on the revolutionary, class A and high-voltage circuit topology of the 5088 mixer, the Fidelice Quad Pre utilizes custom transformers and discrete op-amps to achieve its classic blend of clarity and sweetness. Each microphone preamplifier includes 72dB of gain, phase reverse, 48V phantom power, a variable HPF, 12 point LED metering, a 1/4 inch DI and the new multi-position silk control. When the multi-position silk is engaged, four distinct settings add varying degrees of warmth and presence to the source material, reminiscent of Mr.Rupert Neve’s vintage desgins.
As one of the core facilities of Fidelice modules, the new multi-source remote protocol can be controlled by Yamaha digital consoles, Digidesign controllers, as well as most DAW’s. Unlike many other digitally controlled units, every control parameter on the Quad Pre, has a dedicated knob or switch, to ensure straight forward use when operated manually.

In addition to the unrivaled analogue signal paths and digital control, the Fidelice Quad Pre, is also the first module to feature Rupert Neve Designs all new analogue to digital conversion technology. Developed over several years by Rupert Neve Designs’ William “Hutch” Hutchison, the four channels of mastering-grade conversion feature sample rates up to 192k, ultra-low jitter word clock inputs and outputs as well as AES digital outputs capable of driving thousands of feet of cable. These new converter designs capture the nuanced harmonic structure of instruments and voices, and are capable of reprocuding the vitality and naturalness associated with the highest quality analogue recordings.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Gotta hear that thing now. It sounds like a great piece. Do the convertors compare to anything else on the market sound wise or are they something new? Or are they the same convertors used in the 1073 dpa?

Looks like another great piece from RND.

PEACE!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor ➡️
Gotta hear that thing now. It sounds like a great piece. Do the convertors compare to anything else on the market sound wise or are they something new? Or are they the same convertors used in the 1073 dpa?

Looks like another great piece from RND.

PEACE!
Nothing to do with the dpa.

the Fidelice Quad Pre, is also the first module to feature Rupert Neve Designs all new analogue to digital conversion technology. Developed over several years by Rupert Neve Designs’ William “Hutch” Hutchison
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yep I should have had more coffee before posting that one. That's my story anyway, and I am sticking with it.
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
When in doubt, always add a double espresso!
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Dan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We are still waiting for the final knobs for proper photography, but everything should be in place and we should have a final-ish unit in Frankfurt with production units shipping 6-8 weeks thereafter.

Here is some additional information. Thanks for your patience!

Josh

Rupert Neve Designs releases Fidelice: High Voltage and Remote Quad Pre
At this year’s Music Messe in Frankfurt, Germany, Rupert Neve Design’s is officially debuting the all-new Fidelice: High Volatge and Remote Quad Pre, with first shipments expected in early May, 2009. Combining the pinnacle of analogue design, the convenience and accuracy of a multi-source remote control, and the unequalled purity of Rupert Neve Designs digital conversion technology, Fidelice sets a new standard for professional recording equipment.

Based on the revolutionary, class A and high-voltage circuit topology of the 5088 mixer, the Fidelice Quad Pre utilizes custom transformers and discrete op-amps to achieve its classic blend of clarity and sweetness. Each microphone preamplifier includes 72dB of gain, phase reverse, 48V phantom power, a variable HPF, 12 point LED metering, a 1/4 inch DI and the new multi-position silk control. When the multi-position silk is engaged, four distinct settings add varying degrees of warmth and presence to the source material, reminiscent of Mr.Rupert Neve’s vintage desgins.
As one of the core facilities of Fidelice modules, the new multi-source remote protocol can be controlled by Yamaha digital consoles, Digidesign controllers, as well as most DAW’s. Unlike many other digitally controlled units, every control parameter on the Quad Pre, has a dedicated knob or switch, to ensure straight forward use when operated manually.

In addition to the unrivaled analogue signal paths and digital control, the Fidelice Quad Pre, is also the first module to feature Rupert Neve Designs all new analogue to digital conversion technology. Developed over several years by Rupert Neve Designs’ William “Hutch” Hutchison, the four channels of mastering-grade conversion feature sample rates up to 192k, ultra-low jitter word clock inputs and outputs as well as AES digital outputs capable of driving thousands of feet of cable. These new converter designs capture the nuanced harmonic structure of instruments and voices, and are capable of reprocuding the vitality and naturalness associated with the highest quality analogue recordings.
Was the spelling of the name changed?
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan ➡️
Was the spelling of the name changed?
What's the difference? The product doesn't exist anyway. haha, jk
Old 19th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yes, official spelling is Fidelice. I'll be at Musik Messe in Frankfurt with a quad mic amp, and we took some pix earlier this week and I should be able to post something in the next day or 2. It took forever for the custom knobs.

Josh
📝 Reply