The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor
Old 25th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape ➡️
I Know it, 2011 will come, 1 At 101 will Be ordered, payed by me and delivered to me. I will take the pain, but I will have the gain.

Let me know when your ready
Happy Thanksgiving to all you American Gearslutz.
Old 26th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H ➡️
This is so easily the best compressor i ever used, it's really quite silly.
I do not even think of it as a compressor. Its a just an insane tone machine. I have a lot of things that can do great gain reduction, but nothing that can make things sound like the AT-101
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
audio samples?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radic ➡️
audio samples?
Analogue Tube AT-101. A new Fairchild 670 style variable bias compressor | Ronan's Recording Show

You do not need to watch the video, but there are links to audio samples below the video.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail ➡️
11,5 GBP = 16 310,54 USD today...
. . . or you could buy two of Larry Janus' SR-71 compressors and have enough left to buy a retro.

They are not identical to a 670, in that there is not vert/lat switch and the tubes are different. But the conductance of the tubes behaves the same way and they are NOS.

I love that someone has gone to the trouble to make a clone, but I demo'd the SR-71 and it was fabulous. I bought one.

Best,
josh
Deleted User
mhh

dunno, there´s many things you can buy for that money, but I found in my career "the really good stuff`" is what makes the difference, not the "lot of things".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
dunno, there´s many things you can buy for that money, but I found in my career "the really good stuff`" is what makes the difference, not the "lot of things".
Couldn't agree more.
Buy it once and get the best.
Old 27th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not sure if you have my post in mind. The thinking is, what makes a fairchild so cool? What is its essence?

I shall tell you per my thoughts:
-The incredibly unique envelopes of gain reduction (attack, release).
-The incredibly short audio path and unique design.
-The sound of the iron.

Who are the folks who have gone to incredible lengths to recreate Rein's very interesting creation? Anthony Demaria. Larry Janus. The fellas at Analogue Tube. Anthony Demaria sold his 670 for $17k or so; AT is selling theirs for $16.3k, and Larry is selling his for $7k. I'd love to hear a comparison. Actually, William Wittman had a SR71 on demo at Pie Studios for a bit, right along a real 670. He thought is was very high class - like a 670 but doesn't roll off the top octave. Which in my world makes it a candidate for mix buss. This brings to mind that, sometimes people need to spend a ton of money on something, or actually not be able to afford something before they think its very good. I'd be floored if either of the other repro's sound any better than Larry's. Do yourself a favor and demo the damn thing before you drop than kind of coin(!) - or before it becomes more expensive. I want another one!!!

Josh

Quote:

Last edited by bushwick; 27th November 2010 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 28th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=escape;6051927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick ➡️
Not sure if you have my post in mind. The thinking is, what makes a fairchild so cool? What is its essence?

I shall tell you per my thoughts:
-The incredibly unique envelopes of gain reduction (attack, release).
-The incredibly short audio path and unique design.
-The sound of the iron.

Who are ...............

I only know the original fairchild from hearsay. I know it was used in a production I was involved in as " The Artist" in 1989, when i did`nt know anything about recording technology. It did´nt help turn a non hit production into a hit production.
I think I´m aware of the limits of technology.
From what I gather, the At 101 is something worth looking at, since I am dead serious about audio. I know there are other less painful options and off course, I will Taste and Try before I Buy.
I do appreciate your awareness and sympathetic guideance, please do appreciate my hopeful enthusiasm.
Oh man(!), nothing at all intended here but help!! It'd be a strong bet that all of the units mentioned in this thread are fantastic units and whatever makes you happy in the end. I just think dropping the mega-bucks is unnecessary, and thought you ought to know about an alternative I demo'd. Its absolutely worth the demo at least. I'll add that I wish the SR-71 had the vert-lat switch, but that was not worth $9000 to me. The sound was bonkers too and I don't have anything that sounds like it. I seriously would like to have another one and I am sure that sounds piggy. When do does one go from gearslut to gearpig?

Best,
josh
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi Josh,

How would you compare it to Retro 176's?

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeljko ➡️
Hi Josh,

How would you compare it to Retro 176's?

Thanks
Hi Zeljko-

Radically different. The retro is great and love the versatility. I find the asymmetry switch to be quite useful - more so than I had anticipated. Also, the interstage adds girth and tone when I want it. I don't have anything that does what it does. Unique and versatile and doesn't booger up the tone in my book at all. One of those comps that can work in most applications that I've found and not had me shaking my head no.

