Quantcast
Difference between SM7 vs. SM7b? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Difference between SM7 vs. SM7b?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Difference between SM7 vs. SM7b?

I just learned that they have an older version of the Shure SM7b. Is there much of a difference between the two? I have the newer version and wonder if the older one sounds better and/or what's the difference?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Here's the official answer from Shure. Some people say they prefer the SM7 to the SM7b. Even more say they can't tell the difference. There are undoubtedly far more who haven't had the opportunity to try both. You'll probably have to listen to the two to see for yourself.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
Here's the official answer from Shure. Some people say they prefer the SM7 to the SM7b. Even more say they can't tell the difference. There are undoubtedly far more who haven't had the opportunity to try both. You'll probably have to listen to the two to see for yourself.

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything major by having the newer SM7b.
Old 30th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
I finally took the time to do a test. You can hear the files and look at an FFT here, in Post 2:

SM57 vs. SM7 listening tests - 3dB

Decide for yourself.
Old 30th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a US SM7, a mexican made SM7 and an SM7B. Could of been the way the US one aged, but it is a little thinner and more forward in the high mids with a little less low low end. I prefer the Mexican SM7 of the three. The SM7B is good if nto a little lacking in the bizarre flavor of the older ones, but again, i bought them both used so i have no idea how they were kept and how they came to be in my posession, so take this all with a grain of salt. The SM7B is less susceptible to noise, which is good because i generally need to give these babies 60 dbs.
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I remember a few years back reading Bruce Swedien stories and him being very selective about saying he used an SM7 on Michael Jackson's vocals and not an SM7b. Stumbled across this today by accident and I thought I'd update the topic.

Short version: It's clear why he was so specific, they sound very different. The Mexican and USA models sound the same as each other but the SM7b sounds more dull in comparison.

📝 Reply