Quantcast
Portico 5012 duo micpreamp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portico 5012 duo micpreamp
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Portico 5012 duo micpreamp

Hi, I´ve read about the Portico 5012 where alot of people says it´s a good preamp. I´ve found a guy that sells his used Portico 5012 dual preamp for $1235.71 .

Is this a nice price, is it worth buying it ?

/Robin
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well, the 5012 retails for $1453+VAT at Funky Junk GB and $2275 at Golden Age, so I guess that it could be worth the asking price of your seller, not really sure how the used market is in Sweden.

Opinons on the 5012 seems to vary slightly, do a search, lots of reviews.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have it and really like it, but to be fair, I have nothing similar (in other words, Neve or Neve-like) to directly compare it to. And yes, that would be considered a good price. It seems to get good reviews, both by reviewers and on the internet, but I've seen some not so good ones as well in some of the forums. I've never seen one that says that it sucks.

They are coming out with a new Fidelis mic preamp soon. 4 mic preamps with much larger transformers, several different kinds of Silk Mode, and 4 A/D converters in a few months (probably April or so), and it'll be about $4800.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used one several times on kick, snare, vox and distorted guitars.
It works really nicely on a bright source but can sound a little dark/dull/muddy on others. It's worth having a nice EQ to go after it too IMO.

The only down side is the calibration of the gain knob, For some reason i always found myself with either slightly too little or slightly too much signal and due to the step-switching I couldn't get it right. To be honest, that is a really minor issue really and it made recall easier.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The only down side is the calibration of the gain knob, For some reason i always found myself with either slightly too little or slightly too much signal and due to the step-switching I couldn't get it right. To be honest, that is a really minor issue really and it made recall easier.
The step knob is in 6dB steps, the trim has 6dBs plus or minus, shouldnt be a problem dialing in.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Everyone's opinion differs, I suppose, but I don't find this preamp to be dark at all.

The previous post about the step/trim knobs is exactly right. You can dial in the gain very precisely, not just in stepped increments.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have one and it gets a lot of use. I actually like the clean mode and use it more than the silk mode. The frequency rolloff is very handy as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Portico and preamp is good, but not as big or bright sounding as my GR ME-1NV. The roll off feature is pretty cool and I use it all the time. For 1200 bucks it would make a nice front end, but I am not sure I would want it as my only front end. I use it for acoustic guitars and bgv's, which I think the "silk" mode handles especially well. I don't quite get the detail from it that I get from my pacifica and GR pres.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I bought a 5012 right after it was released. I have exactly ZERO buyer's remorse and absolutely LOVE the preamp on a variety of sources.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm going to add a 5012 or 5015 to my little Portico collection in a couple of months. The preamp sounds amazing. thumbsup
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have no buyer's remorse either with the Portico, but I would love to hear it go head to head with a Great River. The GR is one of those preamps in which literally everyone I know raves about it...and I've never heard a single bad thing about it.

What I like about the Portico is the ability to switch between clean and Silk Mode, making it a very flexible preamp. And the bass rolloff is wonderful...very useful.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok, thanks for you answers!

I was looking at the API Lunchbox + 512c and/or Great River ME-1 preamp also.

But I´ll wait and see, I´ve read some reviews about the Portico here at Gearslutz.com and it seems to be a nice preamp, but the API does also seem to have alot of positive comments about it.

/Robin
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Another satisfied 5012 user here. Bought it a couple of years ago shortly after it was released. I find it to be very versatile. I like it on LDCs and even use it sometimes as a keyboard pre, although it doesn't have a pad or DI. It does a marvelous job on my Yamaha CP88 electric grand.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenShadows ➡️
I have no buyer's remorse either with the Portico, but I would love to hear it go head to head with a Great River. The GR is one of those preamps in which literally everyone I know raves about it...and I've never heard a single bad thing about it.

What I like about the Portico is the ability to switch between clean and Silk Mode, making it a very flexible preamp. And the bass rolloff is wonderful...very useful.
Thats because when you get to THAT level no preamp is "bad", its just different. Like I couldn't imagine using a 1073 on some GTRs or an ENTIRE album.....but I couldn't imagine cutting vocals on anything else. So anyways, one mans floor is another mans ceiling. That said the GR is a great preamp and thats because its a balanced (tonally) Neve which says allot!
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
That is a very nice preamp, smooth and detailed and the "silk" feature gives it a subtle but classic effect. I'd say go for it.

War
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Thats because when you get to THAT level no preamp is "bad", its just different.
That's exactly how I feel, and it's funny you should write this as I was actually thinking of making a comment like this in this thread as I was reading some of the responses.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok, It´s nice to read you comments. The one who wants to sell this one says he likes the Portico more than the 512c's ...

/Robin
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenShadows ➡️

I borrowed a friend's Great River for a long while, and tried it on a lot of people/different sources. I have owned a 5012 for a few years now. I liked the GR a lot for its presence and size. Its a stronger, brighter preamp than the 5012, with a firm low end weight. BUT, I tried using it on some singers who absolutely hated it. It brought out a midrangey harshness that they didn't dig.

So for me, while the GR is more impressive sounding, it doesn't always work. The 5012 never sounds bad on anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with Thermos. The GR can bring out to much high/mids on a sibilant singer, especially females. I tend to have to de-ess more than with the Portico. That said it just a huge sounding pre that kills on electric guitars and a DI. I have been working with a male baritone rock singer lately and GR is just perfect for him for capturing the size and body of his voice.

The truth is there is no one perfect pre for recording, that is why its nice to have a few and the lunchbox is a great option. Especially if you don't have a compressor and are looking to add one. The Pacifica P1 is a lovely pre for vocals and sometimes the API is the right choice for a more upfront vocal. I hear raves about the Avedis pre too. All these pres are bargain in the lunchbox format.
📝 Reply