The SR71 is also unlike anything else I have. If you have experience with healthy V72's then it will be easiest to make a comparison for me. The v72 is my favorite mic pre, even though its not always right; it doesn't have the headroom needed for a lot of things (only +12 or +14). But when its in the right application, it provides a sensation of immediacy, three dimensionality, and of being organic, that I haven't found in any other mic amp. The retro doesn't quite make it to that same level of "thereness" to my ears - which I must emphasize is not a slight with respect to the 176. Its a fabulous piece of gear, something I use with a smile on every tracking session and every mix with a smile. The SR71 does something completely different. If you've not had a fairchild in your hands then its hard to explain. I know it sounds a bit different than a fairchild, or at least have been told it does, but its a color issue. The function is the same and is perhaps more useable than a 670 for most folks because of the color. I've not owned a 670 so I don't know. Seriously and its silly to say. . . I kinda would like a ver/lat switch. But its probably not something I would use that much anyway and once you hear the sound of this thing, it becomes a very slight issue. Spending the kind of money that the other fellas are asking (and the ADL is no longer made) will in all likelihood not ever be something I can even consider. Hell, the SR71 was expensive enough, and without a wife or kids, something I have an easier time working out. The best way to sum up? After my demo period expired, I was very, very, very sad to see it go. I finally ordered one.

Hope that explains things.

josh

With regard to the SR71, it is in the same ballpark as old tele tube gear to my ears. I would say that the music felt more alive and sounded more lifelike to my ears, than any other compressor I put across the mix bus. Its just a GD sweet piece of gear.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick ➡️
Hi Zeljko-

Radically different. The retro is great and love the versatility. I find the asymmetry switch to be quite useful - more so than I had anticipated. Also, the interstage adds girth and tone when I want it. I don't have anything that does what it does. Unique and versatile and doesn't booger up the tone in my book at all. One of those comps that can work in most applications that I've found and not had me shaking my head no.

The SR71 is also unlike anything else I have. If you have experience with healthy V72's then it will be easiest to make a comparison for me. The v72 is my favorite mic pre, even though its not always right; it doesn't have the headroom needed for a lot of things (only +12 or +14). But when its in the right application, it provides a sensation of immediacy, three dimensionality, and of being organic, that I haven't found in any other mic amp. The retro doesn't quite make it to that same level of "thereness" to my ears - which I must emphasize is not a slight with respect to the 176. Its a fabulous piece of gear, something I use with a smile on every tracking session and every mix with a smile. The SR71 does something completely different. If you've not had a fairchild in your hands then its hard to explain. I know it sounds a bit different than a fairchild, or at least have been told it does, but its a color issue. The function is the same and is perhaps more useable than a 670 for most folks because of the color. I've not owned a 670 so I don't know. Seriously and its silly to say. . . I kinda would like a ver/lat switch. But its probably not something I would use that much anyway and once you hear the sound of this thing, it becomes a very slight issue. Spending the kind of money that the other fellas are asking (and the ADL is no longer made) will in all likelihood not ever be something I can even consider. Hell, the SR71 was expensive enough, and without a wife or kids, something I have an easier time working out. The best way to sum up? After my demo period expired, I was very, very, very sad to see it go. I finally ordered one.

Hope that explains things.

josh

With regard to the SR71, it is in the same ballpark as old tele tube gear to my ears. I would say that the music felt more alive and sounded more lifelike to my ears, than any other compressor I put across the mix bus. Its just a GD sweet piece of gear.

Many thanks, Josh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The AT-101 does not have a Lat/Vert mode as far as I know.
It's a Stereo Link mode instead.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On topic please

I'd love to read more about experiences with the SR71, which seems like a superb unit, but with respect to the OP (me) and all of us that actually use the search function to find specific info about specific equipment, could we please discuss AT-101 related stuff only in this thread? You know, the title of it couldn't be clearer. It's not '999 reasons not to buy the AT-101', 'Best bang for the buck 670 clone' and certainly not 'SR71 vs Retro 176' hehhehheh
Cheers!
Old 4th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quite entertaining article about Fairchild compressors by Sylvia Massy in MIX mag. Mentions the AT101 briefly.
http://mixonline.com/recording/gear_stories/gear_stories_fairchild_670/index.html
Old 6th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No, I've not heard it, but.. referencing other manufacturers, can the price be justified in materials/development or have we entered the magical pricing world of audiophillia?
Old 6th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➡️
No, I've not heard it, but.. referencing other manufacturers, can the price be justified in materials/development or have we entered the magical pricing world of audiophillia?
Compared to some of the non 670 clones out there (Retro, Fearn etc) that is superbly built and also a joy to look at and to touch I think the price level is understandable. The effort put into this project obviously is immense. If you could justify these particular two channels of compression in the context of your music and business, and/or compared to other 670 clones is quite another story of course. But if your suspicions are correct and there's a price excess going on here I'd blame it more on the 670 hype than some of the dark vodooish domains of audiophilia.
Old 10th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 ➡️
...But if your suspicions are correct and there's a price excess going on here I'd blame it more on the 670 hype than some of the dark vodooish domains of audiophilia.
True, there is no hokus pokus in the circuit And the build sure looks great.
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Here´s a little story I got to tell. A gearslutz dream. The recent sleeping ongoing discussion about the stereo limiter available from Analoguetube. An afternoon in may this year(2014) I borrowed a AT-101 from fellow gearslut unit7. A very generous gesture to let me test the AT-101 in my own studio enviroment. A big thanks to unit7! He owns two AT-101´s and he has a wonderful studio(with windows in the control room!) and very exquisite equipment.

