Quantcast
Neumann M 150 vs. Sony C-800G???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann M 150 vs. Sony C-800G????
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Neumann M 150 vs. Sony C-800G????

Hello, I am new to this site I am a music producer, I do a lot of work in the latin market for many different labels both major and independent... I am looking to upgrade my studio and buy a new microphone I was certain that the mic I wanted was the M 150 but after reading some reviews, I guess it was mainly designed for recording strings etc... Now, altho I plan on recording some strings I will mainly be recording vocals.... I have heard of the Sony C-800G and just like the M 150 the reviews are pretty much in the middle some love it some are a lil confused about them... I want a thick pristine vocal, I do mainly Hip Hop, Reggaeton, Bachata and other latin genres and some times we record just one lead vocal other times 2 or 4 or in pairs... Can anyone suggest which is best? or if there are any others I should be considering maybe the Manley Gold Reference Stereo mic... IDK I am confused....
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Sony is the go to vocal mic in rap and hip hop but it isn't thick sounding by any stretch. It has a rise in the high end that can make sources sound thin when compared to other mics. The reason it is used so much in certain styles of music is that it stacks well. Many people, when they hear the mic for the first time, are confused why it sounds so different from their favorite songs. When you hear how it stacks, then you understand the effect it has on sources. I have no first hand experience with the Neumann M-150 to comment. Regardless, don't spend the asking price without trying the mic. The Sony is fairly common in better equipped studios so go rent an hour or two and try it. That is simply too much $$$ for blindly shopping and the C800G doesn't hold resale value terribly well (esp. in this economy) if you don't like it.
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get a second hand Manley Ref C. Best bang for buck and the best male vocal mic I have ever tried, and I have tried many.... Replace the tube with a vintage Telefunken for a cleaner sound, unless you like the roughness of the original tube. Many do... By comparison, the Gold Reference sounds duller, but is more versitile and can be EQ'ed more. The ref c does not take a lot of hf boost, but that is because it is already heavily boosted in the top. And the top is very nice. Sounds very close to the C-800G. Very.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys, so I get what you mean about stacking vocals, what about nice preamp for the mic I was going to run it thru a Manley VoxBox, do you recommend maybe a preamp or channel strip that might make the sound thicken a lil? also just curious does the price of the c800g drop drmatically in comparison to maybe a neumann mic? Thanks again...
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Note that the M-150 is an omni mic, and if you're looking for a vocal mic I would suggest something with a cardioid pattern as an option. No one says you can't use an omni for vocals, but for that kind of money you might want something less limiting.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
for your style of music i will go for the sony c800g .
Lives for gear

"I want a thick pristine vocal, I do mainly Hip Hop, Reggaeton, Bachata and other latin genres and some times we record just one lead vocal other times 2 or 4 or in pairs... Can anyone suggest which is best?"

Thick, that's a Neumann U-87. And you can get the Ai one as opposed to the older 87's. The Ai's sound great.

"Pristine" just means old.

The 87 is pretty much a fool-proof microphone. You can record any style of vocal with it, and the vocalist will perform well. Something about its design makes it easier to sing into - especially when paired with a good pre.

I know it's an obvious recommendation, but this is the mic I'm coming to swear by. I never wanted to endorse it because to many people, it's "old news;" plus, they've got $8,000 mics sitting around in their locker too.

So is it a U-47? No. But you wouldn't want a U-47 for what you're doing.

And is it an ELAM-251 or an AKG C-12? No. It's not. But you'll never have a problem with sibilance, you'll always get something that pops out in a mix, and you'll have a very eq-friendly sound as well.

Just my 2 cents. Obviously, the more important thing is that you put good talent/performances into any microphone/gear, or music will never sound good enough. =) Cheers, brother, and best of luck in your choices.

*You can pick up an 87 for under $2,000 on eBay, by the way. Yes, I know that sounds obvious/old-news/bogus too, but hey: it works.

