Quantcast
Mixing drums on the buss. Parallel bussing. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing drums on the buss. Parallel bussing.
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mixing drums on the buss. Parallel bussing.

Hey fellow slutz-

I have been working on some different bussing ideas for drums and would love some input. Typically I compress snare and kick as a mono inset (depending on the tune) and route all the drums including gated toms out to two busses. On one of those busses I slap a stereo compressor (Neve Portico typically) Then I have parallel compression set up that I can blend. Those two busses are routed out to single buss so I can adjust my drum master on the fly in the mix.

The issue is where to insert reverbs? I have been doing it as an aux send on each of the channels because I tend to favor move reverb on the snare than other inputs. Obviously the compressed buss affects the reverb.

Any thoughts or words of advice on set ups for bussing drums? Thanks!
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️

Any thoughts or words of advice on set ups for bussing drums? Thanks!
Sure...use your ears.

And don't be afraid to try reverb on other parts of the kit like the kick or toms.

Basically the old adage what ever is sounding good and appropriate for the song that's in front of you works than go for it.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
don't be afraid to fold some of that verb back into the compression, too, or give it it's own compressor, or both.

gregory scott - 'ubk'
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I especially like to have the send on the indiv channels and not compress the reverb but tailor it exactly as you need to get the spot on sound youre after.

The main reason is energy, here's why;

If kick and snare are grouped and compressed together they will be louder if either one ISN'T playing (Fills...). This results in the fact that the ratio between dry signal and reverb fluctuates....Since more reverb tends to push back sounds this will result in less reverb on your snare when the kick isn't playing, bringing it forward! When the kick comes back the snare will be a little less loud but the reverb stays at the same level so it pushed back a little....

Hope this wasn't too hard to follow (I'm dutch you see so I don't know all the right words )

Cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
.....sometimes i love the way the drum bus comp interacts with the reverb on drums.....but i mostly use small room verbs on drums (and even better room mics), so it actually make them more natural sounding, something like a glue thing.....

why don't you route the reverb returns directly to the single overall drum bus avoiding the parallel compression?....
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
duplicate the snare track and effect it separately then blend that into the mix.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nickodemus......That worked!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
problems bussing drums

Hey folks........ I'm having some real issues with parallel compression and the drum buss.

Here's my set up: I'm tracking 8 tracks of live drums through an apogee rosetta
800 and various mic pres into Digital Performer and out of a Yamaha 02R.
The 02R is set up fairly old school with 8 channels of drums. I have many options at this point. I can use compression from the 02R on separate channels or I can use the
array of plug ins I have in DP. All in all I get a pretty good sound. I'm not tracking in a great big room, buy with altiverb I can create some pretty good spaces.

I've heard that by using a send to an aux track and putting mucho compression on the
aux track I can create yet a bigger sound. I've tried doing this in DP only to get some pretty nasty phase cancellation. The MOTU techies say I'm tracking the drums with
phase cancellation but when I try this in a simple PT LE mbox set up, I'm able to blend
the original drums with the aux track just fine. The only difference here would be in the PT set up everything is coming out of one stereo output and in the motu set up the 8
channels of drums are being mixed with stereo aux channel with comp.

I see that Chuck Ainlay does this consistently when he mixes drums and I would imagine he's using a fairly large board with separate outs for each drum and not mixing in the box.

I am getting a good sound without this procedure but still would love to find why I
can't do this obviously simple thing.

thanks Folks for any input.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
my guess might be that in DP there is some latency with the plugin on athe aux which might cause some phasey sounds
πŸ“ Reply