The Analoguetube limiter is heavy and me & unit7 decided to drive the AT-101 with car even though our respective studios are within 3-4 minutes of walking distance from each other. We could easily have used a trolley but we didn´t want to risk any damages coming from wheel vibrations during pulling the unit on the sidewalks of Stockholm. .)

I fired up the AT-101 in my studio and tested it on the 2-buss with various music. It felt like a special moment. I have read about the esoteric Fairchild 670 limiter. Though I havn´t come across an original Fairchild in my lifetime. Here I had a by the words of Analoguetube a faithful 670 replica. Big expectations was in the air.

I know from experinence that I easily get carried away when testing something new. I´m also childishly impressed with expensive equipment . I tried to stay sober during the testing.

After warming up the tubes for an hour a beautiful tone spread it´s claws through the spectrum when patching the AT-101 in. Najs! The image became more three dimensional. A free ticket to a bigger, rounder low end without turning up a kick or the bass in the mix. Am I getting drunk? A weight had been added to the body of the track. The glue factor. Notes appeared to be extended in a good way like the AT-101 managed to slow time down so that the musicians played everything perfectly in time with the song. I didn´t notice any dulling of the higher freq.. All this executed in a sublime and natural way without the obvious comp/limit. artifacts. Wow! That´s it!

The last thirty minutes of testing I quickly played around with the input gain, threshold settings and the time constant. It´s possible to get upfront efx like offerings when really pushing things with for an example a good preamp(read Neve) before the AT-101(it can swallow many db´s) I didn´t have time to experiment on individual instruments, voices or such. The afternoon tea was over.

I`d prefer to leave my 2-buss alone, moderate limiting at most or there is something wrong with my mix. Ideally as little transformers, gain stages, eq´s and processing as possible. Though the AT-101 tube limiter is hard to deny. It`s a gearslutz dream.

A month after the testing I talked to George Massenburg on Skype concerning some of his technical creations that I own and use. I was reminded on his aesthetic approach with transformerless equipment with as transparent sound as possible. I don´t think that he would turn to a Fairchild 670 as his first go to limiter. Though a mastering engineer would probably be very happy to touch one of his mixes with the AT-101.

It was hard to forget about the monster tube limiter. Very soon I will recieve a AT-101 of my own. Simon at Analoguetube have been very nice to deal with.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apa4000 ➡️
Very soon I will recieve a AT-101 of my own. Simon at Analoguetube have been very nice to deal with.
Wow, great news! Congrats! I guess eventually we'll have to setup all three for a session, at least a photo session..
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 ➡️
Wow, great news! Congrats! I guess eventually we'll have to setup all three for a session, at least a photo session..
Thank you! I'm happy about it. I had to sell some stuff to finance the buy. Let's get together and setup the units in a chain and hear what that sounds like. You only live once!

QRS
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Apa4K - great story! BiG fun with the monster! what color did you choose?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRS ➡️
Apa4K - great story! BiG fun with the monster! what color did you choose?
Thank you for enjoying QRS! Please let me know if you have any questions. Or do you perhaps own a beast of your own?

The easy part was to choose the different options available when ordering a AT-101. Bypass, lat/vert(MS) option, silent fan, and custom shock mount case. The hard part was to decide on the tubemonster's color. Blue. Simon at Analoguetube have sent me photos during the building of the AT-101. Please see below for a pic of the front panel before lat/vert and bypass ingraving.

Attached Thumbnails
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor-image_6865.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apa4000 ➡️
The hard part was to decide on the tubemonster's color. Blue.
Color envy.
Old 28th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lusting here - amazing piece
Old 3rd November 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hello unit7,

Thank you for your thread. I am thinking to get either AT-101 or At-1. I asked Simon about noise floor, then he told me "The normal noise floor (THD+n) is typically specified at around -80db". I think it is little bit louder than I thought...

Does noise floor bothers you while you are using them? (I will be using them on 2bus and tracking like you do)

Also, have you compare with original 670? I personally used 2 original 670. One was serial #200's and the other was within #10's. I can not forget about that sound... It is too far for me to check the real sound of AT-101/AT-1. So, if you have that experience, please share your impressions.