Brad
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
C800G all the way ...
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch ➑️
The Sony is the go to vocal mic in rap and hip hop but it isn't thick sounding by any stretch. It has a rise in the high end that can make sources sound thin when compared to other mics. The reason it is used so much in certain styles of music is that it stacks well. Many people, when they hear the mic for the first time, are confused why it sounds so different from their favorite songs. When you hear how it stacks, then you understand the effect it has on sources. I have no first hand experience with the Neumann M-150 to comment. Regardless, don't spend the asking price without trying the mic. The Sony is fairly common in better equipped studios so go rent an hour or two and try it. That is simply too much $$$ for blindly shopping and the C800G doesn't hold resale value terribly well (esp. in this economy) if you don't like it.

The Sony doesn't sound thin too me. I have a couple of vintage Neumanns and from all the mics I tried it's right up there with them.

I think it's a bit narrow minded to consider the C800 only for Rap and R&B. (not that you did)

It's a lush sounding microphone, with lots of top end and a very warm, almost vintage sounding character.

To my ears when I compared them, the Manley and Brauner sounded very unpleasant and harsh. (I'm sure someone will say the opposite! It's like comparing monitors, women, etc..)

The Sony C800G is and always will be a classic. Right up there with the Neumann's U47, M49, U67.

The M150 I would not use for vocals (although I once did and it sounded quite nice), but as said before it's omni only and that would be very limiting for vocals.

There are cheaper mics than the Sony and vintage Neumanns but you get what you pay.

I would also try a couple of Microtech Gefells. They were Neumann before the war. Excellent mics!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
*** Bold type = my comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother ➑️
The Sony doesn't sound thin too me. I have a couple of vintage Neumanns and from all the mics I tried it's right up there with them.

I think it's a bit narrow minded to consider the C800 only for Rap and R&B. (not that you did)

*** My response was based on his stated application. In fact, if a studio has a C800G and hip hop is the project, I would bet that more than 90% of artists and their producers will start the vocal mic search with the Sony. It is ubiquitous on successful urban music.

It's a lush sounding microphone, with lots of top end and a very warm, almost vintage sounding character.

*** I have never heard the C800G described as having vintage character. What mic would you compare it to? The ones I have used were very modern and crisp with a "scooped" EQ quality inherent to the mic.

To my ears when I compared them, the Manley and Brauner sounded very unpleasant and harsh. (I'm sure someone will say the opposite! It's like comparing monitors, women, etc..)

The Sony C800G is and always will be a classic. Right up there with the Neumann's U47, M49, U67.

*** Agreed. It is indeed a modern classic.

The M150 I would not use for vocals (although I once did and it sounded quite nice), but as said before it's omni only and that would be very limiting for vocals.

There are cheaper mics than the Sony and vintage Neumanns but you get what you pay.

I would also try a couple of Microtech Gefells. They were Neumann before the war. Excellent mics!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Those 2 are very different mics.

The M150 is not really a vocal mic. Great for rooms but VERY colored. It does something with the highs - similar to the M149 - that doesn't sound natural but it has that "record" quality. I like them.

I've never been a fan of the C800G. The way its voiced up high sounds bad to me. A constant whistle-like resonance I can't get rid of!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I think the u87 is a good mic and I have used it on a bunch of my projects, I think it sounds great... but like you guys said you get what you pay for, I am trying to increase the quality of my work 1000%... I am sure like most of you guys can hear the difference between a $500 mic and a $1500, now you can definitely hear the difference between let's say a Neumann TLM 103 and a U87... I know this might be a mistake but I tend to think that the reason something might sound better than the other is because is more expensive... and what I think is that when you are buying a microphone as expensive as the Sony C-800G you are definitely going to get your moneys worth... no???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyp ➑️
...I know this might be a mistake but I tend to think that the reason something might sound better than the other is because is more expensive...
It's not safe to assume that just because you paid a lot for something it will sound good. It may sound good to someone else's ears (or on someone else's sources) but not to you. You should definitely listen before you buy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own the U87 and the c800g. They're very different and highly complimentary to each other.
I don't feel the need to buy anyother mic.. but well.. I'm into RnB/Hip Hopheh
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother ➑️

word
πŸ“ Reply