Quantcast
neve fidelis - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neve fidelis
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i wish they'd hurry up and put something - anything - on the RND site. something to whet my appetite; something to stop me from buying the EL9 mike-e that i'm about to order, because i'm a slut with no self-control!!!
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The fidelis channel

I'm waiting for the FIDELIS CHANNEL STRIP

Wouldn't it be lovely to have this mic pre with a DI better than the Great River NV built right into the front pannel, plus something like a super duper version of the 5043 compressor and the 5033 equalizer all inside of one 2U rackspace?heh

The definitive NEVE STRIP of all time!!!!!

And what a thing of beauty that would be to leave us with.thumbsup

Rupert's final work of art. After all, the dude is like 76 years old or somethin.stike

Rupert...If you build it, they will come.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland ➑️
I'm waiting for the FIDELIS CHANNEL STRIP

Wouldn't it be lovely to have this mic pre with a DI better than the Great River NV built right into the front pannel, plus something like a super duper version of the 5043 compressor and the 5033 equalizer all inside of one 2U rackspace?heh

The definitive NEVE STRIP of all time!!!!!

And what a thing of beauty that would be to leave us with.thumbsup

Rupert's final work of art. After all, the dude is like 76 years old or somethin.stike

I think he's closer to 85. I think that's why they hired Hutch.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
phew! i managed to control myself with the mike-e, but that thing really does look great and i know i'll end up getting it just for the sake of having an empirical labs pre!! so you think the fidelis will be rupert's grand statement? his ultimate work of art? now i'm thinking along those lines too and I sure hope you're right. honestly, i don't think there's ever been a neve pre that hasn't blown me away. i can't wait to hear this thing handle a stereo lead vocal. i'm already fantasizing about running four mics into the fidelis, recording a string quartet. or maybe some sweet female background vocals.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland ➑️
pun intended?

If this had variable impedance I'd be hanging out to try it..

narco
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
why is variable impedance so important to you? (btw- i'm not being a jerk, i'm genuinely wondering)
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Rupert is 82, and his birthday is July 31st.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Same birthday as J.K. Rowling, Wesley Snipes, and Bill Berry...what a day!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenShadows ➑️
Thanks. A lot of that info is also what I was told when I was at NAMM.

For the four Silk Modes, it was something like one the same as the Portico, one more blatantly distorted, one with more bass response, and the other I don't remember. High quality A/D converters, about $4800, ships in April. According to Craig Hutchinson, engineer (formerly with Manley Labs), it was an all-new transformer design, different and noticeably larger than the one in the Portico.

Eleven Shadows Travels: NAMMbulating NAMM Anaheim 2009 (very short and definitely not comprehensive photos from Winter NAMM 2009).
look at those knobs shine.... mmmmmmmm....... fills me with sluttiness. those things look like you could crank the hell out of 'em; a heavy, slow, powerful turn, i guarantee. i'm not a patient man when it comes to stuff like this. the money i was about to spend on a new ams 1073 module (literally the day i saw this) is burning a crazy hole in my pocket. i really wish RND would post some info on their site about this. what are the controls on the far right (after the 4 pre controls)? is there a de-esser on this thing? are there going to be fidelis comps and eq's? a fidelis console? is the portico line being abandoned?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➑️
is there a de-esser on this thing? are there going to be fidelis comps and eq's? a fidelis console? so many questions!!!!!!
dude relax, yer nuts! heh
Yeah, the Fidel(is) console is due 2010 and comes in 56 ch buckets only and retails at $899,000.00

hahaha
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Great sucker punch Lindell. lol!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
what are the controls on the far right (after the 4 pre controls)? is there a de-esser on this thing? are there going to be fidelis comps and eq's? a fidelis console? is the portico line being abandoned?
- I don't remember (sorry, I have an awful memory sometimes) but will try and look at my original photo, which is considerably larger, and post back here.

- I don't recall anyone saying anything about a de-esser, and would seriously doubt it.

- I was told that this was the first of a new line. What those other ones are, I don't know. I believe that eventually, like the Portico line, you can use them together, but don't know this for a fact. I thought that's what Tristan said, though, but don't know 100% for sure and don't wish to spread inaccurate information on the internet.