Thank you!

Tadaki
Old 3rd November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaki ➡️
Hello unit7,

Thank you for your thread. I am thinking to get either AT-101 or At-1. I asked Simon about noise floor, then he told me "The normal noise floor (THD+n) is typically specified at around -80db". I think it is little bit louder than I thought...

Does noise floor bothers you while you are using them? (I will be using them on 2bus and tracking like you do)

Also, have you compare with original 670? I personally used 2 original 670. One was serial #200's and the other was within #10's. I can not forget about that sound... It is too far for me to check the real sound of AT-101/AT-1. So, if you have that experience, please share your impressions.

Thank you!

Tadaki
Regarding Nose Floor:
We have more than a few clients that use the AT-101 for mastering purposes.
In fact one user is Miles Showell (mastering for Abbey Road) who has tested and used quite a few of our stereo units on actual mastering sessions.

There are plenty of comments and reviews on the link below if curious.
Analoguetube Fairchild 670 and 660 compressor recreations

Hope this helps.
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. But, I already knew about those links you gave me. I would like to know "User Voice", not the comments on the manufacture's page...

I email with Simon these days, then so many of my questions are solved. But, about these questions(real feeling of "Noise Floor" and "Compare with original 660/670"), I really would like to know from real user voice as reference....

I do respect all the work Simon and You all does. I did my research on recreation of 660/670, then I found/believe you as the best one.

I am not against you, I am not giving "99 reason for not buy AT-101/AT-1", neither. So, please do not misunderstand my post.

I asked these questions, because I am seriously considering to purchase one for myself. Also, I have experienced with 2 original 670, but I have no experience with AT-101/AT-1.

AT-101/AT-1 are inexpensive(in many ways) compare to original, but it is still big money for me, and I really need to clear my self before I purchase gear that I never have tried/experienced with.

If my questions are little sensitive to answer, any AT-101/AT-1 users, please PM me. Also, if any of you are uncomfortable with my post on this thread, please PM me for that, too. I will delete it immediately.

Thank you

Tadaki
Old 4th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaki ➡️
Hello unit7,

Thank you!

Tadaki
Tadaki,
it's always nice to talk Analoguetube!
Re noise, first I have to say, knowledge-wise I'm probably 90% musician/10%engineer, so discussing noise measurements I think you should talk to one of the mastering engineers using this. Masi from Studio 57 (Finland) is sometimes here, but also eMastering (Holland), but with 30+ units out now I'm sure there are more. Personally I'd be encouraged after reading Darius post in this thread, written after he demoed. Check out his mastering studio (also Holland), it's beyond hi end. All I can say myself is don't worry, it's super quiet.

The things you should monitor is noise coming from tubes that go bad, and I believe 6386 is known for a shorter life span than many other tubes. Since 2009 I've had one tube failing, but I certainly haven't used it 24/7. I've had two other cases when I thought tubes were going bad, but it turned out to be oxide and fixed by reseating the tube 5-10 times.

One very cool thing about the tubes is that they have a serial number and are measured in the factory and the measurements are stored by them (and Simon), so when you need a new tube you'll be able to replace with same value tube.

Ok, so the sound compared to an original 670.. Me too have encountered two different 670s and one 660 during my 30 yrs in the business, so I'm not anyway near being a FC expert. Did they sound the same? No idea, probably not. And since I haven't had my units in the same room as an original or other 670 clones, I can't say anything on the subject.

What I do know is that one of the 670s was far too moody for mastering work. It could need a whole day powered up to behave, but still a bit unstable and far too noisy for mastering. The other studio I worked in with a 670 also had a mastering room. The 670 remained in the recording studio.

My only comment on the sound would be that from my memory those 670s and the 660 (that I've tracked/mixed more with than the 670s) were very colored and gave 'instant vintage'. I don't think this is the case w the AT101. Though it gives a wonderful tone I think it sounds more hi fi.

I think the action of the compressor resembles the feeling I got from the originals. Majestic and effortless.

As posted in the beginning of this thread I went to London on two occasions to spend some time with it, and I got the same sensation both times, which made me go for it. Since then I've compared many times with the other comps in my arsenal (you could check my homepage via my profile) and for the stuff I do mostly - jazz and acoustic stuff - nothing touches it on the mix bus. Since June I've got it paired with a pair of Pulse techniques eqs here and needless to say I feel very privileged. But, as you mention, this is such an investment and important decision that I would urge you to in one way or another get to work with it before you decide instead of listening to others, including me.

I'm not sure I could be of more help, but I'd gladly discuss more here when I have the time, or via PM if you prefer.

Best!
Paul
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi unit7/Paul,

Thank you for kindly reply. It really helps me a lot!

Thanks!

Tadaki
📝 Reply