- I don't know if the Portico line is being abandoned, but if it's still selling well, then it seems to me that it'd be foolish to abandon it. No mention was made of abandoning the Portico line, and seeing as RND were displaying all their Portico goodies at NAMM, it's doubtful that they'd go away any time soon!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell ➑️
dude relax, yer nuts! heh
Yeah, the Fidel(is) console is due 2010 and comes in 56 ch buckets only and retails at $899,000.00
hahaha, that's good.........
and yes, i am nuts. that's because i was literally hours away from pulling the trigger on a new ams 1073 module (maybe even a pair) when this was announced - so i had to completely STOP in action and reconsider.

so i guess you could say i have a case of gear-related blue balls.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
smd

Is this piece based on SMD ? Is there transistors, large resistors, capacitors ?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
why is variable impedance so important to you? (btw- i'm not being a jerk, i'm genuinely wondering)
for ribbon mics, which I love

narco
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Can you say FFFFFFFFFocusrite? That looks like the son of Daddy BLUE and Mommy RED (yeah, i know who did focusrite in the first place..)

Anyway, this looks very interesting, am looking forward to check it out.

btw, I wish GML did a revision to its 8304 pre to resemble soemthing like that: with some more options and with all controls on the front panel
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The controls to the right of the inputs are the A/D sample rates and remote control indication/selection.

It is fully discrete Class A, and runs on the same +/-45v Rail topology as the 5088, so in effect, we've already done the console.

Best,

Josh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio ➑️
I am very excited about this product but I am concerned that the addition of AD converters, while nice and potentially very convenient for some users, is somewhat redundant (and costly) considering most professional users who can afford $4000 pre amps probably have converters already. Though I still want one.
+1 Well said.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
design

picture of inside...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRND ➑️
The controls to the right of the inputs are the A/D sample rates and remote control indication/selection.

It is fully discrete Class A, and runs on the same +/-45v Rail topology as the 5088, so in effect, we've already done the console.

Best,

Josh
Hello Josh,
Would you please tell me if there will be version with no conversion? I'm sure some would like to know about a 2 pre version.
But mostly, will the conversion be an option?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We're waiting for the final knobs to come in, and then we'll do a full round of photography. It looks at least as good on the inside as the outside if that's the kind of thing that you're into.

Final pricing and feature set will be confirmed in the coming weeks. Please be patient. Let us get one product out before we start down the line of derivatives. We're very happy with the performance, and perhaps you should hear what's been done with the converter before you decide you don't need it. There's a little something special going on there I assure you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're waiting for the final knobs to come in, and then we'll do a full round of photography. It looks at least as good on the inside as the outside if that's the kind of thing that you're into.

Final pricing and feature set will be confirmed in the coming weeks. Please be patient. Let us get one product out before we start down the line of derivatives. We're very happy with the performance, and perhaps you should hear what's been done with the converter before you decide you don't need it. There's a little something special going on there I assure you.
Thanks for the quick response. My primary concern is budget. I wish I could get the flagship, but the first reaction a small studio owner like me will have is to hope (with all my heart) Mr. Rupert makes a version I could afford.
But I understand your point...I'll be a patient boy.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i don't need the converter at all (i record onto analog tape), so naturally, i won't need that feature. i'm sure it's great for DAW owners though. incidentally, i really love the fact that it's four channels. my only fear is that i'll buy this model when it ships, then shortly after it'll be released without the A/D converter for a lot less money. i don't mind buying the flagship version, but if there's a converter-less one to follow, i sure hope they announce it upfront.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I bet conversion will be on par with the best in industry (Lavry, Prism, Apogee), but here we talk about pre and for many adding converters would mean to high price.
Any chance to see Fidelis range products in smaller (Portico) enclosures for 5088?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're waiting for the final knobs to come in, and then we'll do a full round of photography.
Cool. I was suspicious of those knobs I saw in the picture. They don't look Nevey.heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's a little something special going on there I assure you.
A special feature perhaps? Tape simulation a la Cranesong perhaps?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
I bet conversion will be on par with the best in industry (Lavry, Prism, Apogee), but here we talk about pre and for many adding converters would mean to high price.
Any chance to see Fidelis range products in smaller (Portico) enclosures for 5088?
The Mic Pres have remote control capabilities, and would ideally live in the studio instead of the Penthouse of the desk.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
Cool. I was suspicious of those knobs I saw in the picture. They don't look Nevey.heh
Yeah the knobs were delivered the day of the NAMM Show, but the anoedizer got the color more than a little wrong, so we had to go with generics.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Mic Pres have remote control capabilities, and would ideally live in the studio instead of the Penthouse of the desk.
I hope there is a nice hardware remote for controlling multiple units, I do not like setting mic gain with a mouse. Is there a dedicated control unit like the Grace m802?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
A?D

What type of A/D output AES 1 wire.2 wire?
πŸ“ Reply